The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-23-2016, 08:28 PM   #1
mehoff400

78 c10 cross member

so i have a chance to get a full 78 c10 cross member for free. my current set up is still drum brakes and all that. the set i can get is 5 lug and i want to stick with 6 lug so i will have to buy rotors. i want to drop the front also so will need drop spinals. probably new tie rod ends and upper and lower ball joints. my question is. would i be saving money buy getting this new front end? either way i will rebuild the whole thing weather i stick with what i have or i use the new a arms and such. what advantages is there with me going with this new front end? i have read unless i have the engine out it is easier just to swap a arms over. i just am trying to figure out if its worth it or would it just cost me the same in the end.

My truck
mehoff400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 10:33 PM   #2
64shortbox

Re: 78 c10 cross member

Hard to say what would be best for you & your needs. I went ahead and bought a complete 73 Cross member so I could get everything and take my time degreasing, bead blasting, painting & rebuilding everything while still being able to drive my truck. For me though I planned on pulling my motor & trans so I could repaint the firewall, inner fender wells, fix 2 leaks on my trans, replace the front & rear seal on my motor and give it a Dupont overhaul. Be forewarned though I have close to $1,000.00 into my front suspension by the time I was done. I paid $250.00 for my cross member, and by the time I bought new Raybestos Professional Ball joints, Poly bushings, CPP 2 1/2" drop spindles, CPP 6 lug rotors, Moog standard height front springs (wish I bought 2" drop springs too) rebuilt calipers, rebuilt master, new Timken inner & outer wheel bearings, new spindle nut & caps, new front & rear flex brake hoses, the mandatory power steering box & brake booster from Captainfab - make sure you get Captainfab's pieces or you will regret it and you get his anyway. They're excellent pieces & come with template, mounting hardware & instructions. I also picked up a used 1 1/4" front sway bar & brackets from a 77 One Ton. Once I totaled up my receipts I was close to a grand and I did NOT get new tie rod ends, idler arm or center link. They were all good and very easily replaced if & when necessary.

Here's a link to check out: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=722406
64shortbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 12:29 AM   #3
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Re: 78 c10 cross member

Unless your engine is out, or you plan to take it out, and with what you are wanting as a end result, you would likely be better off simply buying aftermarket dropped spindles for a '63-'66, the 6 lug aftermarket rotors and the rest of the components. You do not have to change the control arms.

Personally I prefer the rubber control arm bushings, the larger lower control arm shaft u-bolts, and the fact that replacement parts will be available longer. Back in the '80's when I started swapping these, we just installed the entire suspension in a day as it came from the donor. It was done to get the disc brakes and to get the truck back on the road ASAP. The worn parts would be replaced when needed. We also did not need or want and dropped spindles or springs.

Although as 64shortbox said, he was able to take his time rebuilding the entire front suspension and then swap the new suspension under the truck with less downtime.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote