The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-01-2017, 11:22 PM   #1
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Shipping visors and wing widows question

You guys that sell a lot of stuff I'm curious how you ship visors, and complete wing window assemblies. I don't think they make a post office shipping box that works for either. And the wing window assemblies are really long and breakable.

I have a bunch of extras and am trying to decide if they are even worth selling with the possible weird shipping issues.
Old 03-01-2017, 11:29 PM   #2
too much stuff
Roadtrip!

Re: Shipping visors and wing widows question

Make sure the boxes are big enough to get plenty of padding. Over pack and charge for the shipping is all you can do. Shipping bigger items is getting tougher...
And check the local body shops for shipping boxes. If they don't have the one you need now, they will have soon.
70 4x4/BB/bkts/posi/tach(retired)
70 swb (wifes)
70 jimmy camper
71 K-5 factory 2wd
71 cheyenne 4x4/tach/posi/ plow rig
71 Cheyenne20 BB, buckets, tach, tilt, 4 speed
72 jimmy CST wyoming rig
72 jimmy Colorado rig
72 lifted texas 4x4 3/4 ton burb
65 fury conv. 383/auto
65 chrysler 300 "L" 413 auto
too much stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 01:57 AM   #3
CG
BlahBlahBlah

UPS or FedEx? Or maybe it doesn't matter. We have daily UPS pick up at our office. I should just package one up and get a quote to some address on the other side of the states to find my max shipping charges.

I was hoping there was some sort of premade shipping box that would work.
Old 03-02-2017, 05:09 AM   #4
GR8-68

Yes, shipping larger items is getting tougher and more expensive. I normally just find big boxes and cut them down to accommodate the size I need especially for items like vent windows. Finding the perfect box for odd items can be challenging otherwise. Fedex rates are sometimes a little better than ups but usps and ups are linked to the paypal account plus it gives a discount so I have been using paypal to create a shipment through ups. Unless it is a small item I normally just get a quote for interested parties as shipping can greatly change from one area to the next.

It is easily overlooked that what is now called vintage was once brand new.

"Project 68"

paypal.me/ldgrant
GR8-68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 08:58 AM   #5
special-K
Special Order

For the visors go to USPS.com and order "game board boxes", it's free. My P.O. doesn't keep these, so I ordered a box full.

The wing vents are another story. Too big for their boxes and much better protection involved. I sent some to a member, but don't recall exactly what I did. I would want the most rigid package as possible, plenty of padding, and protect one from the other between.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 01:32 AM   #6
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Ill check out the game boxes. Ill tell ya though for all the hassle of shipping stuff I just don't know if its worth messing with. On the flip side when you drag the stuff to the swap meets you don't get crap for anything. I think I sold eight pretty decent tailgates at the last swap meet for a hundred bucks each. Heck I see crappy tailgates sell for way more than that here on the board. But that's all anyone was willing to pay.

I didn't acquire all this extra stuff to try and sell anyway, I just wanted to be able to pick a and chose some stuff and let some of my buddies do the same. I ended up using way less of it than I thought I would. Oh well haha.
Old 03-03-2017, 06:49 AM   #7
special-K
Special Order

I find people at swap meets are mostly just "trying" to beat you down. If you have something nice and shoot them down straight away, I find if they really want it they will pay your price. You need to have the attitude they aren't the only one who will want that part...and say that to them if they persist with low-balling. You have what they need. Many beat you down so they can make all the money reselling. F that!

I was selling antique Tonkas at Hershey last fall. I had these two guys trying to beat me up and I held my ground. I mean they were persistent, and smiling all the time like they were my buddy. They even said, "We sell on Ebay and can't make any money at that amount". Is that my problem? I told them, "Well I guess I'll have to be the one selling on Ebay if no one buys them here". They bought two for a slight discount (my discount) and left. When they came back hoping to buy the others, I had already sold them and gotten my price. These type of buyers are predatory and you are their pray. Stand tough and they go look for easier pray.

I have bought many things at swap meets for crazy cheap that I could make money off of. That is because there are sellers who really don't know values or just want it gone. I pay their price. If the price is about right or high, I buy the part because I need it. When it's crazy cheap, I buy because I know I can't go wrong. I sell parts for reasonable because I see myself as helping others out as much as making a buck. When those predators come around I don't help them. I will ask what they are putting it on and often they'll say they are reselling, like that's what a swap meet is for. If a part is worth $100 on Ebay it's worth that at a swap meet...or more! Takes a lot more to be there than to poke a few buttons , sit back, and wait. And there's no shipping cost at a swap meet. You spent that money on a space and lost time from work

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
Old 03-03-2017, 09:27 AM   #8
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
I was selling antique Tonkas at Hershey last fall. I had these two guys trying to beat me up and I held my ground. I mean they were persistent, and smiling all the time like they were my buddy. They even said, "We sell on Ebay and can't make any money at that amount". Is that my problem?

I finally started to clean up that fan guard. I got the holes filled in and started sanding that crappy gray paint off.

Yes, shipping has gotten stupid. I've actually sold about $2,500 in stuff I had laying around from My S10 and old Z71 that are gone now, and left over stuff from all the conversions I've done to my Mustang. For every $100 in parts I sell on ebay, I typically only end up with about $55-65 after fees and shipping just to get rid of most of it, but I just can't seem to sell any of it locally. Only about 1/4 has sold locally. I shipped a column recently and it wasn't even very far, $35. I would expect $35-40+ shipping. I also think you'll do fine, it seems decent pairs are selling for $125-150 on the forum, and they sell fairly quick because the rumor is the aftermarket ones suck.
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!

Last edited by 67ChevyRedneck; 03-03-2017 at 09:39 AM.
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 10:53 PM   #9
special-K
Special Order

That wasn't paint, that was roof coating

Tim

Old 03-04-2017, 12:35 AM   #10
randy500
Account Suspended

I have shipped wing windows 5 or 6 times, most of those times I used a large piece of cardboard and made a box, I laid it out with a felt pen then cut and bent it. Sometimes in 2 pieces then taped it together, its kind of time consuming, about 45 minutes minimum. Shipping cost is about 25 for one and 35 for 2 through UPS. Pack them facing each other with the part at the bottom that sticks out overlapping each other, the killer on shipping cost can be the overall size so size the box as close as possible. The last time I shipped a pair I had a rear bumper box, heavy duty, long and thin, cut down it was almost the perfect size.
randy500 is offline   Reply With Quote