The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-20-2017, 12:19 PM   #1
ken4444

Number of non-body, steel parts?

I'm putting together a plan for the rebuild of a C10. Does anyone know roughly or specifically how many non-body steel parts there are in a C-10? I'm trying to get an idea of how long it would take to media blast and possibly powder coat parts like the control arms, sway bar, engine mounts, possibly engine-related brackets, pitman arm, steering links, bump stop mounts, brake line/hose mounting clips, and whatever other brackets and parts are under the chassis. The frame itself would be one obvious part, but that's so large it's kind of a special deal. The axle would not be included, as I would probably clean and repaint that myself and replace the seals and bearings while I had it out.

I'm not worried so much about brackets and parts inside the cab that are more protected from the elements, unless there are parts that would be good candidates for blasting and coating.

I want to avoid spending too much of my own time and materials manually stripping and cleaning parts one at a time and breaking out a rattle can to paint them. That is time consuming work and when you add in the cost of wire wheels, wire brushes, sand paper, wear on tools, chemical strippers, chemical cleaners, gloves, paint, and the fact that these methods aren't as good as blasting on some parts, then there is a dollar cost to doing it yourself and the end result isn't as good or possibly as durable as the alternative.

Yes, I could get a blasting cabinet but I don't have room for one and I don't have a good air supply for that anyhow.

What I envision is getting the C10 apart as much as needed and taking boxes of parts to get stripped and possibly powder coated all at once. I want to avoid having to make multiple trips because the place I use for powder coating (Precision Powder Coating in Spring, Texas) is about 45 minutes from my house.

So, I need to figure out generally how many parts I'm on the hook for. One way to approach it is to just start listing things I haven't already thought of above.
ken4444 is offline   Reply With Quote