The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-07-2017, 12:20 PM   #1
jwalt2gfd

Engine location

Can a small block chevy be moved forward in a 1964 k10, and how much?
jwalt2gfd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 12:47 PM   #2
padresag

Re: Engine location

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalt2gfd View Post
Can a small block chevy be moved forward in a 1964 k10, and how much?
why?
ron
padresag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 01:01 PM   #3
jwalt2gfd

just to get the distributor away from the firewall a little more.
jwalt2gfd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 01:42 PM   #4
padresag

this was talked about in a thread last night.
what trans are you going to use
moving the engine forward in a 4 x 4 also shifts more weight over the frt axle an 1-1 1/2" isn't much but i all counts. I realize most 4 x 4s never leave the pavement, but you are going to use it 10% offroad which is quite a bit for a recreational driver.
ron
Old 01-07-2017, 08:09 PM   #5
sampsmit000

My HEI distrubutor fit just fine on my k10. If you're really worried about room you could get something like this https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-850055 and you should have plenty of room.
Old 01-08-2017, 02:11 AM   #6
Kenfuzed

Not sure on a K10 but on a couple different C10s (64-66) I've moved the engine forward for added clearance. On my 66 I moved the engine to the forward holes which are 3" forward. On another 64 drilled new holes 1" forward.

Yes there are several who will say this is not necessary so I'm not wanting to cause another debate over this, but I've found on 2 different trucks including my current 66 that the HEI large cap was literally touching one plugwire boot against the firewall. I've seen a couple others where there was a small gap, so not quite sure why some trucks have space and others don't.

Lengthening (retube) my driveshaft wasn't a big deal for me, however I could see where on a 4x4 moving the engine might complicate things.

JMHO

Ken's 1966 C10 build "Red Ale"
Follow on Instgram: @cv_performance
https://instagram.com/cv_performance
Harley Performance Parts: CV Performance (Harley related)
Enjoying the ride!
Kenfuzed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 02:55 AM   #7
padresag

old worn out cabmounts and things like that let things move a bit. maybe was in an accident at one time
ron
Old 01-08-2017, 03:35 AM   #8
Kenfuzed

Quote:
Originally Posted by padresag View Post
old worn out cabmounts and things like that let things move a bit. maybe was in an accident at one time
ron
Perhaps on others but on my truck the frame, new mounts and cab were in perfect condition. Same for the 64 I helped out with except it was a frame off restoration that was in pristine condition. Everything else on these trucks aligned perfectly. If I were the only truck owner to experience this I might think it were just an anomaly, but I've seen quite a few others where people either drilled new holes, pounded an indent into the firewall (not recommended), or went with another style of distributor. I suppose it all depends how you want to solve for this if its an issue. Again, I don't want to make this another debate or hijack the thread, just offering my opinion and that moving forward is what was required for me to accomplish my goals of not having the cap rub the firewall.

Enjoying the ride!
Old 01-08-2017, 08:39 AM   #9
Jimal

Quote:
Originally Posted by padresag View Post
this was talked about in a thread last night.
what trans are you going to use
moving the engine forward in a 4 x 4 also shifts more weight over the frt axle an 1-1 1/2" isn't much but i all counts. I realize most 4 x 4s never leave the pavement, but you are going to use it 10% offroad which is quite a bit for a recreational driver.
ron
Someone mentioned this in my cheap distributor thread last night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenfuzed View Post
Not sure on a K10 but on a couple different C10s (64-66) I've moved the engine forward for added clearance. On my 66 I moved the engine to the forward holes which are 3" forward. On another 64 drilled new holes 1" forward.

Yes there are several who will say this is not necessary so I'm not wanting to cause another debate over this, but I've found on 2 different trucks including my current 66 that the HEI large cap was literally touching one plugwire boot against the firewall. I've seen a couple others where there was a small gap, so not quite sure why some trucks have space and others don't.

Lengthening (retube) my driveshaft wasn't a big deal for me, however I could see where on a 4x4 moving the engine might complicate things.

JMHO
My truck's cab is not original to the frame (done by the PO) and the cab mounts and bushings are new. When I installed them I actually tried to fudge the cab back a bit to create some clearance (a quarter of an inch would make all the difference in the world) but when I bolted everything back together I was more or less back where I started, just a little higher because of the new bushings.
Jimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 04:07 PM   #10
Kenfuzed

Jimal in your situation I would say go with a small cap style distributor that has the coil external instead of moving the engine to accommodate a large cap HEI. Unlike a 2wd C10 you would have the lengths of 2 shafts to change if you move.

Here is a kit from Summit and is half the price of a MSD kit. I'm sure there are others but this one came up doing a quick search. I would just avoid the ebay specials and go with something that is backed up by the seller.
https://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/sum-csum2751

Enjoying the ride!
Old 01-08-2017, 04:20 PM   #11
The Rocknrod

I'm going to try this one out and see:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/191611380235...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
The Rocknrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 04:30 PM   #12
Kenfuzed

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rocknrod View Post
I'm going to try this one out and see:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/191611380235...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
That's the style you want but I'd be wary of some of the ebay products. You want to make sure that you can easily find replacement parts without having to track down that ebay seller again. Sometimes a few bucks extra spent through a reseller that can back the product is worth it.

Enjoying the ride!
Old 01-08-2017, 08:09 PM   #13
PGSigns

I am with Ken buy one you can get a module for easily. I would look at Pertronix. They have a good following and are available at all the local parts stores.
Jimmy
1966 BBW long fleet Daily driver
1965 BBW short fleet Sold and going to a good home
1965 Suburban
2003 3500 Duramax
2005 Ultra Classic
PGSigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 08:45 AM   #14
Jimal

Quote:
Jimal in your situation I would say go with a small cap style distributor that has the coil external instead of moving the engine to accommodate a large cap HEI. Unlike a 2wd C10 you would have the lengths of 2 shafts to change if you move.

Here is a kit from Summit and is half the price of a MSD kit. I'm sure there are others but this one came up doing a quick search. I would just avoid the ebay specials and go with something that is backed up by the seller.
https://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/sum-csum2751
Now we've come full circle. What started this whole thing for me was my post over in Engine & Drivetrain, and this cheap distributor. I might take 61K10's suggestion and buy two of them so I have a parts spare.
Old 01-11-2017, 02:52 AM   #15
Kenfuzed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimal View Post
Now we've come full circle. What started this whole thing for me was my post over in Engine & Drivetrain, and this cheap distributor. I might take 61K10's suggestion and buy two of them so I have a parts spare.
Or... for the same price buy a quality small-cap style distributor, then IF you have a failure you know you can count on finding replacement parts. I personally think that buying cheap twice in anticipation of failure sets you up for exactly that. Every time I consider cost over quality, I stop and consider how much it will suck if that savings leaves me stranded at the worst possible time and place. I've been on the wrong side of that decision too many times.

Enjoying the ride!
Old 01-11-2017, 02:29 PM   #16
Jimal

Quote:
Or... for the same price buy a quality small-cap style distributor, then IF you have a failure you know you can count on finding replacement parts. I personally think that buying cheap twice in anticipation of failure sets you up for exactly that. Every time I consider cost over quality, I stop and consider how much it will suck if that savings leaves me stranded at the worst possible time and place. I've been on the wrong side of that decision too many times.
Okay, since this has spilled into two different threads, I wasn't asking for general advice about the costs versus benefits of buying cheap versus expensive parts. My question was whether anyone had tried or currently uses the distributor I posted. I got a bunch of comments similar to yours, but no one apart from 61K10 and one other person saying they actually had any experience with it. And they were able to provide some insight.

With no one else able to share their specific experience with this specific component, I will have to consider whether I want to try this part and see what happens. My truck is not my main source of transportation, so I can experiment if I desire.
Old 01-11-2017, 02:42 PM   #17
The Rocknrod

Jimal - You don't approval from anyone. Like I said I'm trying the one I'm trying. I remember when Pertronix was just starting out and I got the same reaction from people of doom and gloom. Be cool, have fun and go for it.
The Rocknrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 05:40 PM   #18
Kenfuzed

Jimal - Actually this thread belonged to jwalt2gfd who I originally replied to, and the thread soon took this other turn. You replied to my answer that was for jwalt2gfd and mentioned your cab and new bushings so I thought you were looking for the same advice. When I began conversing with you here I wasn't aware you had your feet in two different threads. My advice is out there whether it is of any use to your or not... though maybe it will help someone else who really is looking for some friendly advice.

FWIW, I have used the distributor you posted in the other thread, but it sounds like you have things figured out. Best of luck to you on your other thread and your distributor situation.

Enjoying the ride!