The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-05-2017, 12:00 AM   #1
i82much

holley choke delay

has anyone tried this?

On a really cold day my quick fuel choke opens way too fast, going to give it a shot.

https://www.holley.com/products/fuel...s/parts/45-267

I want my truck to be available as an all-weather driver, start it and go. I have a working heat riser and I am debating whether to put together a thermal air cleaner setup, but this looks like it could be a big help. Right now, my truck starts great but after the choke opens and the truck is not warmed up it wants to die.
i82much is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 11:59 AM   #2
B. W.

Re: holley choke delay

I have one on one of my plow truck, can't say if it makes a difference, been on there since I got it years ago. I would try to roll the choke in a little more first & see if that makes a difference. I'm assuming it's a thermistor with less resistance when its cold & more when it warms up, this will slow down the warm up of the bi-metal coil in the choke. So if you dial the choke slightly richer it should do the same. One thing it may do is compensate for extreme temp changes, that would be nice.
B. W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 02:23 PM   #3
i82much

Quote:
Originally Posted by B. W. View Post
I have one on one of my plow truck, can't say if it makes a difference, been on there since I got it years ago. I would try to roll the choke in a little more first & see if that makes a difference. I'm assuming it's a thermistor with less resistance when its cold & more when it warms up, this will slow down the warm up of the bi-metal coil in the choke. So if you dial the choke slightly richer it should do the same. One thing it may do is compensate for extreme temp changes, that would be nice.
I think my choke is actually set too rich already. It takes a minute or so to start opening and runs like hell when the choke is closed, but once it starts to warm up it opens pretty fast. I want to slow that rate down so that it takes maybe 10 minutes or so from when I start the truck until when the choke opens up all the way. My hope is that I can actually lean the choke housing somewhat and yet still have the choke take longer to open than it does currently.

Basically, I think those aftermarket electric chokes are designed for guys to start their hot rod in their garage on a 40 degree day and be able to pull out and go for a ride. My 72 sits outside and on a 10 degree morning it is pretty finicky even with the choke set pretty aggressively.

What I would like to see is for the truck slowly step down the high idle settings over the course of 10 minutes or so, that way I can start it up and get going without having to put it in neutral and feather the gas at every stop light.
Old 02-05-2017, 02:44 PM   #4
geezer#99

Might not be a problem with the choke, might be a problem with intake plenum heat.
Do you have headers?
What intake?
geezer#99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 05:26 PM   #5
i82much

Quote:
Originally Posted by geezer#99 View Post
Might not be a problem with the choke, might be a problem with intake plenum heat.
Do you have headers?
What intake?
manifolds with a working heat riser and a performer intake. i think the manifold heat is fine. the open element air cleaner does not help but i need to rig something and have not gotten to it.
Old 02-05-2017, 05:52 PM   #6
B. W.

If the choke is too rich already this may delay it & allow you to lean the choke a bit, may make a difference, can't hurt anything to try (except for the wallet!)
B. W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 06:13 PM   #7
davepl

Does the performer intake even have an exhaust crossover? Sounds like you're running an aftermarket Holley carb, aftermarket intake, and aftermarket air cleaner... so that none of the cold-start stuff is even present, let alone working.

It can be challenging to get that setup driveable, and it'll never approach stock behavior, though it can come close if the heat crossover is at least functioning.

The themac (heat stove and pipe) goes a long way, but I've owned cars like a 413 Imperial that predated that setup and it still ran OK in the severe cold, so it's possible. But you need to heat the carb - if you're waiting 10 minutes for the choke to open because your carb isn't being warmed at all, it's going to be an annoying 10 minutes I think...
davepl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 07:56 PM   #8
geezer#99

Quote:
Originally Posted by i82much View Post
manifolds with a working heat riser and a performer intake. i think the manifold heat is fine. the open element air cleaner does not help but i need to rig something and have not gotten to it.
Maybe all you need is a manual throttle control to keep the revs up after the choke is fully off.
Old 02-05-2017, 09:22 PM   #9
i82much

Quote:
Originally Posted by geezer#99 View Post
Maybe all you need is a manual throttle control to keep the revs up after the choke is fully off.
No, this truck has a mild cam, stock-style intake, exhaust manifolds, I mean it really shouldn't need that. Something else is going on.
Old 02-05-2017, 09:55 PM   #10
geezer#99

Take some pics!
Might jog something.