The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-29-2016, 11:33 PM   #1
PeterHall

Switches, Where to mount them?

Do any of you have clean examples of mounting switches in the cab? We need to add switches for the electric fan and exhaust cut outs. My dad wants to mount this massive switch bank right under the dash.

PeterHall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 12:17 AM   #2
Overdriven

Re: Switches, Where to mount them?

Plastic monstrosity! Google "toggle switch" and view images for ideas of switches that will better fit the aestetic of our trucks.

Personally I'd do something like this under the dash. Simple piece of brushed aluminum (bare or painted) with a 90 degree bend at the top to attach it and however long to accommodate the switches. If you want to get fancy cut the face long then bend it to form sides to hide the wires a little and maybe some indicator bulbs in between the switches. It fits the aesthetic better than plastic and could be half the height.

If you have to go more modern and plastic go with something smaller like these. Put them in a small black panel just big enough for the switches and mount under the dash.
Overdriven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 12:30 AM   #3
Overdriven

Forgive me, I'm going a little switch crazy at the moment. These are pretty cool. Illuminated push switches and then just plain push switches in cool little bezels.
The switches in the bezels are from a place called Watsons-streetworks.com, found in google image search for toggle switch.

Overdriven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 12:51 AM   #4
LongBox

I'm in agreement with Overdriven's first suggestion: retro toggle switches, you know, the kind the safety freaks took away from us back in the late 60s. I'd paint the metal mounting panel the same colour as the dashboard, or the glovebox, it if is a contrasting colour.

-69 GMC 910 Long Box, 350
-98 Chev Silverado 1500, 350 Vortec 4L60e
-08 Mustang GT Convertible
LongBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 04:52 AM   #5
cherokeejohn

I fabbed' this up for mine for all my extra stuff( ie. elect fuel pump, amplifier, driving lights, under bed-rail lights, blue LED strips inside, and outside under-body glow lights). I put an aux 6 term fuse block in ran power to it then to the toggles and to their components from there. its all completely reversible so no harm to the truck. i put a 10mm Led hooked into the out going power lines of each thing for on/off indication. I actually made this whole set up several years ago for one of old Blazers and have just put it in all my vehicles as I go. I found this on E bay a year or so ago and ordered it. It's currently installed in my wife's blazer for all the extra goodies I've put on it. So far, It's held up. the toggles are lighted, but they are also plastic. the ones i used on mine are metal and i only ran one ground to the metal mounting plate, on the new bought one, each switch has its own ground. Hope this helps. I have also been looking at those metal push button/lighted ones you have posted, but haven't bought them yet since all of mine are still holding up. Maybe on my next K20 project. The first pic is the one I made, 2nd and 3rd are of the aux fuse block, 4th is the one I bought from E bay. If you need the link to any of them, just let me know
Attached Images

cherokeejohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 07:31 AM   #6
mcmlxix
Collector of Projects

Hidden in the console would be ideal, but you didn't post a pic of your interior.
I modified my dash (sacrilege to some) for a custom sound system and a bank or switches.

other options are out there

http://bluewireautomotive.com/produc...e-green-on-off

http://www.x2industries.com/switch-c...r-p-11046.html

here's another option...

http://a.co/h47VUfJ

D60 BIG BRAKE UPGRADE Click HERE
mcmlxix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 07:39 AM   #7
In The Ten Ring

I am thinking about some retro-toggle switches to run the extra lights, cameras, and laser sights (don't ask) I want to put on my truck. I'm thinking about making a mount that I can bolt under the center dash below the ignition area. The first pic Overdriven posted is rather what I have in mind.
In The Ten Ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 07:58 AM   #8
Deer_hunter_088

In derby cars we take diamond plate and bend it at a 90 degre at the top then bolt it to the cage and drill jols in a row then mount switches to run stuff like the fuel pump, fans and ignition.

Made in the USA, just like my trucks
Deer_hunter_088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 08:20 AM   #9
Grumpy old man

Anything mounted to the bottom of the dash looks hokey at best . Use micro switches mounted in the face of the ashtray . Which is easily replaced and accessed . You'll end up with a clean look and if you buy decent looking switches it will add to the dash. Besides you need to consider what all that sharp metal hanging off the bottom of the Dash is going to do to your legs in the event of a crash !

Always consider the "What if " consecueneces of what your doing before you do it !

Any brackets or wires hanging down from your dash just looks like a HOT MESS ! Don't do it .

Delcity.net for all your electrical needs

Last edited by Grumpy old man; 11-30-2016 at 08:32 AM.
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 08:25 AM   #10
MoFormula

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overdriven View Post
Forgive me, I'm going a little switch crazy at the moment. These are pretty cool. Illuminated push switches and then just plain push switches in cool little bezels.
The switches in the bezels are from a place called Watsons-streetworks.com, found in google image search for toggle switch.

I used something very similar to the above for my horn button. They fit perfectly in the factory holes in the dash.
Attached Images

MoFormula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 10:44 AM   #11
Myoldtruck

Hit the junkyard and look at the old large trucks, or fire engines. We have that stuff at our yards. I was just in the cab of a late 60s ford cab over truck and it had about 6 of those push pull chrome knob switches with black identify wording rings ( they read: heater, vent, ect). I wasnt there for them, I picked the high/low rear switch off of the shifter, Im going to use that for a reverse camera switch for my trailer.
Myoldtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 04:11 PM   #12
PeterHall

Here's some pictures of our dash. Just simple and stockish. We may put the box out of line of sight under the dash. But I still want to put it under the bench seat.

PeterHall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 04:27 PM   #13
Custom/20

I mounted some lights under the bumper and mounted the switch right in the steering column cover bracket.
Attached Images

Custom/20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 05:14 PM   #14
toolboxchev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Custom/20 View Post
I mounted some lights under the bumper and mounted the switch right in the steering column cover bracket.
Liking the look in the first pic, now where to get some of that stuff!
toolboxchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 06:25 AM   #15
mcmlxix
Collector of Projects

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterHall View Post
Here's some pictures of our dash. Just simple and stockish. We may put the box out of line of sight under the dash. But I still want to put it under the bench seat.
I was looking through you build. I think the bench seat idea is best. black switches in a black box at the edge of the black seat. out of sight but still in reach... easy to change/update as needed.

You could also get/build a small center console in front of the seat.... cup holders and switches....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/67-72-Chevy-...-/141377976079

D60 BIG BRAKE UPGRADE Click HERE
mcmlxix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 12:10 PM   #16
cherokeejohn

the pic in the post above is what my intentions are for my truck. my switch panel is just the start of it. I like the design of the one in the pic above. Its keeps the center seat still usable by keeping it lower to the floorboard
cherokeejohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 07:03 PM   #17
Jrainman

here is where I put my heated seat switches
Attached Images

Jrainman is offline   Reply With Quote