The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-24-2004, 11:33 AM   #1
Grim Reaper

Score!

FACTORY GM Stainless 454 headers....FREE!

Happy dance.

Air tubes are rusted out (ohhhh darn) guy with a motor home I know form another forum replaced them with a set of Hookers or something because he couldn't get the air tube out. Hell I got a drill, tapps and dies and the hardware store has pipe plugs.
My only cost to get them is shipping.

Wonder how much they are good for over my stock irons.
Grim Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2004, 12:20 PM   #2
MylilBowTie
Right turn Clyde

Ive only seen a set on an 85-87 3/4. It has factory headers with air tubes and factory dual exhausts. From what I remember they are like shorty headers.

Im sure the would help the engine to breath a little better. Can you post any pictures of them when you get them?
Old 03-24-2004, 12:45 PM   #3
Grim Reaper

Yeah that is what they basicly are is my understanding. They were used a lot on P30 chassis. These were on a mid 80's Airstream motor home.
They list for $400 I am told...That's EACH.
Old 03-24-2004, 06:37 PM   #4
Lester

If these are really the H5 emissions exhaust system manifold the bung for the air pump tubes is threaded at either 21 or 22mm and is a fine tubing thread for an inverted flare fitting, not a pipe thread.

There is no ready made 21 or 22mm inverted flare plug. If you decide to use these as they are you will need to buy 7/8's inverted flare fittings weld them shut then install them in the bungs. This will preserve their value in case you decide to sell them.

When these were made, 85-87 (maybe other years too), for the 1 ton for sure, the other emissions exhaust was the old cast iron H4 system.

Although the exhaust systems are true duals from GM I don't think the front pipe on either side will interchange between manifolds.

Mine work okay set up as described. Does not seem to be any difference between these and the cast manifolds you probably already have on your 454. IMO, certainly not worth the effort to swap from one to the other. The ss pipes on my c30 have been on there since 86 and work just fine. Can't tell you the number of mufflers that have been changed and the number of clamps that have rotted off though. Needs new mufflers and clamps now.

Good luck.
Lester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2004, 12:39 AM   #5
Grim Reaper

Lester:

Thanks for the info. These did come off a 86.

My factory manifolds are hurting. The PO 0f my truck had a pressure washer and used it on the engine regularly. Even though the truck is rust free on the body I have issues with corrosion on the engine sice all the grease was a washed away. All the flange bolt broke and we had issues replacing them. They are not right and will probably need replacement. I think these are going to be the ticket unless I can come up with the cash for some Banks headers unless I can talk them out of a set.