The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-13-2016, 03:52 PM   #1
bautino95

reproduction door panels

hi, Im changing over parts of my interior to black so its not all blue. anyways I have a 1971 and looking for black door panels. I did a search but all of the threads were saying that fitment was bad and people didnt like the plastic backing. I was wondering if the new repro door panels still suck. I was thinking about getting plain steel and painting them black. or getting completed 69 or 70-71 panels. Thanks
bautino95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 03:55 PM   #2
bautino95

Re: reproduction door panels

Pic
Attached Images

Old 11-14-2016, 09:45 AM   #3
StingRay

I saw this at SEMA this year. The vendor was OER and it's a proper injection molded part. It wasn't the same type of plastic as OE as far as I could tell and was probably something like ABS. This panel was painted and likely being a non olefin type plastic would take paint very well. They only have them as the base panel and not the scrolled deluxe panel. It was a very good looking piece. I can't speak for fitment but by appearance I'm guessing it'll be a good fit.
Attached Images

Last edited by StingRay; 11-14-2016 at 09:56 AM.
StingRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 05:20 PM   #4
cleszkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by StingRay View Post
I saw this at SEMA this year. The vendor was OER and it's a proper injection molded part. It wasn't the same type of plastic as OE as far as I could tell and was probably something like ABS. This panel was painted and likely being a non olefin type plastic would take paint very well. They only have them as the base panel and not the scrolled deluxe panel. It was a very good looking piece. I can't speak for fitment but by appearance I'm guessing it'll be a good fit.
That is a 72 year only door panel. I think bautino95 is looking for 71 door panels. Either way, its good to know that someone else is reproducing the 72 door panels. The ones that are currently being repopped are complete junk.
cleszkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 05:26 PM   #5
bautino95

Is it only the 72 repro that's junk or all 67-72 panels. I'm looking to change my 71 blue panel to a 69 black panel. I don't like the fake wood strip along the top of the 71. I was looking a classic industries and thought about getting the complete 69 panel. Or just new steel panel with new black vinyl and rewraping it myself.
Old 11-14-2016, 05:36 PM   #6
LongBox

The more I read about the problems with repop parts, the more I just scratch my head. Why don't they make them right?

Another thought: I have a base model 69 GMC. The door panels are cheap tin stampings. They don't deteriorate much, and they are easy to repair: just work the dents, sand, and paint them.

-69 GMC 910 Long Box, 350
-98 Chev Silverado 1500, 350 Vortec 4L60e
-08 Mustang GT Convertible
LongBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 09:27 AM   #7
StingRay

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleszkie View Post
That is a 72 year only door panel. I think bautino95 is looking for 71 door panels. Either way, its good to know that someone else is reproducing the 72 door panels. The ones that are currently being repopped are complete junk.
I was thinking he was talking this style because of the plastic reference. Are the earlier repops on plastic? Scary. I actually had a late 71 that was definitely not a 72 with this style panel. It didn't have the screw holes the 72's have to keep them from popping off when the door is slammed.
Old 11-15-2016, 11:16 AM   #8
custom10nut

I have a 70, and was in the same boat. Buy new or repair old. What I did, "just to be a little different", was repair a set of deluxe panels from a 68 CST. The bottoms were starting to rust out, but the vinyl is in very good shape, so I carefully peeled it back rebuilt the bottom edge, and painted the metal with rust inhibitor. Then I painted the vinyl to match my interior. Not show winner quality, but look pretty good. I also repaired my originals back to "pretty good". I thought about doing this with the metal panels too, but couldn't find two good ones to use.
custom10nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 12:19 PM   #9
coreyjhen

Quote:
Originally Posted by custom10nut View Post
I have a 70, and was in the same boat. Buy new or repair old. What I did, "just to be a little different", was repair a set of deluxe panels from a 68 CST. The bottoms were starting to rust out, but the vinyl is in very good shape, so I carefully peeled it back rebuilt the bottom edge, and painted the metal with rust inhibitor. Then I painted the vinyl to match my interior. Not show winner quality, but look pretty good. I also repaired my originals back to "pretty good". I thought about doing this with the metal panels too, but couldn't find two good ones to use.
So, are you saying that you put the vinyl directly over stock metal panels? I ask because my truck has good metal panels, and I want to put in vinyl. I see that Brothers offers the vinyl covers without the backing, and I'd like to put them over my metal.
coreyjhen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 09:05 PM   #10
bautino95

Well I bought 2 new metal panel and 2 69 Vinyl covers, I'll let you know how it turns out.
Old 11-15-2016, 09:28 PM   #11
custom10nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by coreyjhen View Post
So, are you saying that you put the vinyl directly over stock metal panels? I ask because my truck has good metal panels, and I want to put in vinyl. I see that Brothers offers the vinyl covers without the backing, and I'd like to put them over my metal.
You can do it with the metal panels and get some thin foam backer from a craft store to glue in between the vinyl and metal.
What i did was just repair the old panel with new steel, and re-glue the vinyl .
If you choose to do this. Try the foam underlayment for floating hardwood floors.
Glue this to the vinyl first, then prep the metal and apply the glue, and carefully put them together. Use the 3M glue for headliners, I've had good results with it and it gives you time to work things into place
custom10nut is offline   Reply With Quote