The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-23-2017, 02:48 PM   #1
ooimpalaoo

71 k10 lunging? when driving please help

ok so once again im calling on your help. my k10 was running great then one day im going to use the word lunged forward. i only use it 3 days a week on the highway and last week it got to the point where it did it like 6 times on the way to work. now my truck is stuck at work i cant move it 20 feet without it doing the same thing. the motor runs great. starts great idles great. revs great. what the hell is going on? any ideas where i should start? thanx for the help
ooimpalaoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 03:38 PM   #2
landy

Re: 71 k10 lunging? when driving please help

Provide some more details such as which engine, is it stock, have you done anything to it recently, more detailed description of the problem, etc. Typically, if engine is hesitating or missing, which I assume is what you're describing, it's a fuel-related or spark-related problem.
landy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 03:48 PM   #3
ooimpalaoo

its a 350 has a intake and a 4 barrel carb nothing fancy. as far as saying mor about it i dont know it hops.bucks.jerks???? going to put me through the window the tranny is a sm465. i changed the cap and nothing. i dont want to just start tossing parts at it. fuel filter is clean just swapped it out few weeks ago.
Old 01-23-2017, 04:28 PM   #4
geezer#99

Fuel pump could be quitting.
Pull the line off the carb, stick the end in a litre jar and crank it for 30 seconds. It should fill it strongly and quickly.
If not then it's fuel pump time.
geezer#99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 05:02 PM   #5
HO455
Post Whore

Can you define the symptom a little better? You say it lunges. That implies when running down the road the truck suddenly accelerated on its own. As if the throttle had been winged open. Is this what your experiencing?
If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 05:31 PM   #6
ooimpalaoo

ok a kick back like trying to break in a wild horse
Old 01-23-2017, 05:40 PM   #7
El Dorado Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by geezer#99 View Post
Fuel pump could be quitting.
Pull the line off the carb, stick the end in a litre jar and crank it for 30 seconds. It should fill it strongly and quickly.
If not then it's fuel pump time.
x2
El Dorado Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 05:43 PM   #8
rmneder

Could you possibly be in 4 wheel drive? On a hard surface it will feel like that.
rmneder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 10:56 PM   #9
towbar

Location: Marshall, NC....heart of the Appalachians.....aka, Gods country!!

Starts, idles, and revs fine....all with no load from the way it sounds.

My first look would be at the fuel supply. As geezer#99 said, a fuel pump test is a good place to start. I myself would check the simple stuff first...fuel filter for clogs, fuel line for kinks (metal or rubber). Sometimes old rubber fuel lines deteriorate inside...especially with ethanol fuels, this could be partially blocking the fuel supply from the engine. I have personally experienced cracked fuel lines sucking air from the outside creating the same problem you described. Don't forget the fuel strainer in the fuel tank.

Good luck
towbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 12:05 AM   #10
HO455
Post Whore

I would look at the power to the coil including the ignition switch. A momentary loss of voltage will cause the engine to die then jump back to life. A quick check would be to run a jumper wire from the battery positive post to the coil to see if the problem disappears. If your still running a stock points ignition system it would be safe for a short time at full 12 volts.. With points another trouble spot would be in the advance mechanism ground wire inside the distributor. Just pull the cap and give it a tug to be sure it's not broken. You could also check it with an ohm meter. If all this checks out pull a plug wire and hook up a spark tester then take it for a spin while watching to see if you losing spark. Or if you have any "so called friends" just have them come over and hold the plug then if they quit hollering you know you lost spark. I'm a believer in the old adage "80% of all carburetor problems are electrical". Just a couple of quick and cheap checks to narrow the list of culprits.
Good luck
Old 01-31-2017, 01:54 AM   #11
ooimpalaoo

yes it was the power to the coil. thanx for the help. that is a great great tip. it seamed to be a fuel or spark problem, i dont know if i would have ever figured it out. thanx again
Old 01-31-2017, 05:17 PM   #12
El Dorado Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooimpalaoo View Post
yes it was the power to the coil. thanx for the help. that is a great great tip. it seamed to be a fuel or spark problem, i dont know if i would have ever figured it out. thanx again
how did you find and fix your problem?
El Dorado Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 01:20 AM   #13
ooimpalaoo

well the last guy tied in a wire that was the wrong gauge so i replaced the whole wire with the right gauge and problem solved. it was a crazy thing to look over seams so simple. i wonder how long it would have taken me to get it on my oun....never? who knows. thanx again.
Old 02-01-2017, 10:14 AM   #14
HO455
Post Whore

Glad to hear you found the problem and are "On the road again"
Old 02-01-2017, 11:12 AM   #15
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooimpalaoo View Post
What distributor and coil? HEI with an in cap coil? If so... it needs a dedicated 12v wire that comes directly off of the fuse block from a lead that is only hot when the key is on. If the original coil wire (which has an inline resistor wire) is being used from the stock canister coil... you will have problems with voltage drop.

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 11:10 PM   #16
ooimpalaoo

that was it exactly. it was getting a voltage drop. the PO must have just used the original wire.