The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-25-2004, 06:06 PM   #1
sam's 72

Has any body heard or seen any thing like this? Headers

I ordered a set of Hedman hedders from P.A.W. Full lenght, for 72 chevy 2 wheel drive, SBC, coated. I got them at the house. I did not take a picture of them, ( should have ) I am going to try and explain what was wrong with them.
Down at the collector, you have a slip flange, ( 3 bolts ) suppost to slip all the way down to the shoulder on the collector, this is what keeps it from comming off. Well, this set of headers they sent to me was not made like this.
What they had was the slip flange ( 3 bolts ) it was 4 1/2 inches from the end of the collector, the very end of collector was a raw end, no lip on it at all, right in front of the slip flang, the collector was flared out, so that the slip flang would not go to the end of collector, like I said it was 4 1/2 inches from the end. Then the collector kit that came with them was made to where the end that goes to the header collector was about a 1/2 inch bigger then the collector, then swedged down to 2 1/2 inch, the end that went towards hedder was raw, no lip or shoulder, and it was made the same way, the slip flange would not go all the way to the end due to it was flared out also to keep the slip flang from comming to the end. In order to bolt these up you would of had to use a 10 inch bolt, or weld them. I sent them back, after talking to them three times about this set of headers, and they called me dening a full refund, they told me they would refund the money for the headers, but would not give me the money for my shipping cost, which was $ 30.00 . Said there was nothing wrong with these headers. Have you guys ever seen headers that came like these? The only way to hook exhaust up is to weld, now keep in mind these are coated headers.
Old 03-25-2004, 06:16 PM   #2
67chevemall

10 inch bolt!Holy sugar!

Do you know the link for the web site? Maybe there is a pic there!

Maybe they were for a F@@d!!LOL

67chevemall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2004, 06:19 PM   #3
sam's 72

No, I can't find a picture at all of these. I wish I would have taken a picture of these to show to you guys. The reason they are not refunding me in full is because they said these are the headers that fit mt truck, and that they dont refund due to me not wanting them.
Old 03-25-2004, 06:22 PM   #4
GSFMECH
On the road

Man that's wild, they always figure a way to screw things up by making them cheaper or easier for them to build. I bought a set of Cyclone headers one time that had no flange. They necked down to 2 1/2" kinda like you were saying so you could weld an exhaust pipe directly to them, they totaly sucked. I wound up having to eat them, they wouldn't take em back.
GSFMECH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2004, 06:22 PM   #5
mocwon
Keep On Truckin'

That's a new one on me; never heard of such an animal.
Old 03-25-2004, 06:38 PM   #6
sam's 72

I know one thing for sure, it pissed me off bigtime, then when the guy called me telling me that they were deniing me shipping charges and told me why, I went to explain to him how these headers were built, and that the only way to hook up exhaust was to weld the pipe to the hedder, he said well, I dont install them, all I do is sell them, when he said this, I really got POed. That just goes to show you. I can tell you this, I will never ever buy a damnthing from them again, not even a flat washer!
Old 03-26-2004, 10:33 AM   #7
67chevemall

That is usally good for a nice brick through the front window!
Thats what makes it all better for me anyhoot!
Mr Tran HaHa!

67chevemall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2004, 03:27 PM   #8
Rdrdave
Broke and still trying

headers vs. glass Hmm who wins?

That just seemed like alot of BS from them! Maybe because so many people hate the paper gaskets they thought you would "cut to fit" the headers? My guess.

The hell with not giving me my money back.
"You're closed! Hmm Here's your headers back don't worry about the money! Smash!!!!"

That would make me a very person!
Rdrdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2004, 03:50 PM   #9
jamis
F.A.S.T. president

whats the part number? Did you contact headman instead of PAW?
jamis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2004, 04:53 PM   #10
KSSeverance

I have a set on Hedman Elite Hedders on my 454. They have the type of flange it sounds like you described. They are set up to be hooked up without any gasket. All it takes is a flared pipe end with a 3-bolt flange to seal them up. They work great and there's one less gasket to leak. They do take a little longer bolt, though. Check out the pic and see if any of this looks familiar.
Attached Images

KSSeverance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2004, 05:24 PM   #11
sam's 72

No, they did not look like that at all. I would have kept them if they were like that. I ordered a set of Hooker super comps, coated, from Jegs. They should be in this comming week. I am getting close to sitting the 383 in place also.