The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-29-2004, 02:13 AM   #1
chevychic

Arrow Look what I found today [PICS]

I was finally able to get my truck pulled (and pushed) around to the car port so I could start looking at things to determine which part of it was broke.

I started at the governor, pulled it since it was the simplest thing to do. It was in perfect shape.
Next stop was the transfer case. At a tranny mechanics request, I drained it into a pan with a magnet in it to check for any metal. Nothing, the fluid that drained out was clean.
Then I moved to the tranny.

I drained it and here's what I found:

Looks like all the teeth to my spline have been shaved off. From what I can tell, they went directly into the pan and don't appear to have gotten into the tranny gears. The fluid is also in good shape and doesn't smell burnt.

There's a guy locally who can build any driveline part you want. I'm going to find out how much he'll charge to build me a new, stronger spline. I'm also going to check into using the spline out of my old 700R4 I have sitting here, but who knows how much abuse it's had.

Hopefully in the next 2 weeks, I'll drop this tranny and get the spline replaced.
How hard is the spline to replace? I was actually thinking of looking at my old disabled 700R4 and seeing what all was involved so I could determine if I could do it myself or if this is something that should be left to the pros.

If I can't be a good example, then I'll just have to be a horrible warning.

"You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think"
- Christopher Robin
chevychic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2004, 02:34 AM   #2
apstguy
LED King

I definitly think that is your problem... but you know that already. Your talking about the input spline right? It is connected to the pump which is the most important part of the tranny. Without it nothing works. It is pretty deep in there. I'm usually gung-ho about things I haven't taken apart and fixing them, but I think this would best be left to a professional. But then again, I don't have alot of experience with them so I could be completly wrong.

1985 C10 305 w/ Bowtie OD TH700R4 3.42 LSD 202,000 miles
2006 Ford Focus ZX3 5-speed Stick
2016 Chevy Spark EV
Gone: 2002.5 VW GTI 24v VR6
Gone: 2008 VW R32
apstguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2004, 02:56 AM   #3
gchemist
BAD BOW-Silverado XST

WOW!! One reason I opted for a harden shaft on my 700R4. UPGRADE!!! The torque from the engine must be a killa!! Either way the entire insides will need to pulled out for cleaning.

Look at www.bulkpart.com for new parts.

Last edited by gchemist; 03-29-2004 at 03:04 AM.
gchemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2004, 03:08 AM   #4
Tom
driving is in my blood

dam....from a mostly stock 350....imagine that thing behind a big block or a stroker

Good luck
-CBR600F4i, CBR600RR, CBR1000RR, and standup skis
DISCLAIMER: I cant spell for the life of me.
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2004, 03:38 AM   #5
Russell
Professional Grade

I'm looking into rebuilding a 700r4 as well -- This website makes it look like it won't be as expensive as I originally thought...

Has anyone here got transmission rebuilding experience, or am I gonna have to go at it alone here with a couple of books to guide me?
Old 03-29-2004, 04:44 AM   #6
toytruck
5-7 dropped 87 CC Dually

Don't forget that all that crap went into the converter too.
Old 03-29-2004, 06:27 AM   #7
mike reeh
5 day ban, learn to behave.

got shrapnel? Im confused as to which splined shaft you think it is, heather. I guess the input shaft like was already mentioned.. Whats up with the warranty on that tranny? I think it would be worth taking back to the builder. At any rate you gotta pull the whole trans then you can remove the converter and get a better look. I was hoping for your sake that it was just something easy, but I should know better by now! It never is. as always- keep us posted, i know you will

mike
mike reeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2004, 09:45 AM   #8
Blue Beard

Don't you know you were only suppose to shave the door handles.....think you shaved too close...

Let us know what the results are on the rebuild..
1956 Chev Bel Air
1977 Blazer 2WD For Sale $3000.00
1978 Blazer 2WD For Sale $7000.00
1978 Silverado
2005 Monte Carlo
Blue Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2004, 11:03 AM   #9
Grim Reaper

Splines as in Stator shaft?

Rebuild the whole thing. Those splines are after the filter. There is going to be crud in the Galley's. It's going to get down into the seals and trash them. If that happens then the clutches will start slipping.
Grim Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2004, 09:58 PM   #10
79BIG10
I'm back with 2nd truck!

That's awful looking!! With something like that shattered in pieces I would do like Grim Reaper said and get it all redone. One thing on a tranny is that it has to be perfectly clean. When you get your tranny out to rebuild it make sure to flush your tranny lines as well. I hate too say it but I would think that would have gotten into the torque converter as well. Hopefully that you can just flush out as well.

"Don't underestimate how sexy a fat man who drinks to excess can be." Homer Simpson
79BIG10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2004, 02:22 AM   #11
chevychic

Since the tranny is still in the truck at this point, I'm only guessing at where these are from. I'll know for sure when I drop the tranny weekend after next. My birthday is next weekend and I really don't want to spend it working on this right now..at least not unless I was making more power or something :p

So I'll be sure to take pics.

Basically, this came off of something in the front of the tranny. When the truck is running, the flex plate and converter still spin. I was thinking that it was the part of the shaft that mates with the converter, but since it still spins, I'm not sure. I don't even know if what I'm thinking is making sense at this point, so someone can jump in and help me if I'm off base.
My neighbor thinks the pieces in the pan are too small to be from the spline and was thinking it could possibly be the teeth from the flexplate.

At any rate, it's all just a guessing game right now until I drop the tranny and see.

I'll be sure to keep everyone posted.

EDIT: I just did some quick research on the net and what's in my pan looks like the splines I have arrowed on this pic. But this is just another guess until I find out for sure.

Here's the site where I got the pics. He has other usefull transmission stuff on there too http://www.highperformancecars.com/crosley/drvshell.htm

If I can't be a good example, then I'll just have to be a horrible warning.

"You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think"
- Christopher Robin

Last edited by chevychic; 03-30-2004 at 02:37 AM.
chevychic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2004, 02:47 AM   #12
Bowed

QUOTE "My neighbor thinks the pieces in the pan are too small to be from the spline and was thinking it could possibly be the teeth from the flexplate ".

No , the breakage is inside the case , probably shaft splines and associated parts damage . Like the others said complete rebuild.
Bowed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2004, 02:55 AM   #13
1FaastC10
Account Suspended

Re: Look what I found today [PICS]

Quote:
Originally posted by chevychic
I'm also going to check into using the spline out of my old 700R4 I have sitting here, but who knows how much abuse it's had.
why not have it rebuilt, put it in the place of the bad one, and be done with it?
1FaastC10 is offline   Reply With Quote