The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-03-2017, 01:23 PM   #1
Tony_W

Radiator with Elec/fan purchase

Looking to price a after market Radiator with elec/fan or fans.

It would go in a 1980 chevy c10 2wd short base step side.

Right now I have a 350 2 barrel in it with th350 trans. BUT I have a nice running 454 that I may put in it this summer or next year(maybe)

Also mention this spring I have a 700r4 I'm going to hook up to the 350, but I know I will need to consider a build for it if I plan to put the 454 in front of it.

Anyways anyone have a good source or flat out know of a radiator that will go in the truck at a good price with electric fan/fans?
Tony_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 09:42 PM   #2
Bobby Pootz

Re: Radiator with Elec/fan purchase

I don't know much about radiators, I'm about to start my own search soon, I have a stock 305 that will be a 383 soon. So I'm looking to upgrade the cooling.

Two good brands to check, they are spendy though.

Ron Davis Radiators and Be Cool Radiators

Good luck and I'll post up when I find out more info!

Rob
Bobby Pootz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 03:48 PM   #3
tucsonjwt

I am alone on this forum in thinking that a standard aluminum/plastic radiator from the parts stores are adequate for either engine you plan to use. I have had two 454 C20s which I have driven in the HotZona desert with no problems using the stock radiators. They did eventually leak, and were repaired when possible, but I now believe plastic/aluminum aftermarket are better.

My current 83 C20 454 has a Spectra aftermarket aluminum/plastic which I got from AutoZone for about $100 (20% off sale and free shipping.) I replaced the original aluminum/plastic radiator in my 2002 Cavalier at 147,000 miles only because it was clogged up, but it was still not leaking. The AC Delco OEM replacement was about $100 on that one also.

Regarding fans, I replaced the fan clutch with an AC Delco part, and used the stock fan. I did add a pusher fan I got from a Geo Metro at the pick and pull. I had very little room for a supplemental fan since I have a factory oil cooler. I wired this additional fan to a relay connected to the a/c compressor power wire, so it comes on only when the a/c compressor turns on. It does help with a/c performance when using 134a refrigerant.
tucsonjwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 04:53 PM   #4
1970pelle

I spent the money and went with a Flex-A-Lite electric fan set up. Its a dual fan with its own module which allows you to adjust your fan on and off settings. And has the program for dual speeds to use with A/C and super high temps if that condition where to happen. Plus a manual on off function.
The one it bought fit my radiator size perfect.

https://www.flex-a-lite.com/electric-fans.html

Ken

“There is no limit to the amount of good you can do if you don't care who gets the credit.”
― Ronald Reagan
1970pelle is offline   Reply With Quote