The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-28-2004, 12:38 PM   #1
Mountain Man

Does anyone know a good internet site to teach me how to time an HEI equipped engine

I do not know how to set proper timing on my new project truck. I have never used a timing light before, but I need to make sure that timing is set properly on this one.

I would appreciate it if someone had a link to an internet sight that showed how to set timing on a 350 with HEI. I am very good mechanically, and I just need someone to show me, or tell me how to use a timing light and the procedure, and I will be able to do it.

The owner did put on the timing tape on the balancer.
A/C dash
Factory tilt
350 / 350 power train - with Edelbrock components.
Mountain Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2004, 01:22 PM   #2
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

If the engine is stock, set teh timeing to stock specs. The HEI doesn't effect teh point at which the engine wants the spark.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2004, 02:25 PM   #3
67Fleetsidedream
Wiseass secured himself a BAN

It is fairly easy. Get the timing light, put the red clamp on the positive side of the battery, get the black clamp and put it on the negative side of the battery. Grab the black plastic clamp and put it on spark plug wire #1. Grab a I think it is a 1/2 or 9/16 wrench. Loosen the clamp the keeps the disty from turning. You just want the clamp to be tight enough to keep the disty from turning. Pull the Vacuum advance hose off and plug it with something. Start the engine. Turn the idle screw on the carb so the engine is idling to 2500 rpm. Grab the timing light and pull the trigger. It should be flashing like a strobe light. If it is not, check your red and black clamp to see the they have a good connection. If it is position the flashing light on the harmonic balancer. You should see the marking plate on the timing chain cover. It should be right above the harmonic balancer. You will see V notches with lines and number or just lines. You will also notice that one of the V notches is bigger that the rest. This bigger notch is Top Dead Center for #1 piston. With each flash you should see a line lining up or close to one of the V notches. To move the line, turn the distributor very slowly. A little bit of turn goes a long way. I run my engine 6 degrees advanced. Each mark is 2 degrees. So on my engine the mark is on the 3rd line to the right. You may have to adjust it to what your engine perform best at. Once you have it set to where you want it. Turn off the engine, tighten the clamp that keeps the disty from turning, plug the vacuum advance hose back on, pull the timing light clamps off, shut the hood and give the truck a test run. You may have to play with the timing several times before the engine runs at its best.
67Fleetsidedream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2004, 03:47 PM   #4
super72bb

Hey mountianman

I would be happy to help you if you need it I live in the southwest part of the city. Let us know how you make out there.

Curt

My build thread:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post7120181
super72bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2004, 04:04 PM   #5
Mountain Man

Thanks for the reply guys. 72BB, I might take you up on that when I get this new project home, if I run into issues. I have to install a new intake, carb, HEI and fuel pump first. I live in the S.E.

I am good with gears - trannies, and diffs, but have no engine electrical training. I work for a heavy duty component manufacturer in the U.S., and engines is not one of our items, there for alot of it is new to me. Thanks for the reply guys, much appreciated.
A/C dash
Factory tilt
350 / 350 power train - with Edelbrock components.
Mountain Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2004, 04:08 PM   #6
super72bb

Hey Mountain Man

Thats cool we might be able to help one another out I will be changing my gear set and adding a new posi I may need to phone for advice.

Let me know when you get the new truck home or if you need anything.

Curt

My build thread:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post7120181
super72bb is offline   Reply With Quote