The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-22-2017, 08:45 PM   #1
Mgicm

trying to lower with ez chassis s10 kit

Picked up a 50 3100 half ton on s10. has ez chassis kit. there are dropped spindles on front and what looks to be a block kit on the back. the block looks HUGE like 4 inches.

Some stupid questions.

Is the bigger the block on the rear the more of the drop or the other way around?

It seems the ez chassis kit stands the cab a bit off the frame. I think there are two options when buying the kit. Not sure which this one has but it sure seems to stand off the frame a bit.

how can i the body lower than it is now?

thanks!
Mgicm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 09:50 PM   #2
joedoh

Re: trying to lower with ez chassis s10 kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgicm View Post
Picked up a 50 3100 half ton on s10. has ez chassis kit. there are dropped spindles on front and what looks to be a block kit on the back. the block looks HUGE like 4 inches.

Some stupid questions.

Is the bigger the block on the rear the more of the drop or the other way around?

It seems the ez chassis kit stands the cab a bit off the frame. I think there are two options when buying the kit. Not sure which this one has but it sure seems to stand off the frame a bit.

how can i the body lower than it is now?

thanks!

if the bottom of the running boards are even with the bottom of the frame, you have the "tall" mounts. if the bottom of the running boards are lower than the bottom of the frame, those are the short mounts.

I am going to guess you have the tall mounts because with a 4 inch block and drop spindles on the short mounts, the running boards will only be about 5 inches off the ground, low by anyones standards.

if you have the tall mounts you could section them and take out the extra 3 inches BUT, most people buy the tall mounts because you can use a stock cab floor and stock bed floor. if you shorten the mounts, the transmission will need a hump in the floor and the bed floor will need to be raised an inch or two.

there are lots of ways to lower the s10, but at the limit (frame on the ground) there are all kinds of special parts needed like tubular (or modified stock) control arms, notches in the frame for the tie rods, and a notch in the frame for the rear axle. you can lower your s10 chassis more with drop leaf springs in the rear and drop coil springs in the front. you will need a small c notch in the rear frame and to "dehump" the stock lower arms where they hit the frame. you will want stiffer, shorter, shocks and you will likely need to shorten the sway bar end link. if you choose to go with air suspension, keep in mind you will still need most of the extra work.

If it were me, I would trim the body mounts and deal with the floors. S10 suspensions at the limit of drop do weird things like pull the wheel back in the wheelarch and the toe gets wonky. that extra 2-3 inches of the running boards being lower than the frame make a HUGE difference in ride and suspension travel. even the most basic air bag kit will allow the running boards to be close to or even on the ground with very very little modification to the suspension needed.

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 12:36 AM   #3
trucktech

Re: trying to lower with ez chassis s10 kit

I have an ez chassis kit on my truck. I got it with the lower body mounts. My rear has a 3" block and my torsion bars are turned loose. my frame at the lowest point rides 9" off the ground and my body fit snugly against the frame. If you want the body closer to the frame you will be modifying the whole cab floor. If you want the frame any closer to the ground you will have to get different springs or a 4 link.
trucktech is offline   Reply With Quote