The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-23-2016, 05:51 PM   #26
JimGreg72

Re: Dash is cut need advice

Jocko,
I couldn't agree more with you about not cutting up your Dash. As I said initially, I was young and stupid when I did mine. I wish now that I had not. To all who currently have an unmolested dash and are thinking about doing this… Don’t!
“You’ll regret it! Maybe not today…. Maybe not tomorrow…. But soon, and for the rest of your life!”
JimGreg72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 06:28 PM   #27
dmjlambert

I didn't even realize the thread was an old resurrected one until too late, I should not have asked my question to tag-along. I too have a cut dash that I will eventually restore. I suppose the only way to get it back to normal is to buy one of those patch panels and have somebody with welding/body work skills just fix it. In my case the previous owner hacked the dash just a little to fit a AM/FM/8-track, a later model Chevy factory unit.
dmjlambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 11:10 PM   #28
JimGreg72

My apologies Dmjlambert,
I’m the one how dragged up this old thread. I probably should have started a new one. I was searching through old post with the Key word radio, Looking for solutions to my cut dash problem, and to see what others have done. There were any number of threads I could have coat tailed on. It’s just by chance that I jumped on this one.
Old 12-24-2016, 10:27 PM   #29
JimGreg72

Hey guys, just a quick update. The faceplate I ordered from LMC came in today. It’s not exactly what I was hoping for. First off, the hole in the middle is specifically designed for the Retro-Sound radio. It’s only 1-1/2” x 3-1/2”. Obviously too small for the original radio to fit in, but that’s OK, I think I’m going to order the Retro-Sound radio anyway. Secondly, it is made of plastic and the entire faceplate has a chrome finish. On the LMC website the picture showed a black faceplate with Chrome trim around the hole the radio fits through.
The good news is the faceplate is 8” x 2-1/2”. That should be plenty big enough to cover up most hack jobs. The kit also came with a nice set of knobs. These are made of metal and have a nice heavy feel to them. I think this is going to work. I just need to figure out a way to support the front of the radio.
Here are some pix:
Attached Images

Old 12-25-2016, 10:53 AM   #30
HO455
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy4639 View Post
I just finished installing this in a 56 Chevy Bel Air and a 64 SS Impala. Very nice radio. Put the single din in it and forget it. The cutting of the dash is BS I have never seen a truck are car for sell that didn't because the dash was cut. Its just BS. Put the really good tunes in and enjoy your ride.

I have to respectfully disagree. Last year when I was looking for a Suburban I was on the fence twice as to buy or pass and the cut dash was the tipping point against them as it was one more thing to fix. However in the end I did buy one with a cut dash as the rest of the truck was in such good shape. I have pulled the din unit out and tossed it. I will make some sort of plate to cover the hole until I find a stock radio to fill the hole. To me its like putting Dolly Parton hair on the Mona Lisa.
If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 03:22 PM   #31
nlped

I was going to fix the dash in my old 70 Gmc. I bought a complete, uncut a/c dash (I was going to add a/c too ). But I sold the truck and still have a dash. It may become wall art. Lmao.

1968 Chevy SWB Fleet... Walt

1963-1/2 Ford Falcon Futura...Martha
nlped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 03:26 PM   #32
1968aj

I have same problem. I have owned many of these trucks but this is the first one with a cut dash. its no big deal to me I just need to find a radio that will fit this hole . don't really care what kind as long as it will fill the hole and doesn't cost too much
Attached Images

1968aj is offline   Reply With Quote