The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-18-2016, 11:04 PM   #1
Beer can

So-Cal junkyards

I'm in Orange Co. and have been to most all the ones here as well as close by like Wilmington Ontario and so fourth . I know there all kinda hit or miss but before I trek out to far I'd kinda like an idea if it's worth the trip . I'll give you an example the pick a part on beach Blvd is not very square body friendly.. The ecology in Santa Fe springs / Whittier usually has at least some.I'm thinking high desert area and any opinions are welcome . I don't mind a drive say 2 hours each way so I'm open to any ideas (any good ones down San Diego way) or any in Ventura? P.s. If you know of one that may be lite on squares but has cool stuff I'd still be interested. When I was in my early 20s an older guy I knew took me to one in L.A. county that had a tank and a v.w.powerd airplane among other kool things can't remember were it was . Enough rambling thanks for lookin
Beer can is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 10:52 PM   #2
1774btcrew

Re: So-Cal junkyards

I have been to all of the yards in the area and don't think one is more squarebody friendly than the others. It is all hit or miss. Just have to hit them regularly. That being said, I have never found much at the Beach Blvd or Katella yards

1972 Cheyenne Super Short Bed big block "Blackie"
1977 Crew Cab GMC Short bed with 4BT Intercooled Cummins Diesel and a 4L80e "The Junkyard Dog"
1985 Crew Cab Chevy dually with 5.9 Cummins "The Big Dog" This is what my dad liked to be called by the grandkids before he passed so it seems fitting for his old truck.
1774btcrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 03:26 AM   #3
lilpoindexter

Pick your part bought all the junkyards. There is a junk yard off US 395 in Adelanto where i found a super clean, straight, chrome front bumper for my '78.
Some dude at the riverside pick your part scored some minty door panels on a truck that had the doors locked...he somehow picked the lock and got in.
The Former Ecology Auto Parts in Santa Fe springs on Imperial hwy has a nice truck section
All of the squares are fairly thin on the ground now, and any you find are BEAT.
lilpoindexter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 12:37 PM   #4
slam59

Hey beer can there are two decent pick a part places up here in the High Desert just google them and come on up. One is in Hesperia and the other is in Victorville. They have a decent amount of squares. Poindexter they closed the one in Adelanto off the 395. I went there 6 months ago and it was all fenced up and all vehicles were combined with the yard in Victorville. Good luck on your searching beer can I'm sure u will find decent stuff between the two locations up here.

1977 3/4 ton Silverado 454

1999 2 door 2wd Tahoe
slam59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 08:23 PM   #5
Beer can

Quote:
Originally Posted by slam59 View Post
Hey beer can there are two decent pick a part places up here in the High Desert just google them and come on up. One is in Hesperia and the other is in Victorville. They have a decent amount of squares. Poindexter they closed the one in Adelanto off the 395. I went there 6 months ago and it was all fenced up and all vehicles were combined with the yard in Victorville. Good luck on your searching beer can I'm sure u will find decent stuff between the two locations up here.
That works out pretty good because those are the two I was planning to hit next! If I see anything good I will take pics and learn to post them . Also if anyone else knows of some kool ones please post them . How bout ones in AZ. I've heard about the Desert VAlley one and I know of a super old one near Sierra vista were I have family , anyone know of any others? I'm kinda a junk yard junkie I guess
Old 11-20-2016, 08:28 PM   #6
Gregski
Post Whore

What are you looking for? I am up in Nor Cal and have been on a Pick N Pull tour for the last 2 years ha ha. What I have learned is that no matter how many squares they have they will all have cracked dashes, torn up bench seats, missing tailgates, tacoed hoods, and rusted battery trays, rusted passenger side inner fenders and rusted core supports near the battery corner. I think I have seen 2 manual trans trucks all the rest being automatics, mostly long beds, and only 1 step side the rest fleet side.
Gregski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 08:46 PM   #7
Beer can

Ya most of the ones I do find are in similar shape but i have found an uncut dash that I got to repair were mine was hacked up,someday I'll get one of those stock style radios that you can hook amps up to. Lately I'm looking for the interior window mouldings so I can add a headliner, found a couple but they were either broken or for the second style dash . My 75 is a very base model so I'm always lookin for upgrades . Plus I just like to look around junkyards!