The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-27-2004, 06:33 PM   #1
skokie

Need Help with brake booster install

Ok I ready yo go all I need to know now is how to do it? Can someone give me a step by step?

Thanks
skokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2004, 06:50 PM   #2
skokie

Also I think I may be missing a throw rod. Can someone post up a pic of one?

Thanks

68 build thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=223234
skokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2004, 07:57 PM   #3
SWEET7T
Try spinnin 4 rear tars

Sorry I don't have any pics available but.....

Pull off your master cylinder, you don't have to disconnect it, just unbolt it and pull it forward.
then take the two nuts off of of the top 2 bolts that were above the master cylinder.
You will also need to take out the bolt on your steering column on the firewall, there is 3 holes on one side of the bracket, and 2 holes on the other. The 3 go toward the driver side. WHen you hold it up, you will see what I'm talking about.
Get inside the truck and remove the bracket that has 4 bolts. It is right under the steering column (as if you were going to take it out).
Take out the pushrod for your master cylinder.
Bolt on the booster bracket, then the booster. Take your new pushrod and stick through the firewall and bolt to your brake pedal, then to the booster linkage. My pedal doesn't return as far as it did when I had manual brakes, but you don't have to worry about that. Plus you can adjust the pushrod to your liking of where you want the pedal. I shortened mine some to make the pedal lower, but not too low as to hit the floor.
After you get all that hooked up, then bolt on your master cylinder. Make sure that the pushrod inside the booster, isn't too long and actuates the brakes. Mine was too long (just pull it out of the booster, the rod is threaded)
I was lucky enough to have my brake lines reach and didn't have to modify them any (I just loosened the little bracket on the frame that the lines run through, then pulled on it really hard).
Then hook up your vacuum line. I didn't have a big port on my carb (Roch 2bbl) so I tapped in on the manifold where the vacuum line goes to my tranny.
That is pretty much it, nothing special that I needed to buy or do. I just pulled everything off of the donor truck and that was all I needed.

Good luck with your install, any special questions that you have, you can PM me and I will get back to you ASAP I kinda live on this board