The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-11-2017, 03:34 PM   #26
James the III

Re: '93 350 into '68 C10 what to expect question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinysideup View Post
No cam you recommend then huh? A cam that peaks at 4500, hmmm sounds just like the .450 lift stocker LOL

The voodoo makes more power than any smaller cam at this low rpm and definetely more power say above 3k, so unless building a "revver" engine it seems to me the best it CAN be. Yes obviously big power is made higher you go but remember intended use. Point being to make it better you would have to upgrade everything(heads ,cam,pistons,intake etc) and have different operating parameters when said and done. More $ spent and a less streetable machine. Im trying to pep it up on a budget and keep the manners and usability.
I like talking this out(seriously) cuz I want the best it can be.
Whatever you say..
James the III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 03:14 PM   #27
kd6tas

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptRMW View Post
While everyone is pondering roller cam and best heads to use. A 350 with 350 horsepower won't pull the hat off your head with those 3.08 gears and a 3 speed transmission.
That's not true. I have a '68 C10 long fleet with a California smog 350; lucky if it's 250 horsepower (I added bolt-on breathing parts and HEI). I changed it to 3.08 from 3.73. If you keep in mind that it's a half-ton truck it's okay. That means you, the stuff in the back, the shell, and the tongue load all need to add up to no more than 1000 pounds. It adds up fast. 3.73 works better if you're overloading it regularly, but as a street truck that's empty most of the time 3.08 is a fine choice. I certainly don't want to go back. Another mistake would be to over cam the new engine (we're talking '93 - '95 flat tappet, swirl head truck engines, not LT1, not Vortec heads).
kd6tas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 03:57 PM   #28
Racer382D

]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptRMW View Post
While everyone is pondering roller cam and best heads to use. A 350 with 350 horsepower won't pull the hat off your head with those 3.08 gears and a 3 speed transmission.
Man, I must have been doing it wrong.... this was a 300hp. Engine (true 300hp) with a 3 speed and 3.08's.... and it would outrun most stock mustangs at will.
You must wear your hat too tight lol

https://youtu.be/jSPq49iZ_JU
Racer382D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 04:09 PM   #29
kd6tas

Quote:
Originally Posted by James the III View Post
Whatever you say..
I agree with James here. I looked into it. The '93 - '95 truck engine heads have intake port restriction to create the high swirl. The valve springs are not for high RPM or high lift. I too considered the Lunati Voodoo cam. However, in the end I decided against it. A budget rebuild for a daily driver street truck is best with something that works with the RPM range and stock valve train (and is cheap). I was looking through rebuild kits on eBay when I found one that had multiple cam choices. I did some specification comparisons and found the stage 1 cam in one of the kits was a clone of the 300 horse 327 cam (3896929). The more research I did the more I liked it. The Crane number is: 968711. Here's a link to a page with some specs: http://bit.ly/2likB5b Check out the RPM range; it's perfect for the stock heads and springs. Here's a link to a handy factory cam spec page: http://bit.ly/2l91qZp

I have to admit that when my brother told me he found a '93 350 for free I had visions of Vortec heads and a roller cam. With enough research that bubble popped. And while all that can be done, it's no longer a budget rebuild to replace the tired 70's California smog motor that's in it now. A $300 rebuild kit that includes pistons and the 3896929 cam will be fine. I'll be happiest if this results in improved fuel economy. There's really nowhere to go but up from the 350 that's in it now.

Last edited by kd6tas; 02-15-2017 at 04:11 PM. Reason: Icon in the wrong place
kd6tas is offline   Reply With Quote