The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-01-2004, 01:29 PM   #1
Trucks
Is that a Chevy 69...?

heard of "fuel max"

Saw this ad online and wonder if anyones used it? Is it for real?

FUEL MAX

Amazing device increases mileage up to 20%. Installs in seconds. The revolutionary FuelMax(r) helps fuel burn better using scientifically-designed super conductors. Just snap this amazing magnetic device over your fuel feed line and it immediately begins breaking the hydrocarbon chains in your fuel into smaller pieces, letting it burn cleaner and more completely. You instantly get increased efficiency and higher performance resulting in less fuelused and lower cost. Plus it extends engine life and dramatically reduces pollution by burning off your engine's built-up carbon and varnish deposits. Works on carburetor and fuel injection engines. Manufacturer's unconditional money back guarantee if not completely satisfied.
Old 04-01-2004, 02:29 PM   #2
Chevy67Tk

Would you like to by the Brooklyn Bridge also, bargain basement price, for a limited time today only.

OK in all seriousness there are some good theories behind that thing but will need a chemical engineer to explain them to us, and hopefully in layman’s terms. I think it is one of the many products that might work well in a controlled type environment but in the real world there are just to many variables. One of the things that makes me wonder about the validity of it, if it is so great why are the car manufactures not using it. Higher MPG is a selling point and cleaner running engines would help keep the EPA happy. Some times you never know what product will be a big hit and what will flop.

It your money you have to weigh how much you stand to loose or gain, who knows this could be the next best thing to sliced bread.

Ok enough rambling I have to go untangle my pocket fisherman, now if I could only find that Ginsue(sp?) knife to cut the line with.
Old 04-01-2004, 03:57 PM   #3
Sweet72

What a load of crap!
I agree with Chevy67Tk. Magnet around your fuel feed line? How about that little device they used to claim stopped your vehicle from rusting by interfering with the electron flow in the electrolyte, what a big seller that was. I'm sure They'll baffle somone with their bull$...
'72 GMC SWB C1500 Custom, frame-off in progress. 383 SBC, 9:1CR, Comp Cams XE262H, Scat internal balanced crank, Eagle SIR 6" rods, Keith Black dish pistons, Dart Iron Eagle 72/180 heads, Weiand Stealth intake, Stewart stage I water pump, Holley 4bbl vac sec, TH350 with B&M Shift Improver Kit. 12 bolt positraction.
Sweet72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2004, 04:40 PM   #4
67Fleetsidedream
Wiseass secured himself a BAN

It takes more than just a magnetic field to change the molecular characteristics of fuel.
67Fleetsidedream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2004, 05:06 PM   #5
RON WOODGEARD
Resident Young Old Dude !

They have had the Magnet on the fuel line since I remember in the late 50s, Do they work?? I knew people who swore by them.. I never tried one myself !

What about the 50 to 150 mile per gallon carb. fix they sold in the classifieds of magazines for years,,, I never knew anyone who tried one of them, Urban Legion has it, That the Gas companies would buy up all of the patents on them... Did they really exist, that worked??
RON WOODGEARD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2004, 08:52 PM   #6
Trucks
Is that a Chevy 69...?

Thats about what I expected, same with the thing that goes in your air cleaner and like a fan spins the air to mix with the fuel better.
They say up to 27% gain, but up to could mean .5 percent and you get that when the wind aint blowin!
Thanks for all your input.
Old 04-01-2004, 09:23 PM   #7
walker

They sell the same thing to put over your water line to "break the molecular bonds of the hard water minerals"
I do know for a fact, though that if you buy one and put it in your wallet it will save you tons of money! Your credit cards will no longer work
'48 Ford 8N tractor(still working)
'67 Scout(Now on the road)
'70 MG B.-sold
walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2004, 09:34 PM   #8
cdowns

and while your at it get the carb spacer with the turbines in it and the intake manifold gaskets with the atomizeing screens and then take a ride in your truck and you actually have more gas than when you started
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2004, 10:18 PM   #9
botboy
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally posted by RON WOODGEARD
They have had the Magnet on the fuel line since I remember in the late 50s, Do they work?? I knew people who swore by them.. I never tried one myself !

What about the 50 to 150 mile per gallon carb. fix they sold in the classifieds of magazines for years,,, I never knew anyone who tried one of them, Urban Legion has it, That the Gas companies would buy up all of the patents on them... Did they really exist, that worked??
Charles Pogue, Inventor of the Pogue carburetor, did actually create a workable invention. He drove a V8 powered model A across the country averaging in excess of 150 MPG.

HOWEVER, since pogue's time, gas formulas have changed drastically. In pogues time, light a match 10 feet from a dish of open gas and in a few seconds it would cause it to burst into flame. Pogues carburetor worked on theories of catylitic cracking (no I'm not making this up). By making the carb draw the atomized air/fuel mix thru a long length of channels, it could be tuned very lean without detonation. This is because LIQUID GAS DOESN'T BURN! Anyone who has ever had a flooded engine knows this. A correctly running engine is running lean enough that before the air/fuel mixture is compressed, enough of the gas evaporates into vapor that the vapor ignites the droplet when the spark plug goes off. Pogues carb would have almost nothing but vapor and air pulled into the intake and cylinders, but modern fuel mixtures will not do this much evaporation, and are chemically inhibited from doing so.

It is important to note that cars that run exclusively on gasoline vapors run cleaner and are more environmentally friendly than an identical car with identical engine running and tuned correctly on air/fuel mixture.

Water injection is one of the better ideas in making for better mileage. Once your engine is warmed up, tune the ECU lean and inject a little bit of water every few ms, and your mileage will increase by more than enough to justify the cost of the system (in a few thousand miles) and your engine will run cleaner and last longer (think steam cleaning). This seems very doable with the megasquirt system.

Cdowns - putting a screen between the carb and the intake isn't BS, it does increase the atomization of the air/fuel mixture. however most people don't also retune the carb leaner and thus won't see any increase in mileage. The venturi carb spacers are BS.
botboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2004, 10:37 PM   #10
Blue Beard

If installed correctly the magnets did make a difference, but ever so slight...
1956 Chev Bel Air
1977 Blazer 2WD For Sale $3000.00
1978 Blazer 2WD For Sale $7000.00
1978 Silverado
2005 Monte Carlo
Blue Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2004, 10:42 PM   #11
FRENCHBLUE72
PROJECT 7DEUCE

Sound's like something for mythbuster's!!!!

MEMBER #6377

72 k-5 daily driver 6'' lift 35'' 350-350-205 slowly getting rust free.

Project "7DEUCE"

check out my build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=267665

Tim Powell..R.I.P EastSideLowlife..... R.I.P..
FRENCHBLUE72 is offline   Reply With Quote