The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-03-2017, 07:32 PM   #1
STRUTYOURSTUFF

65 c10 Directionals

Well I'm back. Still having problems with the directional lights. Here is what i have done. Had no parking/directional light. Wired new ones per wiring diagram. I now have Tail lights, Parking lights, Brake lights. Changed out flasher. Traced problem to the turn signal switch. Replaced turn signal switch. After replacing t/s switch had left turn signal but when switched to right turn had rear turn signal but no front. Also noticed Gen light flashing. Eventually it stopped all together. Checked power at switch noticed no power from blue wire in switch. Faulty switch? Flasher toast.Summit racing kind enough to send me a new one. Replaced it today. Put original flasher back in. Have left turn signal, When right signal is turned on both rear lightly flashed along with Gen light. Put the test light on T/S switch. Good power To the left T/s wires but to the right test light very low. Could this be just the flasher again? Flasher seemed very warm.Don't have a problem getting a new one just feel as I'm chasing a gremlin. Yes I have grounded Front parking light housings along with Tail Light housings and bed to frame. Any (useful) advice would be greatly appreciated. Sorry so long.
STRUTYOURSTUFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 07:55 PM   #2
63burban
Chevy addict

Re: 65 c10 Directionals

Tail light housings need to be grounded to the frame.
63burban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 09:35 PM   #3
STRUTYOURSTUFF

Thanks 63 I'll give that a try. I have them grounded to the body right now, Hope this works. Thank You for your advice I really appreciate all you guys on this site!
Old 03-04-2017, 11:01 PM   #4
STRUTYOURSTUFF

Ok heres where I'm at. Ran 10g grounds from each tail light to frame and installed a new flasher. Still having the same problem. I perfectly working left turn signal but not the right one. Put test light on according wires in harness and get a very low test light. Checked wire to horn just for sh and giggles. When right turn signal is activated it flashes. Also noticed that when the right turn signal is activated seems like flasher speeds up but no lights to either front or rear turn signals. HELPPPPPPPP! For the life of me can't figure this out. Thanks in advance
Old 03-05-2017, 12:53 AM   #5
ray_mcavoy

A low voltage reading (or a dim test light) is usually an indication of a weak (high resistance) connection somewhere in the circuit between the source and the test point. It could be anything from a loose or corroded connector to a bad set of switch contacts. Or, considering the test light blinking when attached to the horn wire, you could also be dealing with a short between a couple circuits.

I know you have already replaced the turn signal switch, but you can double check to see if the new switch is defective or not by unplugging it and using a jumper wire to simulate the switch's function. Do that by making the following temporary jumper wire connections (on the truck half of the connector) and checking to see that they illuminate the corresponding bulbs:

-Jumper purple wire to light blue wire should light up the left front turn signal & left indicator on the dash.
-Jumper purple to dark blue should light up the right front turn signal & right indicator on the dash.
-Jumper purple to yellow should light up the left rear turn signal.
-Jumper purple to dark green should light up the right rear turn signal.

If the lights work as described using the jumper wire then the turn signal switch is at fault. But if they still don't work correctly, the problem is elsewhere.

Note, the wire colors listed above are for stock 65 wiring. Also note that using the jumper wire to only power the front or rear lights (not both together) might not draw enough current to activate the flasher. So the lights might remain steadily lit instead of flashing but that is okay for this test.

Last edited by ray_mcavoy; 03-05-2017 at 01:00 AM.
ray_mcavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 08:41 AM   #6
STRUTYOURSTUFF

Ray Thanks so much for the info. I am working today. Can't wait to get home and run the suggested test. I am off tomorrow so I'll have all day! Love working on this truck. If you have any other suggestions would love to hear them. Thanks again brother. This site and the people here are awesome!
Old 03-05-2017, 02:18 PM   #7
shp4man

Check the wiring connectors at the firewall. They get partially pulled apart sometimes.
Old 03-09-2017, 07:03 PM   #8
STRUTYOURSTUFF

Finally got it figured out. Kind of feeling foolish but I guess we all have been there. It turned out to be when I ran the new wire from the fire wall plug through the hood braces out to the turn signals , I pinched the dark blue wire leading to the right turn signal while tightening down the brace causing it to ground out to the hood. Geez I feel so stupid never thought it could be possibly there! Guys thanks again for all the suggestions and support in my time of crisis.
Old 03-09-2017, 10:29 PM   #9
GMDad

Glad it was an easy fix. Type of problem you can chase and chase.
GMDad is offline   Reply With Quote