The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-25-2017, 04:07 PM   #1
mattstoc

72 Locking Hub and Grease

All,

I am well into replacing the rotors and wheel bearings on my 72 Jimmy with locking front hubs. I have three questions:
  1. Inside the hub, the space between the inner and outer bearings WAS packed with grease. This seems wrong to me (and a real mess), I have not seen that called out anywhere, but thought I would check. I assume I just grease the bearings.
  2. What stops grease from migrating out of the bearings into that void?
  3. Should I put a film of grease on the cogs/gears that allow the axle to lock to the hub?

Thanks in advance
mattstoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 06:50 PM   #2
A1971Blazer

Re: 72 Locking Hub and Grease

There should be a significant amount of grease in there...when it all heats up the grease thins out and permeates into the bearings....don't skimp on the grease....

by all means...put some grease on the locking hub splines...make sure it moves in and out freely before you close it all back up....
1972 Chevrolet K/5 Blazer
A1971Blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 10:52 AM   #3
mattstoc

mattstoc

All,

I thought some additional pictures would be good for a 72 Jimmy Dana 44 locking hubs.

This first picture is a close up of the outer retaining ring and the inner snap ring. Once the two rings are removed, the cam and screw plate pull out. The cog gears are then supposed to come out. It took a little massaging back and forth to get the cog to come out.

The remaining pictures show what is going on inside the hub. I took these after I cleaned up and just prior to re-assembly. I took this to show how the spindle nut, locking washer (my term), and the outer spindle nut work. It is hard to see this with the hub in place.

This first picture shows the spindle hub nut. This is what "pre-loads" the bearings. My book said 50 foot lbs torque, then back of less than 90 degrees. Note the "pin"/"nub" is pointing out.

Then the keyed washer with holes. Make sure the key lines up with the shaft and that the pin/nub on the spindle hub nut.

The important part is that the locking washer fits completely flat against the spindle hub nut. See below.

Then, lock the whole thing down with the outer locking spindle nut (the one without the "pin/nub"). My book said 50 foot lbs for the outer locking spindle nut. I have read where people said it should be 75-100. I set mine to 50; if my wheel falls off, I will amend this post.
mattstoc is offline   Reply With Quote