The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-31-2016, 01:54 PM   #1
Yaboyolin

New Member with a '70 CST and a few body questions

Hi all! I've been lurking on this site for a few days now but and figured I should introduce myself.

I just started a tear down of a 1970 Chevy CST/10 with a 350 sbc and 400 trans. It's originally from Virginia, where my uncle purchased it. It sat in fields being "restored" by my uncles friends for years. In reality they were just robbing the good parts off the truck before my uncle finally went and got it and gave it to my little brother. He had big plans for it but was then given a 1986 GMC and he fell out of love with the truck, and in love with square bodies. So it sat for a few more years. Fast forward to now, I moved back to Texas from Vermont to be with my mom as she battles cancer and I attend college, and I decided I'd take the truck project over. It supposedly ran 6 years ago, and we know it has a rebuilt engine, my uncle thinks it was bored out and whatnot.

As you can see in the pictures, it's fairly stripped. I took the bed off to asses some rust issues with it. My overall goal is to get it running strong and cheaply fix the rest of the issues. It's going to be ugly, but that's ok with me, I've never had anything that was newer than 16 years old to me. I've always been an MGB guy, I've had three in the past 5 years, learning to tear them apart at age 13. Old 70s jap bikes have also been the center of my attention for the past few years, so having something with more than for cylinders is going to be a transition for me.

I do have a question to start with, and that's just how structural are the rockers on this truck? Dealing with MGBs my entire life, the rockers were an integral part of the unibody construction, but considering this is a frame on truck, I wasn't sure if they were really all that important? The reason I ask is because mine need to be repaired. They aren't completely rotted away, but there are some holes. Like I said, this is going to be an ugly truck. To patch the few hole in the floorboards I'm going to be using license plates pop riveted on. I'll obviously treat all the metal first. But I was thinking that it would look cool to do this with the rockers as well. I can weld, and I do have to repair the cab supports, so if the rockers are super important I can fix those correctly as well. But I was just curious.

Sorry for the long post. I do appreciate any feedback now and in the future!
Attached Images

Old 12-31-2016, 02:10 PM   #2
70cst

Re: New Member with a '70 CST and a few body questions

Hey Yaboyolin ...

to the forums and from Ohio ...

Your truck looks solid and well worth fixing.

I will let other who have body experience chime in.

By the way ... 70cst's rock

67-72 Chevy and GMC Trucks...The Classic Truck for the Classic Folk.

1970 CST Two tone green, 402BB, 400 Automatic, Tach, Buckets, AC, AM-FM, Tilt, GM CB, GM 8 Tract, LWB, etc

JOHN 17:3...The better side of "LIFE"

Remember: Everyday is a good day...Some are just gooder!
70cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 07:35 PM   #3
wshattuck

welcome...

good luck, as you are aware this forum is invaluable!!

will
Old 12-31-2016, 08:58 PM   #4
LongBox

Glad you are planning on bringing this nice old truck back to the land of the living. I'd like to encourage you to fix it properly, I really believe that it is the only way to go, and will pay off in the future. Floor patch panels are not really expensive, and the fix, done right, pays off in the long run, particularly if you end up selling the truck. The rockers are not structurally important, as you already noted, it's a body on frame architecture. Therefore, you can take your time, and wait until you have the funds and the time to do the repair correctly.

Having said all that, I have to say that it is YOUR truck, and YOUR money, so feel free to ignore what I just said!

-69 GMC 910 Long Box, 350
-98 Chev Silverado 1500, 350 Vortec 4L60e
-08 Mustang GT Convertible
LongBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 10:27 PM   #5
70cst

ttt

67-72 Chevy and GMC Trucks...The Classic Truck for the Classic Folk.

1970 CST Two tone green, 402BB, 400 Automatic, Tach, Buckets, AC, AM-FM, Tilt, GM CB, GM 8 Tract, LWB, etc

JOHN 17:3...The better side of "LIFE"

Remember: Everyday is a good day...Some are just gooder!
70cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 10:48 PM   #6
hdff

Welcome To the forum. Good looking bones to start with. Is that a gold top? Do you have pic of the SPID?

Don't argue with idiots, People watching may not be able to tell the difference...
There's someone in my head........But it's not me......

cheap tricks thread great info here!! http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=489394
hdff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 09:32 PM   #7
Yaboyolin

A picture of the SPID won't upload, but it's extremely hard to read so I'll add all the options as best I can read them. Some of the numbers and wording are gonna be off because like I said, I can't read really read it.

D64 ?/CMirror
G50 Add Rear Spring
lS9 350 Engine
N40 Power Steering
U63 Radio Push Button
Z84 Custom Sport Truck
600 Black Trim
B25 Body Sude Molding
F59 Front Stabilizer
J70 Brake Booster
M35 3 Spd Auto Trans
??? Wheel Covers
??? Chrome Bumbers
??? White and hug org and white

Yes, at some point someone painted the top and bottom gold, they did a decent job, but there is some white poking through around the windows and trip. Not a big deal for me as I don't really care about how it looks. The odometer says it only has 2540 miles, but considering the shape of the truck I think it's closer to 1,002,540