The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-16-2016, 06:50 PM   #1
chris989

89 tbi no spark all the sudden

Hello All,

I searched and could not find an answer.

My truck has been running flawlessly and yesterday, no start. I thought it was the fuel pump, but after tossing a little gas in the tbi, still no fire.

I went down the trouble shooting chart and got to number 5, I did not have a way to test with <8 volts so i just bought a new coil and still no spark. The only other option it the module.

It has a new summit billet distributor and they are sending a new on free of charge.

My question is, if this new distributor does not do the trick, does anyone know of something i have over looked?

Thanks,
Chris
Attached Images

chris989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 07:19 AM   #2
D13

Re: 89 tbi no spark all the sudden

No spark on TBI is usually module or wiring. You need to verify the module is getting proper voltage and that the wiggling the distributor wires does not cause an issue. If it were an original distributor I would say look at the pick up coil to module wiring also.
Plug wires with high resistance can cause module failure. Also aftermarket modules do not have the feedback protection in Delco modules, if the problem happens again ohm check the plug and coil wires and check for a broken / cracked spark plug.
Plus a mess o' tractors
D13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 11:12 AM   #3
chris989

Quote:
Originally Posted by D13 View Post
No spark on TBI is usually module or wiring. You need to verify the module is getting proper voltage and that the wiggling the distributor wires does not cause an issue. If it were an original distributor I would say look at the pick up coil to module wiring also.
Plug wires with high resistance can cause module failure. Also aftermarket modules do not have the feedback protection in Delco modules, if the problem happens again ohm check the plug and coil wires and check for a broken / cracked spark plug.
thanks for the reply,

I should have the new distributor by the end of the day. Everything is new, I have taylor 8mm wires, and the summit billet dist, (mallory or msd i read).

Summit did not have a part number to replace the module, which concerns me in the future, so they sent an entire new one.

I will update tonight if i can get it installed.

Are these modules that sensitive? the old dist have 300k+ mile on it. This new one 5000K
Old 11-17-2016, 11:11 PM   #4
chris989

SOLVED,

swapped in new module and fired right up. Not sure if it was an odd failure or if the summit brand dist id problematic.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/s...v2500-suburban

i guess i will keep a spare module and phillips under the seat just in case.
Old 11-18-2016, 08:15 AM   #5
D13

If it repeats check the plug and coil wires. I was getting module failure every 5000 miles, due to a new but marginal Accel plug wire.
Plus a mess o' tractors
D13 is offline   Reply With Quote