The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-26-2017, 12:11 AM   #1
TechBill

Bill's 1986 C!0 Chevy Truck

Howdy!

I own a 1986 C10 Chevy w/ 305 motor. It was my first full size truck and I had ti for a very long time until the radiator sprung a leak back in 2008 so I parked it at a friend's fence backyard since then.

About 6 years ago while my friend was away in college, someone climbed over the fence and they stole my both of my doors, hood, tailgate, brake light covers and a horn button.

So it been sitting out exposed to the weather until I finally gotten around to towing back to my home and now it sitting in my garage. It going to need a lot of work.

While it was sitting out in backyard, vines grew inside the engine compartment and we had to clip the vines off to get the truck out of the backyard onto the trailer!

The first photo show the vines growing up into the engine compartment and second one after I removed all the vines. It was a major pain trying to carefully remove the vines from the wiring and vacuum hoses.

The last one is the carburetor, I just rebuild it back in 2008 and I thought it was protected by the air filter housing but I guess I was wrong about that and it seem water got into the carb around the wing nut at the top.

Look like I am going to have to rebuild it again and hopefully it not pitted.
Attached Images

TechBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 12:18 AM   #2
TechBill

Re: Bill's 1986 C!0 Chevy Truck

Here are the photos of interior and side of the truck.

All surface rust but no dents in the body or holes on the floor.

I brought doors and hood from the junkyard, it came off a Chevy Suburban so it have a power windows and locks on it.

I will need to change out the door card because the driver side have 4 power switch for windows. This will need to be swapped out with two switch. The door card is in a poor shape anyway.

The hood used to have a hood ornament because there two hole where it used to be at. I probably need to find someone to weld those holes in. I don't like hood ornament anyway and I have no plan putting on one in. Also my C10 truck is trimless and the Suburban door have trims so probably going to have to weld those holes that keep the trim on the door after I pop off the trims.
Attached Images

Old 01-26-2017, 12:26 AM   #3
TechBill

I welcome any feedback or advice!

First thing I probably will do is try to get the nine year old gas out of the tank and discard it property.

I am thinking after removing gas, I should discard all spark plugs and replace the oil then do a compression test to see if it worth investing in the truck motor.

I would like to keep motor stock as much possible with minor change like removing the air pump and EGR then update the air conditioning for the 134a Freon if there such kits to update the A/C out there.

As for the carb, i am hoping I still can savage the one on it now and rebuild it.

There a local radiator repair shop so I will take the stock radiator and have it repaired.

All the wiring under the hood have lost it wrapping or tubing so I going to look to see if it possible to find a aftermarket wiring loom to swap it out to keep it safe. The colors on wires are fading away and it almost all same white wires.

That about all I can think of that I plan to start with first.

Feel free to chime in any feedback or advice!

Thank you

Last edited by TechBill; 01-26-2017 at 12:38 AM.
Old 01-26-2017, 03:14 PM   #4
TechBill

I been reading up on best way to clean my carburetor to restore it back to it former glory.

From what I googled on the net, it seem that Soda Blasting is the way to go to clean carburetor these days and it probably can remove all those rust (hopefully it only surface rust with no pits) without creating pits on the brass.

Also it seem easy enough to make your own Soda Blaster for this task.
Old 01-26-2017, 08:16 PM   #5
TechBill

Pulled off the carburetor

Doesn't look too good in the intake. I probably going to have to pull the intake off too..
Attached Images

Old 01-27-2017, 08:11 AM   #6
cadillac_al

Sad story. That's the worst carb I have ever seen. I have a feeling a couple cylinders are going to look the same way. The bed looks great. I think I would restore it if it was mine. If you don't have smog restrictions I would buy an older carb to rebuild and a Skip White distributor and run it that way. If I was betting money I would bet that you need another engine too. Good luck.
77 Chevy K10
cadillac_al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 01:16 PM   #7
daddyjeep

I agree with Al. At a minimum you are going to need to pull the heads to see what the cylinders look like. Stick with it though. It is great to see you bringing back your own old truck.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=786514
daddyjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 01:20 PM   #8
TechBill

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillac_al View Post
Sad story. That's the worst carb I have ever seen. I have a feeling a couple cylinders are going to look the same way. The bed looks great. I think I would restore it if it was mine. If you don't have smog restrictions I would buy an older carb to rebuild and a Skip White distributor and run it that way. If I was betting money I would bet that you need another engine too. Good luck.
It depends on if the intake valves on 1 and 3 were shut since driver front tire was flat and that where water would had gone to.

I think there still a chance that block may be okay but the heads probably need to be rebuild

I am going to pull out all the plugs and see if there are any rusts on it

Then going see if i can rent a bore camera to inspect it

Bill
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-27-2017, 01:22 PM   #9
TechBill

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechBill View Post
It depends on if the intake valves on 1 and 3 were shut since driver front tire was flat and that where water would had gone to.

I think there still a chance that block may be okay but the heads probably need to be rebuild

I am going to pull out all the plugs and see if there are any rusts on it

Then going see if i can rent a bore camera to inspect it

Bill
Posted via Mobile Device
my mistake. it's 1 and 3 for driver side

Bil
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-27-2017, 01:33 PM   #10
moregrip

back in the day we would soak the cylinders with marvel mystery oil to help loosen the piston rings when motors sat for a long time. Not sure if that's still a practice or not.

1983 Chevy C10 250/3spd (current project truck)
1976 Chevy C10 350/350 Heavy Half (future project truck)
moregrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 01:52 PM   #11
TechBill

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddyjeep View Post
I agree with Al. At a minimum you are going to need to pull the heads to see what the cylinders look like. Stick with it though. It is great to see you bringing back your own old truck.
This is true but I am hoping that I could do compression test before pulling heads if i only needed to rebuild the heads.

if water only stopped in heads then cylinders and rings should be okay.

I am thinking of pulling all plugs out and give a good hearty spray of WD40 in each Cylinders then try turn over motor with breaker bar see if there any binding to it.

If motor seen to turn okay then do a compression test and pull heads after test. I am still hopeful that rings are okay and water didn't get in cylinders

Bill
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-27-2017, 02:04 PM   #12
TechBill

However what I might do is pull the intake off and see how bad the intake ports on the heads are then do a compression test without the intake.

But first I need to check see if it okay to do compression test without any anti-freeze in the motor since without the intake the anti-freeze will be spraying all over

I figured that since motor only turning on starter power then it will never get hot that it would need anti-freeze in first place

Bill
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-27-2017, 04:20 PM   #13
superdav

That sucks, I would imagine that motor is trashed
superdav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 06:39 PM   #14
TechBill

At first I was going to snap on the missing pieces on it and then start driving it but it looks like it becoming a more a project so I started a new project thread in the project forum here .

Here the link to the new project thread if you want to follow or subscribe to it.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=728768

Bill