The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-26-2004, 11:24 PM   #1
angelsairman
Future Owner

Does this sound like a rip off or am i just cheap??

Had my driveshaft cut on my 71 C10 2 piece driveshaft and of course me measurements were off by an inch to long. Cost me $147.00 with cutting balancing assembly and all new UJoints and paint. I fugured not to bad. So i call them and tell them im going to need more cut out of it, they say well its going to be full price. I figured this was only fair as they do have there policy marked well about custom stuff. So find a friend(farmer) whos welded a bunch of driveshafts over the years who says he can do it but he cant balance it. Well i call the machine shop back that i orignally did business with to see how much it is to just balance that shaft and them tell me $111.00!!! Now on the invoice it only cost me $102 for the cutting balance and paint and i tell the guy that and he tells me oh well!!! Worst part is its the only place ive found within 100 miles that balances driveshafts......
Old 03-26-2004, 11:37 PM   #2
cdowns

well a couple of things come to mind first is the old BOB VILLA thing "measure twice cut once" the next is that rather then having them do the job you looked for a shortcut and you're asking them to get involved with somebody elses handiwork and they're inflating the price to cover themselves if there's additional work involved to balance the farmers attemt at being a driveshaft builder
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2004, 11:48 PM   #3
jmanz69
Careful, they attack...

I agree, they are trying to cover themselves for a job they don't really want to get involved in. If you have them do it all it's one price, but if you bring them your own stuff, it's another one. They don't know this farmer from a hole in the ground. He could really screw it up for all they know. That means more time to fix his mess. I used to do the same type thing when I worked car stereo. If you buy my equipment and have me install it then it will be this price. However if you buy someone elses equipment, attempt to install it yourself halfway, then bring it to me to finish, I'm going to jack up the price. Partly because I don't really want to be involved with it, and partly to cover me if I do it.

I would let them do it all again, that way if it doesn't work later, you can go back on them. If it fails later after the farmers welding job, they are going to blame him and not warranty your balance job. After all, it was your fault that it's still too long. $147 is a rather cheap lesson.
jmanz69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2004, 11:53 PM   #4
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

Auto mechanic on Duty

Rate Hourly $35.00
if you watch $45.00
if you help $65.00
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2004, 11:54 PM   #5
Wootdog

Sounds too expensive to me.

I had them shorten mine and they messed it up. Only ended up using one yoke and nothing else. They used a new shaft cause they told me that yes they had messed it up. Said it was easier to replace with a new shaft. I ended up paying less than 100.00 and they balanced it and everthing with ubolts and u joints. This is for a short wide. Kerry
Wootdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2004, 12:01 AM   #6
angelsairman
Future Owner

i can see where you guys are coming from...even though this doesnt change anything i should have been more specific about the friend whos doing the welding, he is a certified master welder and also Air Force certified. Also almost 15 years building stock cars in his youth. Otherwise i wouldnt trust his work. I just still dont really understand why they would charge so much for just the balancing as the balancing would be the only part they would be liable for and if the job was found to be substandard THEN charge me more to repair it. When i called them about the balancing i did not tell them that i was having someone else recut it or identify myself. Still just seems a bit high for balancing....as for the measuring i agree my fault didnt take into account one factor and now its an inch to long, luckly im not a carpenter....

Last edited by angelsairman; 03-27-2004 at 12:04 AM.
angelsairman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2004, 12:52 AM   #7
walker

Just cut the darn thing and weld it back up. If you take your time make sure it is dead nuts true it will be fine. Auto makers did not start to balance driveshafts till the 70's anyhow. Chances are the stock shaft was not balanced. So, grind the welds of to remove the yoke, use a single wheel pipe cutter to trim it to length, reinstall the yoke, put the shaft on stands, level it up using a level along the shaft and across the u-joint holes on the good side, now level up the unwelded yoke, tack weld it, recheck everything, weld it for keeps. Then take 'er out for a spin.
'48 Ford 8N tractor(still working)
'67 Scout(Now on the road)
'70 MG B.-sold
walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2004, 01:21 AM   #8
67sss

driveline

now that you have the measurement, go to the wrecking yard with a tape measure and find one that length. One of my drivelines came from a dodge van, cost me $35.
67sss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2004, 01:39 AM   #9
JOE BOB

If I am reading your post correctly, the difference is $9.00. If that is the case, then I do not think you are being ripped off. However, I agree with Walker, I am not sure you need to spend another $111.00. And personally, I would not care about the amount or the distance, if the shop acted disrespectful to me; they would not get another dime of my money.
JOE BOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2004, 05:01 AM   #10
Mudder

We laid one of mine in a 3 inch piece of angle iron one time and welded it. It turned out great. It was for a short fleet side.
Mudder is offline   Reply With Quote