The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-14-2017, 10:45 AM   #1
cooperhw

difference between 4 and 2 wheel drive frame

I have a question for you square body guys. What is the difference between a 4 wheel drive frame and a 2 wheel drive?
Reason I am asking; I have a 81 4wd 3/4ton truck that runs and drives. I keep it up at my cabin property in the mountains. Also ended up buying another 3/4ton truck minus motor and trans because it actually has a better body and it's the same factory color of yellow and white. A few years ago I bought a stripped shortbed 4wd frame with no axles, just fuel tanks connected.
To the point. I would like to build a 2wd pickup out of the short bed frame but don't need another 4wd. what has to be swapped from a 2wd frame to a 4wd frame? Or, would I be better off just shortening the 2 wheel drive frame already under the extra truck I have.
Oh yeah, I also have a square body suburban that I bought for the front and rear 2wd axles.
I have been over in the 67-72 and 60-66 forums and wanted to pick the brains of the guys who have done this type of swap before.
Any help would be appreciated.
My current ride.
Attached Images

cooperhw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 11:24 AM   #2
cooperhw

Re: difference between 4 and 2 wheel drive frame

Lastly, I also have access to a rear end and front crossmember from a 1/2ton pickup if needed (parts poor). How hard is it to shorten the bed? I am not afraid of cutting and welding. Check out my last build thread in the 67-72 project threads called "Meet Homer".
I just wanted to try and get some good input before I start down that path of building a lowered 1/2 ton short bed.
Old 03-14-2017, 05:24 PM   #3
andyh1956

I can tell you about the frame, shortening a bed not so much.
OK the front cross member- it unbolts / rivets & you swap one for one, you need the engine mount perches also. You may depending on your frame have to drill holes for the idler arm.
The radiator supports are different but you can leave them if you don't mind the spring mount staying behind. You need a 2wd steering box. The rear spring hangers are longer so you need to swap them, they are riveted on. The rear axle pattern will be 6 stud if half ton & won't match the front.
Shortening the 2wd frame is the best idea you had. Gotta do a zee up under the cab to do it correctly.
I've done this multiple times, only the reverse of what you need, it's a LOT of work!
Good luck!
andyh1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 05:40 PM   #4
cooperhw

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyh1956 View Post
I can tell you about the frame, shortening a bed not so much.
OK the front cross member- it unbolts / rivets & you swap one for one, you need the engine mount perches also. You may depending on your frame have to drill holes for the idler arm.
The radiator supports are different but you can leave them if you don't mind the spring mount staying behind. You need a 2wd steering box. The rear spring hangers are longer so you need to swap them, they are riveted on. The rear axle pattern will be 6 stud if half ton & won't match the front.
Shortening the 2wd frame is the best idea you had. Gotta do a zee up under the cab to do it correctly.
I've done this multiple times, only the reverse of what you need, it's a LOT of work!
Good luck!
Thanks Andy. The 2wd frame I have is 3/4ton. I suppose I could rob the crossmember and rear end from the suburban I have. Just kinda thinking out loud right now. Still on the fence of building a square next or a 63GMC shortbed I already have. Kinda like the idea of a little more room between the seat and the steering wheel if you get my drift?
Old 03-14-2017, 05:54 PM   #5
andyh1956

Them tummys do grow with time!
Old 03-15-2017, 01:54 AM   #6
frank69

I've got 3 short 2wd frames if you don't want to cut one. I'm about 4 hrs from you in Laughlin. Frank 702 285 3912
frank69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 09:54 AM   #7
cooperhw

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyh1956 View Post
Them tummys do grow with time!
Yep. Slow down in the working part of life, eat a little better, add in some time, and look out hanna.
Old 03-15-2017, 12:01 PM   #8
68post

Oops..it happens
94 K1500 lifted shortbed 350 4 bbl NV4500
68post is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 01:23 PM   #9
andyh1956

Oh yeah one more option you have, that "Cowboy Caddy" body will fit on one of those LWB frames!