The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-17-2017, 07:28 PM   #16
1774btcrew

Re: I'm rebuilding my Hickey Sidewinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatzie View Post
I've repaired back gears on lathes that looked like that after Bubba removed a stuck thread on chuck with a hammer by locking the back gear in without releasing the bull gear pin. He destroyed a pretty decent Skinner four jaw chuck too. I started by building up the damaged area with Nickel rod and then annealed the weld. The easy part was cutting round on the lathe, and re-cutting the teeth with a single point cutter and rotary table with indexing plates on a horizontal milling machine.
I have a buddy that repaired a starter ring gear ona D7 Bulldozer by welding up the missing teeth and grinding them back to profile with a Dremel and files. If you don't have lots of patience and very steady hands don't try that one at home kids.... Shaking my head.

I've seen lathe and milling machine back gears brazed back up with set screw cores and silicon bronze rod then machined back into shape. They were only missing parts of a few teeth not an entire section of gear like my lathe and that winch gear.

I think there are enough of us that need these gears that someone should make them. I can't help but think CNCed aluminum would be better than these cast aluminum pieces. It is a shame to have such a cool item that can't be used.

1972 Cheyenne Super Short Bed big block "Blackie"
1977 Crew Cab GMC Short bed with 4BT Intercooled Cummins Diesel and a 4L80e "The Junkyard Dog"
1985 Crew Cab Chevy dually with 5.9 Cummins "The Big Dog" This is what my dad liked to be called by the grandkids before he passed so it seems fitting for his old truck.
1774btcrew is offline   Reply With Quote