The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-29-2004, 01:52 AM   #1
angelsairman
Future Owner

Question starter bolt size

can anyone tell me what thread count and length the starter bolts are for a chevy v8 automatic??
Old 03-29-2004, 02:08 AM   #2
cableguy0

if your trying to find replacements you can get em at about any auto parts store in the help section
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2004, 02:11 AM   #3
passthebuck
Sisyphus was my mentor!

i cant tell ya the thread count because I dont know, BUT i can tell ya that chev used three lengths of starter bolts - if you have a 14" flywheel you need two medium length ones & if you have a 12" flywheel, then you need a short & a long. They are special bolts though - they are knurled just under the head to locate the starter properly. DO NOT buy the crappy bolt selection they have in the HELP section of your local autoparts store - I used them once & they broke about a year into their use. I think they are those crappy zincplated bolts. Get real GM. I hope I've been of at least some help

-TWO 1967 GMC 910's. One with L6/3-on-the tree and the other with 355 w/435hp & a 700r4.
-a 2013 Honda Civic as my "sensible" car
passthebuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2004, 02:32 AM   #4
angelsairman
Future Owner

k well found them 3/8-16 by 4 21/64 GM#14097278 in case anyone was needing to know. Guess ill send the wife tommorrow to the dealership. THanks for your input