The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-01-2017, 10:54 PM   #1
Bargy1

Cab Installation

Just got my 1965 C10 back from painthe and need to install the cab back on the frame. There is plenty of play with oversized holes in cab mount brackets. Does anyone have any tips on how to make sure the cab in sitting square on the frame? I sure I need to measure from some point on the cab to the frame on both sides but I am not sure what the best reference points would be.
Bargy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 11:32 PM   #2
reed62

Re: Cab Installation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bargy1 View Post
Just got my 1965 C10 back from painthe and need to install the cab back on the frame. There is plenty of play with oversized holes in cab mount brackets. Does anyone have any tips on how to make sure the cab in sitting square on the frame? I sure I need to measure from some point on the cab to the frame on both sides but I am not sure what the best reference points would be.
I'm sure someone will chime in but I would set the cab where the mounts are and then measure from the rear edge of the frame near the rear bumper and make sure each side is the same distance. This is assuming that your frame is straight and true.
reed62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 02:09 AM   #3
andyh1956

Every cab I have ever installed needed to move around some when the front cap was assembled to it. You may consider leaving the cab bolts just finger tight / snug until you get around to building the front cap up.
andyh1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 03:17 AM   #4
padresag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bargy1 View Post
have the holes rusted to a larger diameter. then you should out the section that is affected and weld in new pieces and put the holes back to what they should be

ron
padresag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 09:55 AM   #5
Vinceg

^^^^^^
Andyh1956 hit the nail on the head. Install the front clip and adjust cab as needed. It will surprise you how much a little movement on the cab can effect inner and outter fender alignment. It will also help to square the cab to the frame. I honestly don't know how many times I've bolted and unbolted the front clip and doors as I've replaced metal on the cab. That said there may also be some adjustment required when box is mounted so the gap between the cab and box is the same. Take your time, measure and install and uninstall as required. If something doesn't look or fit right try to think about all the parts involved not just the part your looking at. Good luck.
Vinceg is offline   Reply With Quote