The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-13-2017, 02:55 AM   #1
JQ-72

The Atlanta built Highlander "Special Promotional" delimma

I've been looking through several of the Highlander threads and appreciate all the work that some members have put in to it. However, there's a mystery that I'm trying to figure out. Did the Lakewood assembly plant in Atlanta, GA produce a promotional package (YG6,YG7,YG8)? I have scoured all the pictures on this board and have a few pictures of local trucks, and have yet to see anything but "color" plaid bnch trim, no Special Promotional. I have pictures of at least 10 SPIDS ranging from April to June that have every single option that a Package "C" promo truck would have, yet no "YG" on SPID. Thoughts?
72 Cheyenne Super K-10. 350/4 spd., posi.
72 Suburban 350/350 tilt, tach, AM/FM, A/C, luggage rack
72 GMC Sierra lwb. 350/350, A/C. medium green/olive interior
JQ-72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 09:02 AM   #2
jocko

Re: The Atlanta built Highlander "Special Promotional" delimma

Good question. All the options could be ordered separately on a NON-promo package plaid trim truck. But, having said that, I don't recall seeing any promo package trucks from Atl either - SSTim would be the guy to save the day on this one - if there's an Atl YG truck out there, he's the most likely to have its SPID. I'll power up the bat signal (conspicuously shaped like a bow tie).
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 10:28 AM   #3
JQ-72

Thanks Jocko. I agree that options could be ordered separately on non-promo trucks, but you have to admit it does seem strange that the trucks from Apr-June I referred to have all the "C" package stuff (below eyeline, upper trim, chrome bumper, door edge, PA1s, AC and tilt). What are the odds?
Old 03-13-2017, 03:44 PM   #4
SS Tim

Actually, Joshua and I had already discussed this at length on the phone.

While I agree Atlanta assembly did not seem to SPID code any Highlanders as YG6-8, they surely made some Promo Package trucks. As pointed out, there are many known Highlanders from Atlanta with all the package included options.

As to why it's not coded, I have no answer. But the fact is, it was a sales marketing code and clearly redundent on the SPID. Since the package code in itself did not represent a content change, there was no need for it. Every package truck line item lists, on the SPID, the individual bundled options.

The Plaid trim codes remain the same between package and Promo coded SPIDs for a given model. Trying to infer differences from the trim code descriptions is pointless other than showing individual internal plant and timeline variations. Each and every Highlander trim code (all twelve) was a fixed specific special color combination and content for a given model. About the only true option driven difference between Highlanders was the carpet high or low tunnel, automatic or manual and, in the case of Blazers, 4x2 or 4x4.

As I see it, the only way to find if a given Atlanta Highlander was promotion priced would be to see it's invoice and/or Scheduled Price Sheet. Possibly a shipper or build sheet would reflect the sales marketing package, but likely not.

In the end, does it matter if the original purchaser spent a little more or less for a given option content? They are all true Highlanders! :-)
SS Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 04:34 AM   #5
JQ-72

The master has spoken! Thanks for your input Tim. I did some research after we talked and could not find a SPID anywhere with YG code from Atlanta. Just trying to figure it all out!
JQ
Old 03-14-2017, 07:41 AM   #6
special-K
Special Order

Those of you who like to dig deep in this stuff the factory did or might have done have seen plenty of SPID label variations, as far as differences in how an item or items were listed plant to plant. Couldn't it be that these are no different than any other, only Atlanta didn't type the promo package for whatever reason we can only guess?

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 07:43 AM   #7
Keith Seymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
Those of you who like to dig deep in this stuff the factory did or might have done have seen plenty of SPID label variations, as far as differences in how an item or items were listed plant to plant. Couldn't it be that these are no different than any other, only Atlanta didn't type the promo package for whatever reason we can only guess?
Yes.

K
1986 - 2019
Intro from an Old Assembly Guy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
My Pontiac story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
Chevelle intro: http://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
Keith Seymore is offline   Reply With Quote