The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-31-2012, 10:59 AM   #26
Str8axle

Re: TBI Conversion for a 283

Quote:
Originally Posted by stsalvage View Post
I'm not sure if they make a Cam for the 283 that is fuel injected.You know you can buy a wrecked 1997 chevy truck that has the lS1 motor in it do the swap over and use all the parts.

Now you can just go the edalbrock way and run a 500 or 600 CFM carb with performer intake.Run A HEI distributor.If your only drive it 2 times a month have a anti fuel cut off switch.Run it out of Gas like your lawn mower so that your carb would be full of old gas.Run some Sea foam in the Gas and oil and you should have a lively set up for years to come.One other thing get a battery cut off switch as well no need to drain the battery
I think you mean Vortec, not LS1. They are two completely different animals. The cam and lifters from a 305/350 tbi will fit your 283 or you can look up the cam specs and have a cam ground for your application. It can be done and will run really good.
Posted via Mobile Device

All my life, I've been told I'm a "Bad Influence"
Str8axle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 11:15 AM   #27
padresag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Str8axle View Post
I think you mean Vortec, not LS1. They are two completely different animals. The cam and lifters from a 305/350 tbi will fit your 283 or you can look up the cam specs and have a cam ground for your application. It can be done and will run really good.
Posted via Mobile Device
he thinks that your wasting your time playing around with a 283 and that you should just put in the ls1 and get it over with
ron
padresag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 08:15 PM   #28
scottveazie

Won't be pulling my 283 anytime soon, just don't have the heart to do it since it's an all original truck. I'll probably just leave it alone, and in time collect some 305 TBI parts.
Old 01-31-2012, 09:37 PM   #29
pmkrew

This kit gets some good reviews and is from a reputable company, might in the long run save you frustration and money...
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/FST-30226-KIT/
pmkrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 12:58 AM   #30
jfriar

A TBI set up should work great on a 283, get an adapter plate for the TBI and a stock computer a 5.0 computer should work best. These computer actually have the ability to learn or you can get a custom chip burned for them relatively cheap $200-$300. You shouldn't have to mess with the cam, you will have to upgrade to an hei type distributor and find places for various sensor (O2, temp, knock, etc) You can pull a harness from a junk yard they are not very difficult to go through, and you can google the wiring diagrams. You will need an electric fuel pump that puts out at least 15 psi and plumb a return line to your tank, neither of which are difficult to do. You can can do all of this relatively cheap if you scavenge ebay, craigslist and the local junk yards.

I have this very setup on a 350 in my 64 and it runs great, yes it is first generation EFI but it is very reliable, very easy to work on, and will give a boost in mileage, you wont be able to crank out 500hp without major modification to the engine but it doesn't sound like that's what you are after.
jfriar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 01:48 PM   #31
scottveazie

So it's been a while, and in the mean time I've been running a quadrajet on the 283, with mixed results. I think it gets better econ, don't drive it enough for that. I've noticed that I have to downshift more (4 speed granny) to get around corners at low rpms. The plus side it doesn't overheat anymore, the minus is that it has the typical quadrabog when you want the secondaries. I rarely stomp down on it to open them up though.

I did run across a holly projection unit for a pretty good price ($300) and was wondering if this would be worth it. Also, if I do this, I would need to run a return to the tank, and I'm not going to change my tank location from in the cab. Any ideas?
Old 07-31-2012, 02:22 PM   #32
tincan1966

I am running the Painless Performance wiring harness, a TBI unit from a 454, and an adapter plate from summit on an Edelbrock Performer 2.0 intake on my 427. Granted, not running right now, but the set up is simple. You can go on Painless website and they have a chart on which computer/prom to use, along with all the sensors needed with part numbers. What we found was the easiset was to find a worn out '88-'94 chevy pickup and rob all the goodies from it, including the distributor, sensors, etc. Don't forget, you'll need an O2 sensor in one exhaust pipe. The harness I used, incorporated the lock up solenoid control for the 700R4 trans, too.
tincan1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 02:36 PM   #33
esbstuff

Here's idea, GM put in the Caprice's a 4.3L V8 (not a missprint, V-8, 267 cubic inch). I believe some of these later motors were TBI... so it should be a bolt-in as much as it can be. I realize you will lose the oil fill tube, but the computer programing will be there to run that small cubic inch motor.

If I remember right the later "Bubble" cars had the FI 4.3 as an option.
esbstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 04:24 PM   #34
'63GENIII

When I was gathering all the parts for my '97 454 swap, I went to Howell. They built a harness for me that will allow the computer too be placed under the seat of the truck. I'm not too sure how their prices compare but the instructions are pretty clear and everything seems to be labeled well. I have been happy with their service and quality so far. I have not installed it yet, but have test fit it onto the engine sitting in the garage and it fits perfect. They unlocked the anti theft as well as removed the smog stuff since it's going in the '63. I too have thought about modifying my original tank to accept the return line and the electric in-tank pump. My only concern might be the noise that it makes? Might be able to insulate the tank better though.

'63 k15 long step
Vortec 7.4 - L29 Blackbear tune, Five 0 Motorsports injectors, Chris Straub Cam, NV4500, divorced 205
52" front and 63" rear spring swap
D44 / 14bff - disc axles
Milemarker 9K and 10.5K hydraulic winches

63" & B52 Spring Install http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ng+swap+thread

NV4500 Reverse Build Thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=reverse+build

L29 - 7.4 Vortec Build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...&highlight=L29
'63GENIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 04:30 PM   #35
'63GENIII

By the way, I think your idea is pretty cool with trying to keep the 283 and modernize it a little. I would have liked to have done the same with the 396 in mine but the 454 fell into my lap and the 396 wasn't original anyway. Keep us posted!

'63 k15 long step
Vortec 7.4 - L29 Blackbear tune, Five 0 Motorsports injectors, Chris Straub Cam, NV4500, divorced 205
52" front and 63" rear spring swap
D44 / 14bff - disc axles
Milemarker 9K and 10.5K hydraulic winches

63" & B52 Spring Install http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ng+swap+thread

NV4500 Reverse Build Thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=reverse+build

L29 - 7.4 Vortec Build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...&highlight=L29
'63GENIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 09:40 PM   #36
Fastrucken

I'm still on the TPI band wagon. It Should give you a boost in torque down low and breath good enough for a 283. I've had the TBI and was never overly happy it felt just as boggy as a Q-jet but without the air flow.

A TPI setup can be had for 200-250$. A throttle body from a 454 is around 100$ (but can be lucked into cheaper). The adapter plate is at least 40+.

I'm Still a Megasquirt guy and would be cool in your case because you could start out with a regular distributator and run it as fuel only and then add the ignition control after you get the fuel side (and being comfortable with the whole setup) going.you could go with the Megasquirt 1 and the computer would cost 160 and you would have to solder it together... but would recommed a megasquirt 2, its just little better control.

But if you stick with the stock electronics you can get any year tpi setup but use the 87+ speed density computer to save some head aches....

Graham
Old 07-31-2012, 10:12 PM   #37
1Bad62Pro/Street
"Where were you in '62?"

Talking Re: TBI Conversion for a 283

AVENGER EFI 2BBL THROTTLE BODY FUEL INJECTION SYSTEM
http://www.holley.com/550-200.asp

Edelbrock E-Street Fuel Injection

MSD's Atomic EFI System
What Are You Workin' On? - 1Bad62ChevyPickup
PROJECT: "TYRANNORAMBLER REX"
1969 AMC Rambler American Nostalgia Pro/Street
Youtube Channel: Father Son Projects
Youtube Channel: 2TIMOTHY2FITHTEEN

"North and South Carolina Folks Click Here!"
(((( ~ I have Parts For Sale & Miscellaneous Stuff ~ ))))

"Well being as there's no other place around the place,
I reckon this must be the place, I reckon...Nyuk Nyuk Nyuk" -Curly Howard Ph.D.
1Bad62Pro/Street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 03:15 PM   #38
rockosocko

Bringing this back to life just because I don't have time to do a whole write-up.

LONG story of having vehicles dying on me and ended up having to try dropping what I had in to get me to work.
truck= 1995 Chevy 2500, NV4500, 3.42 gear, 31" tires and STOCK TBI INJECTION
'62 283 block, .060 forged pistons
Spread bore TBI injection adapter plate off Ebay. ($65.00)
NGK UR4 plugs (hotter than UR5's)
self ported '97 Vortec heads with Lunati bee-hive type springs etc.
Comp xe268h cam
Chevy II oil pan with Melling pump/pickup. (motor was supposed to go in another project.
2-piece Flywheel assy.
Fuel pump took a dump during break in but after replacing pump it's RUNNING!
Kinda pig rich on warm up.
Going out now to recheck timing (might be off a bit)

Sounds MEAN for what the compression theoretically added up to. (8.3)
but get's almost double the mileage TOO!! I drive about 20mi each way mostly hwy and at 70mph I'm only turning 2000r's
Only have about 100 miles so far, but sure seems like it's got more power than the 350 that was in it before (only about 170hp when they were new)
Once I get around 2300rpms you can feel the cam wanting to stretch it's legs! BUT, not enough vacuum at Idle and it's 'searching' a bit.
don't know how to upload vids. Maybe my kids can show me..
Gotta jet..

Errol
rockosocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 05:30 PM   #39
Cris

This is worth a look. Getting very good feedback on this and its $799:

http://fitechefi.com/products/30003/

Here's Holleys new product that competes with the FI tech unit. I haven't heard many comments on this one:

https://www.holley.com/products/fuel...on/sniper_efi/
Cris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 11:00 PM   #40
rockosocko

I've got a bud here at work and he's installed 2 already.
ABSOLUTLY LOVES THEM. (the FI-Tec) Even got one that's boosted so he says.
Check out all the vids on youtube.

Through situations out of my control my meager savings went poof, otherwise
I would've purchased one for my '96 Jeep Cherokee/2dr,2wd,4cyl,5spd that I'm installing a warmed over 5.2/NV3550.
If you do, get the command center also. It takes whatever fuel in and processes it (with gauges) for the injection, so there's no guessing. But its' another 3-$400
CHEAPEST SETUP going! Like 4 wires to connect. For just the base is only $795 (haven't found it any cheaper)

BUT, I'm not thread jacking per se. I'm going tomorrow to look for a 88-89 truck TBI 5.0 ECU/PCM and go from there with the 'elimination' process.

Like I said, the 283 was Well worth it. It's still an air pump. Just smaller.
Once I figure out what's the best video upload, I'll post it.
Errol
rockosocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 08:39 AM   #41
LostMy65
But Found Her 25yrs Later!

I am totally happy with my FiTech TBI.
Fires up first crank even after setting for months. Check out the buyer reviews on Summit.

66 C20 Service Truck:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=428035
LostMy65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 10:42 PM   #42
andyh1956

I ran a junkyard TBI on a 307, worked great.
What I know:
TBI tells you to time 0 degrees BTDC, they LIKE 4 degrees BTDC best.
They like MORE fuel pressure, you can get it by restricting the fuel return if necessary.
DO NOT buy !$#@&! Airtex fuel pumps!!! Just DON'T do it!!!
If you adapt to a Q-Jet intake, make your own adapter that only supply air to the forward two holes, the primaries.
TBI engines like increased compression.
Here is some good info on TBI. I have more performance TBI stuff but can't find it right now. Good luck!
http://chevythunder.com/gm_throttle_...ction_pg_1.htm
Oh yeah we are running a Comp Cams TPI cam in our '88 K5 Blazer, so far so good!
andyh1956 is offline   Reply With Quote