The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-19-2017, 01:22 PM   #1
TerryDean

1971 Custom Camper Wiring

I bought a 1971 Custom Camper which turned out to be more screwy than expected. I'm still recovering from an ignition harness fire and the wiring diagrams here were extremely helpful. The thing is the "custom" part apparently means "no specific documentation". I have a red wire under the drver side battery tray not mentioned in what looks like some sort of filament fuse? It's a black (melted) wire solidly connected in series with the red wire with both ends attached to the red in a plastic cover not attached to annything. Any ideas what this thing is and what I should put back in there, i.e. a fuse or just a connector? Any help appreciated. I will figure out how to post a picture later.
TerryDean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 03:53 AM   #2
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Re: 1971 Custom Camper Wiring

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryDean View Post
I bought a 1971 Custom Camper which turned out to be more screwy than expected. I'm still recovering from an ignition harness fire and the wiring diagrams here were extremely helpful. The thing is the "custom" part apparently means "no specific documentation". I have a red wire under the drver side battery tray not mentioned in what looks like some sort of filament fuse? It's a black (melted) wire solidly connected in series with the red wire with both ends attached to the red in a plastic cover not attached to annything. Any ideas what this thing is and what I should put back in there, i.e. a fuse or just a connector? Any help appreciated. I will figure out how to post a picture later.

Welcome to the board Terry....

The Custom designation doesn't have any special meaning when it comes to wiring. The under hood wiring is pretty much the same for all of the '67-'72 trucks unless they have A/C or smog equipment. Some of the camper packages had a special camper wire loom, but it was tied into the brake and tail light wire loom at the firewall and an aux battery that was located on the drivers side of the core support.. As far as the red wire, it sounds like it might be something that someone has added. Pictures would help for sure. There is a black wire on each side of the core support that has a 4 amp fuse in it but that is for the amp gauge.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote