The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-03-2014, 12:23 AM   #1
Bret B

Steering draglink contact crossmemeber

The next minor set back in the power steering conversion. Refresher, CPP power steering box, bracket, idler arm, and suspension/brakes. The issue with the bolt is resolved as a new one is enroute from CPP, thanks again Danny C, and all the guys on here.

Current set back. The center draglink, is making contact with the main crossmember. This is the fit check I'm doing as I would do with anything. The box is tightened up, the idler arm is installed with the spacer on the outboard side of the frame and this is the Factory '65 draglink attached to the CPP Pitman arm and idler. The center link is tapered, so I believe I have it going the right direction, but if I don't please tell me, and this would solve all the issues....hopefully. The pitman arm is snug on the box, not torqued as of yet, but I don't think that will make that much of an impact on clearance. I've done a search thru old threads and came close, but no success. Meaning, I find threads that mention it is extremely close, or there isn't an issue with the center link to crossmember clearance. Attached are few pictures of what the situation is. First pic, the arm is pushed all the way to one side as if making a left turn. The other two are "centered" or as close as possible, but it won't go further in the travel.
Attached Images

.................|_/(0)\_ll____/(0)_l.
Bret B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 02:13 AM   #2
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Re: Steering draglink contact crossmemeber

I'm thinking you have the draglink on backwards. Try flipping it end for end. The taper for the tierods should be such that they will be on the back side of the draglink. Between the draglink and the crossmember.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 07:17 AM   #3
bj383ss

Here is a shot of its position. I took it off and then laid it on the frame so I knew which way to put it back. The tie rod mounts should be leaning back towards the cab starting from the bottom.

Old 08-03-2014, 12:04 PM   #4
luvbowties

Smile Re: Steering draglink contact crossmemeber

Double-check the lengths, eye-center to eye-center, of both the pitman arm and the idler arm. I don't know what pitman arm CPP uses; but its length must be the same as the idler arm--else idler arm would need changing to match.

You may even need to upgrade the idler arm to a newer-year style, positioned in tune with the new pitman arm-steering box combo...

Last edited by luvbowties; 08-03-2014 at 12:16 PM. Reason: added info
luvbowties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 12:25 PM   #5
B_Bob

Here's a couple pics of a stock '65 for reference. I also measured the idler arm at 5 7/8" center to center. Hope this helps.
Attached Images

B_Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 12:38 PM   #6
B_Bob

It looks to me like you have the drag link in the correct position, but what are the thick washers you have between the pitman and idler arms and the drag link? I don't see anything like that on the stock setup.
Attached Images

Old 08-03-2014, 12:56 PM   #7
Bret B

Thanks guys, it is good to know I have the center link in the correct position.

Bob, the thick washers are actually a rubber or spongy material, not metal.

Everything except the center link is new from CPP, but I'll go out now, double check the measurements on the idler and pitman to see if they are the same.

Based on the pic Bob included, the point of contact on my link is lower on the crossmember than near the top as seen in Bob's pic. Would this be an possible indicator the pitman arm will go up on the splines another 1/4 inch? Hmmm just thinking out loud....I don't have a pitman arm puller, so if I do sinch the pitman arm down, I'm stuck with where it is......hmmmmm
Old 08-03-2014, 01:03 PM   #8
Bret B

WOW........If the idler arm length and the pitman arm are supposed to be the same length, then there is a huge discrepancy. The pitman arm is 5.2" long from center to center. The idler arm is just shy of 6 inches from center to center.

Thoughts on if this is acceptable differences? I don't see a part number on the CPP back for the idler arm and there isn't one stamped on the idler itself either.

Just measured the idler arm I replaced about 15+years ago. The center to center measurement on that is 5.9 inches. This is telling me there isn't an issue with the idler arm, or the pitman. I am leaning toward the tightening of the pitman and the ends of the center link as being the difference between the rub and just enough clearance.

Last edited by Bret B; 08-03-2014 at 01:11 PM. Reason: measurements
Old 08-03-2014, 01:59 PM   #9
B_Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bret B View Post
WOW........If the idler arm length and the pitman arm are supposed to be the same length, then there is a huge discrepancy. The pitman arm is 5.2" long from center to center. The idler arm is just shy of 6 inches from center to center.

Thoughts on if this is acceptable differences? I don't see a part number on the CPP back for the idler arm and there isn't one stamped on the idler itself either.

Just measured the idler arm I replaced about 15+years ago. The center to center measurement on that is 5.9 inches. This is telling me there isn't an issue with the idler arm, or the pitman. I am leaning toward the tightening of the pitman and the ends of the center link as being the difference between the rub and just enough clearance.
That would be my opinion as well. It seems that as you tighten everything, it will move up and forward a bit. that should get you the clearance you need. Good luck.
Old 08-03-2014, 02:41 PM   #10
Bret B

Thanks Bob, I'll need the luck..........good or bad, I seem to have the later on most endeavors. Ah, I'll just grind it till there's clearance (insert retorical sarcastic tone of voice). What could go wrong?
Old 08-03-2014, 04:30 PM   #11
luvbowties

Smile Re: Steering draglink contact crossmemeber

Re: equal length pitman and idler arms, this is what I based my earlier statement on:

http://www.freeasestudyguides.com/id...g-linkage.html.

Yet, I recall my 1st ps-conversion, on a 1966--years ago. I adapted a later (unknown year) ps box w/its pitman, using spacers, and bolted it to the frame 'wherever the box wanted to go' after attaching the box/pitman to the factory '66 center link. After hanging first bolt, I did eyeball the clearance between x-member and drag link before drilling next hole. But, I did absolutely nothing to the stock idler arm--still not knowing today how near to same length the idler was to pitman. I'd agree to beginner's luck if someone accused me of that!

If all else seems to fail, the box may be mounted too close to the firewall.

I, too, send a good luck to your endeavor.
Sam
luvbowties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 01:40 AM   #12
SIXT8LOU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bret B View Post
Thanks Bob, I'll need the luck..........good or bad, I seem to have the later on most endeavors. Ah, I'll just grind it till there's clearance (insert retorical sarcastic tone of voice). What could go wrong?
hello, i know this is a old thread but what was the outcome with the draglink?. Iam having the same issue, my link is actually laying almost entirely on the crossmember..thanks
SIXT8LOU is offline   Reply With Quote