The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-10-2017, 09:35 PM   #1
Mtrdrms

68 C20 exhaust questions/opinions

Hi everyone. So i have a 68 c20 that I'm bringing back from the dead and with the help of a new carburetor and gas tank, ran for the first time at least 20 years today. My new dilemma has to do with exhaust. The truck has headers and my questions are 1) how do I identify the brand? They are white and the drivers side collector exits straight toward the rear and the passenger side exits about 15 degrees in a downward direction. And 2) what is the best way to go about getting an exhaust bolted up to these unkown headers? I can take it to a my exhaust guy and have him fab up something for $$$ or I have seen kits available from summit and others that look ok but don't really have great reviews. Any suggestions or advice?
Thanks!
Andy
Mtrdrms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 10:38 PM   #2
'68OrangeSunshine

Re: 68 C20 exhaust questions/opinions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtrdrms View Post
Hi everyone. So i have a 68 c20 that I'm bringing back from the dead and with the help of a new carburetor and gas tank, ran for the first time at least 20 years today. My new dilemma has to do with exhaust. The truck has headers and my questions are 1) how do I identify the brand? They are white and the drivers side collector exits straight toward the rear and the passenger side exits about 15 degrees in a downward direction. And 2) what is the best way to go about getting an exhaust bolted up to these unkown headers? I can take it to a my exhaust guy and have him fab up something for $$$ or I have seen kits available from summit and others that look ok but don't really have great reviews. Any suggestions or advice?
Thanks!
Andy
I'd just go to an exhaust shop and have them do it, if I didn't know some clever welder buddy, who has all kinds of experience, and owed me a favor.
Save time and money in the long run. Unless you're way out and getting a box from summit or jegs is easier than slashing your way back into town.

Headers can be painted by a PO any color. White is not a usual mfr color [always black or bare or cast iron gray]. Old NASA trick for heat ablation, white paint.

The asymetrical collectors is not usual. Is your rig manual or auto? Might be some workaround for a clutch z-bar. Starter clearance?

Maybe some of the Forum's leading header experts can tell you the maker, style, best application, part number and even day of manufacture on your wild headers, but without pictures, we're just guessing.

Every 25 years I like to rebuild that 292, whether it needs it or not.
'68OrangeSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote