The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-21-2016, 12:14 PM   #1
vht

More interior stuff

I thought it'd be pretty cool to see some more info and pics on how some of you have updated your interior. With all the help I got on the dash pad, I figure some on here that are on a budget could benefit. Instrument cluster covers, recovering seats and so on. Head liners, I have to tackle that one myself. There is alot of good info on here and some really good people. Right now, budget is my middle name, and although I've done body work, built race cars and a little of everything, interior stuff I'm not great at.
vht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 01:41 PM   #2
TKCR

Re: More interior stuff

Well I don't want over load you thread with photos, so I'll just post the one of the completed interior. I changed my interior color from Maroon to Charcoal. I too, was on a Budget. Recovered my own headliner, dyed/painted all the interior moldings & dash and door panels.

Carpet is new, but they really aren't that expensive. When I still had the maroon color, I did use a professional steam extractor on the carpet and seat. It did wonders!!! The pic I posted of the BEFORE, when it was maroon, is the one where I was cleaning the carpet. You can actually see the line, where it brings the color back to life.

Bench-seat, originally had a 90's seat in the truck. So I did find a period correct seat and had it recovered. Since then, I have been recovering seats myself, for a side hobby.
Attached Images

TKCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 04:58 PM   #3
vht

Loading it with pics is fine. You done a great job. I'm like you, I like the original seats.
Old 11-21-2016, 05:19 PM   #4
TKCR

If anyone wants to see more photos, they can just click my build thread link at the bottom.
Adding the extra lighting (leds) under the dash and putting a new light with an led bulb up in headliner, made a big improvement in lighting on the inside of the cab.
Old 11-21-2016, 07:16 PM   #5
kdh454

I have yet to do much to the interior of my truck, but I did build install a nice radio and build some kick panels. Not certain that counts as "interior", but it sure makes driving more enjoyable.

There are also Dakota Digital VHX gauges in there, but I would not consider those necessary or a budget friendly item.

Looking to replace the front bench with factory low back buckets and console soon.
Attached Images

kdh454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 10:41 PM   #6
kelsfine69
18 Till I Die

Which LED bulbs did you buy? Ebay? Thanks
1987 Camaro Iroc 350 Tuned Port Injection
42000Km

1987 Chevrolet Silverado 350 TBI
1987 Chevrolet Silverado 350 TBI(yes 2)

Take me drunk, I'm too home...
kelsfine69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 02:55 AM   #7
TKCR

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelsfine69 View Post
Which LED bulbs did you buy? Ebay? Thanks
What I got was a courtesy light kit from LMC. Spliced it into the the existing wiring for the courtesy light that is there under the dash. Then replaced all 3 bulbs with LED's. Got those from Oriellys. I believe they were 1156

http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/cc/full.aspx?Page=191

Now for the Dome light. Got a new housing from LMC. And it takes a 578 LED
You can get one that has more diodes. I think mine has like 12, where the one pictured, has 8

http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/cc/full.aspx?Page=97
Attached Images

Old 11-24-2016, 02:53 AM   #8
gmachinz
Account Suspended

Just a quick pic of the 1990 Suburban bucket seats I installed in my 86 K10. I found a dusty set of seats/console in a local wrecking yard for $60 total. Using comet and dish soap with a pressure washer the seats turned out looking like new. The pickup floor accepts the console as if made for it-even with the dimples to drill out for mounting the console.

The buckets seats required a little work to look factory-I used a set of LH/RH factory pickup bench seat brackets for each bucket seat to maintain an easy bolt on to the truck floor. I ended up shortening the adjustment lever since the bench seat levers are about 3" longer than the bucket seat versions-this way it all looks factory.

I went the budget route while looking for OEM style seats because Indidnt want seats that looked too out of place or had that "aftermarket" catalog look. So once I found the right color Suburban buckets, I built my interior around them-even matching the door panel insert cloth from the suburban door panels to the pickup door panels-all of this is in support of keeping the interior looking dead stock while updating it at the same time.
Attached Images

gmachinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 12:59 PM   #9
TKCR

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmachinz View Post
Just a quick pic of the 1990 Suburban bucket seats I installed in my 86 K10. I found a dusty set of seats/console in a local wrecking yard for $60 total. Using comet and dish soap with a pressure washer the seats turned out looking like new. The pickup floor accepts the console as if made for it-even with the dimples to drill out for mounting the console.

The buckets seats required a little work to look factory-I used a set of LH/RH factory pickup bench seat brackets for each bucket seat to maintain an easy bolt on to the truck floor. I ended up shortening the adjustment lever since the bench seat levers are about 3" longer than the bucket seat versions-this way it all looks factory.

I went the budget route while looking for OEM style seats because Indidnt want seats that looked too out of place or had that "aftermarket" catalog look. So once I found the right color Suburban buckets, I built my interior around them-even matching the door panel insert cloth from the suburban door panels to the pickup door panels-all of this is in support of keeping the interior looking dead stock while updating it at the same time.
That turned out awesome!! The only thing I'm not a big fan of, is the black rubber mats. But if it's a daily driver, then it make sense. I like the floor mats that cover the whole floor and it matches the interior. That's just my opinion anyways
Old 11-24-2016, 01:10 PM   #10
gmachinz
Account Suspended

Yeah it's a DD...I have a huge pet leave about dirty carpet-especially if it's new lol. There are little things I prefer like the fold over map pockets, 1.5 DIN dash cluster bezels so I can install a GM theftlock CD player, etc. stuff like that.
Old 11-24-2016, 02:30 PM   #11
rich weyand

I have the Highliner headliner, in which I have replaced the ElCheapo(tm) speakers with Kicker DS400s.

I put leather buckets with a center jumpseat/console in place of the bench seat. The closest seat looks orange from the flash, the farther seat looks more correct. The color is a good match for the factory trim.

Also a powered subwoofer behind the jump seat.

I put a tach/fuel replacement for the fuel guage, and an extra fuel gauge for the other tank in the blank spot.

A stereo upgrade, for which I (gasp!) cut the dash.

And finally some 12V sockets for all the crap I have on the windshield. L to R: GPS, backup camera, forward-looking recording camera (dashcam).

1978 K10 RCSB DD.
rich weyand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 04:56 PM   #12
vht

Some good stuff, the blue buckets look factory, really come out nice. Speaking of radios, is there an outside antenna that will go on a 84 and look like it belongs?
Old 11-24-2016, 05:24 PM   #13
gmachinz
Account Suspended

I know at least 88-up Suburban's had RH fender mounted antennas....
Old 11-24-2016, 08:34 PM   #14
vht

Good to know, now I know what to buy. Don't like sticking a aftermarket on it.