The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-07-2016, 09:47 AM   #1
88Stanger

New door locks issue Auth new door seals

So, I installed new door seals and as others have mentioned, the does are really really hard to shut, so I went with the Dodge Dakota used set abd the dies are still a bit tight, but better. Here is where it is wierd, I shut the door, lock it, then I push the outside door button. The door will not open because it is locked, BUT it makes a strange sound abd now trying to unlock the door is almost impossible. Because the door has so much pressure pushing out on it, the pressure is transferred to the lock mechanism and I must push really really hard on the door to get it to unlock. If you do not push the door button, it will unlock. Anyone wise have this issue?
88Stanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 10:17 AM   #2
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Re: New door locks issue Auth new door seals

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88Stanger View Post
So, I installed new door seals and as others have mentioned, the does are really really hard to shut, so I went with the Dodge Dakota used set abd the dies are still a bit tight, but better. Here is where it is wierd, I shut the door, lock it, then I push the outside door button. The door will not open because it is locked, BUT it makes a strange sound abd now trying to unlock the door is almost impossible. Because the door has so much pressure pushing out on it, the pressure is transferred to the lock mechanism and I must push really really hard on the door to get it to unlock. If you do not push the door button, it will unlock. Anyone wise have this issue?
-
I'm not understanding why you push the outside door button when it is locked. Unlock it THEN push the outside door button....I'm guessing the latch is not engaged all the way when you lock it and when you push the button it releases the door to the safety latch position while it is still locked.

You can try moving the striker plate on the door jamb out a little bit. Be sure to mark around it with a fine marking pen first so you know how far you have moved it. I would try 1/16th or 3/32nds of an inch at a time. If that is the problem it shouldn't take much. Do not let it move up or down.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-

Last edited by LockDoc; 08-07-2016 at 10:22 AM.
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 11:20 PM   #3
88Stanger

Damn, its been a while since i last got to this question.
so what it is that i have the issue with is that after you lock the door and if someone does not pay attention that it is locked and they try to open the door. That is when the door lock makes a slight sound and the door partially moves a small bit, and then you try to unlock the door with the key and it is almost impossible until you push the door back to full closed position, which can be difficult.
I will try this move of the striker out as mentioned before. i have all new door lock and latch equipment so i am learning here.
Thanks for he suggestion lockDoc, sorry it took me some time to get back on here.
Old 01-06-2017, 11:26 PM   #4
Andy4639
Old member

Thumbs up Re: New door locks issue Auth new door seals

Yes the door seals will make the door very tight and with the new door stuff very very tight. So move the striker out a bit and keep a eye on it and when it starts loosing up set it back to where it is now.

When you push the door button in as stated always push in on the door before trying to unlock it. It putting the door in a bind because it tried to open but couldn't. So you need to push it back to fully close before you try to unlock it.
It will loosen up after awhile.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 12:25 AM   #5
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88Stanger View Post
Damn, its been a while since i last got to this question.
so what it is that i have the issue with is that after you lock the door and if someone does not pay attention that it is locked and they try to open the door. That is when the door lock makes a slight sound and the door partially moves a small bit, and then you try to unlock the door with the key and it is almost impossible until you push the door back to full closed position, which can be difficult.
I will try this move of the striker out as mentioned before. i have all new door lock and latch equipment so i am learning here.
Thanks for he suggestion lockDoc, sorry it took me some time to get back on here.

No problem, we all get busy with other things. Let us know how the adjustment works out....

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 12:30 AM   #6
67swb72klb

I have had issues with new aftermarket door latches not working right too
Old 01-07-2017, 12:38 AM   #7
my56chevytruck

As I've posted some time ago, I also had issues closing my doors with the OEM door seals. I couldn't get my doors to close, so I went to SOFF SEAL for my trucks door weatherstripping and had no problems thereafter. With the right weatherstripping materials, my door locks no longer jam on me. Just a thought.
my56chevytruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 07:59 AM   #8
Andy4639
Old member

Thumbs up Re: New door locks issue Auth new door seals

You can also try taking a ice pick and putting some holes in the rubber seals to let the air out when you shut the door.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 03:49 PM   #9
88Stanger

Thanks guys for all your help!!
I am going to try all the ideas presented. i just cannot for a few more weeks as i just got out of neck fusion surgery, but i really value all your ideas. As soon as i get back to the shop, i will update on this.
Really thank you for the comments and ideas!!!