The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-25-2004, 07:37 AM   #1
southernmutt33

Question got a quick question for ya'll

ok i got a 84 3/4 gmc with a 454, granny 4 spd....ok i just got the truck about 6 months ago...i noticed that the a/c was unplugged under the hood....the other day i figured i would plug it in to see if it worked....ok it works, but the a/c compressor ,akes the gawd afulest screaching noise you have ever heard. ok i dont know anything about a/c other than they work or dont work....so bear with me if i dont know all the correct part names.....ok can you just replace the pully assembly or does it have a clutch like a fan..or do you have to replace the whole thing....is there a way to oil it or add a lubricant to it....once you start driving it it does quite down an somtimes doesnt do it at all.....but it always comes back...so i dont know if it is doing it just because it hasnt been used in a long time or what.....it does blow cold air, not as cold as my 98 taurus, but is quite cool...may need to be recharged....

if ya cant afford to buy it, then be hillbilly enough to build it, it's cheaper to build it anyway.....

be a man, stand up to your women an tell them your the boss, an if she dont like that, then ask her if she needs help around the house...

http://public.fotki.com/southernmutt33/

84 GMC 454, 3/4 soon to be a dually with one ton suspension.
60 1/2, lwb stepside..for sale
98 taurus, ugliest body stlye ford ever built, but dependable family car.
73 vistaliner, cab over, newest toy, reason for turnin 3/4 into 1 ton
southernmutt33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2004, 11:26 AM   #2
Slonaker
Insert Witty Text Here

The clutch on my A/C was bent, and would slip as a result. It made a horrible screeching noise, and burned the paint off the clutch. That could be your problem, but it is hard to say without seeing it.

BTW, when I replaced my clutch, it was almost the same price if it had an A/C compressor attached to it. I bought it with the compressor, and the compressor went on a shelf in the garage. I need to change out the compressor now, so I'm glad I bought both.

Slonaker
Old 03-25-2004, 01:46 PM   #3
rolson1039

pep bopys or auto zone sell the clutches seperately and if i remember correctly on my old caravan it was like $50 the compressors are alot more with the new clutch it is possible something in the compresor is bad causeing the clutch to go thats what eentually happened to my caravan.. to change the clutch ya ned a gear puller if memory serves me correct but its a half hour job and quite easy
Old 03-26-2004, 02:08 AM   #4
southernmutt33

hey thanks for the info guys....appreciate it.............

if ya cant afford to buy it, then be hillbilly enough to build it, it's cheaper to build it anyway.....

be a man, stand up to your women an tell them your the boss, an if she dont like that, then ask her if she needs help around the house...

Old 03-27-2004, 12:01 AM   #5
85Silverado

I'm not sure...but doesn't the coolant (freon whatever) also act as a lubricant in there? That's assuming that what was disconnected would leak out all the freon.

'78 C20 Scottsdale
350ci
3 speed with granny gear
14 bolt rearend

My trucks are "Car-Guy safe".......which pretty much means death trap in the hands of a normal civilian.
85Silverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2004, 02:10 AM   #6
southernmutt33

i meant the wires to the a/c were disconnected

Old 03-27-2004, 12:02 PM   #7
1FaastC10
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally posted by 85Silverado
I'm not sure...but doesn't the coolant (freon whatever) also act as a lubricant in there? That's assuming that what was disconnected would leak out all the freon.
the refrigerant also carries a lubricant, you are correct. however, if the system had been opened, just as you suspected, the refrigerant would all have leaked out. if that was what happened, he would not have had working ac at all.

i'd replace both the clutch and the compressor if it were my truck. alot of times, when one thing goes, whatever is connected to it isnt far behind.
1FaastC10 is offline   Reply With Quote