The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-05-2016, 03:55 AM   #1
Dustmaker65

4.8/4L60e purchase

Just picked up a 4.8/60e. I was able to drive truck before pulling. Transmission seemed to shift fine. Motor smoked a little when getting up to speed. This setup has 350k on them!

I am thinking that heads need rebuilt and bottom end needs to be re-ringed at least. New oil pump, gasket set, timing chain, and ARP bolt kit.... Anything else you guys would do?

Thanks!
Old 12-05-2016, 11:52 AM   #2
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Re: 4.8/4L60e purchase

Hard to know until you get the block apart. If you can just ball hone it a bit you can get away with a re ring. If the cylinders have any scoring on wall, its best to get it into a machine shop and see if a hone will sort it out, or if a small over bore is needed.

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 12:08 PM   #3
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

If you're that far into it... why not have the rods and crank checked and install new bearings. Peace of mind...

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 04:49 AM   #4
Dustmaker65

Quote:
Originally Posted by BR3W CITY View Post
Hard to know until you get the block apart. If you can just ball hone it a bit you can get away with a re ring. If the cylinders have any scoring on wall, its best to get it into a machine shop and see if a hone will sort it out, or if a small over bore is needed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GASoline71 View Post
If you're that far into it... why not have the rods and crank checked and install new bearings. Peace of mind...

Gary
Hopefully I get a chance to pull it apart this weekend.

Where is everyone ordering rebuild parts for LS motors from...Summit, GM????

Will defiantly be putting new bearings in it
Old 12-07-2016, 01:03 AM   #5
68c10airstream

When i had trouble with my 2001 5.3 from the junkyard, i needed to bore the block because of rust pits. I happen to check on ebay and someone was selling gm's extra stock and i bought a new gm 4.8/5.3 block with cam bearings already installed for $199.00 plus shipping in 2014. In my hands was $324.00, stock perfect bores ready to go. I believe jegs or summit picked these up and this summer they had them for $3??.?? and free shipping, what a deal.
68c10airstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 01:43 AM   #6
Dustmaker65

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68c10airstream View Post
When i had trouble with my 2001 5.3 from the junkyard, i needed to bore the block because of rust pits. I happen to check on ebay and someone was selling gm's extra stock and i bought a new gm 4.8/5.3 block with cam bearings already installed for $199.00 plus shipping in 2014. In my hands was $324.00, stock perfect bores ready to go. I believe jegs or summit picked these up and this summer they had them for $3??.?? and free shipping, what a deal.
I did see Summit had bare blocks for $299 shipped. I am hoping that my block is going to be fine. There should not be any rust, as I drove the truck before getting the engine/trans. I was just thinking that with 350,000 miles on them, I should freshen it up a little. I am not putting a big cam in this, as it will be a daily driver