The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-26-2016, 11:09 PM   #1
vht

Bed Cover?

The big problem I'll have with my 84 K10 is where to put stuff. Grocery shopping or general stuff you buy when out and need a place to put it and lock it up out of sight. What are some of you doing? I've been looking at bed covers of different types, I hate the one's that stick above the bed. Plus I'd like for it to come off half way easy. Don't want to spend a fortune, but the wife has done asked so it got me thinking. I just put in a big order for this truck, but you know what they say about a happy wife.
vht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 11:47 PM   #2
andrewmp6

Re: Bed Cover?

http://www.crafteccovers.com/CK_c_46.html or spend a lot with http://www.gaylordslids.com/ are about it on options.
andrewmp6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 12:43 AM   #3
TKCR

it doesn't lock but it does keep stuff out of sight.
Attached Images

TKCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 11:59 AM   #4
tucsonjwt

I had a soft vinyl top over metal bows, so the whole top would lift off like a clam shell from the back. You could also undo the velcro on the back and sides and roll the metal bows up in the vinyl and stow it at the front of the bed by the rear window of the truck. It was versatile, but it was kind of cumbersome. I prefer not to have a cover at all now.

Regular cab pickup trucks are not good grocery getters unless you are the only one in the truck - then you can put stuff on the floor and passenger seat. If you don't want things to roll around, you can get expanding vinyl containers which will hold the grocery bags and such upright and stay in place.

My pickup is my second vehicle, which I rarely drive. I take the car when grocery shopping and have a net at the rear of the trunk which holds things in place very well, although it has limited capacity.

Only a hard cover for the bed will really secure things. Of course, once you install one of those it is not going to come off very easily. Plus, they are very expensive.

If you have a soft cover you will have to protect is with something like 303 protectant, which is very pricey. Ultimately, a soft cover will degrade and need to be replaced, so it is really only a temporary accessory.
tucsonjwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 01:59 PM   #5
Tetanus Express

I agree. I just bought a 85 a couple of months ago and I have been looking for a flush mount fiberglass bed cover. I know that they used to exist but haven't come across anything yet. Was thinking of trying to make one but if I could buy one ready to bolt on and just add paint...well then you know that would probably be cheaper and easier. If anyone knows of anything I would be extremely interested in one. I have seen some soft bed covers on eBay but didn't know how they would look.
Tetanus Express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 03:08 PM   #6
S10Fan
Old Heap Driver

Soft Tonneau and a Trailer tongue box from Harbor Freight.............
Attached Images

'99 Silverado 1500, 4.3, 5-speed, reg cab, short bed
'50 Chevy 2DR Hard Top, 350/350, M2 Front End, 3:08 gear, cruiser.
'40 F**d Sedan, all Chevy power, Heidt's front end, TCI rear, nice driver.
S10Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 07:23 PM   #7
vht

I'll have a tool box in the front that sits in the bed for straps and such. I'm thinking about building something for the rear of the bed that I can lock and take out easy, then put a soft type cover over it. Found 1 on ebay, alum frame, all comes out easy, plus just the back part will open if you want. If somebody is going to steal something, they're going to get it. I just want protection from weather and not have something that sticks out like a sore thumb.
vht is offline   Reply With Quote