The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-24-2017, 04:00 PM   #26
88Stanger

Re: need efi reliability

I like a good running carb, but I really like Fitech EFI personally. Easy tune, auto adjust if you travel up and down in elevations....
88Stanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 05:32 PM   #27
TheRocket

Not only no, but HELL NO, never ever ever buy ANYTHING from F.A.S.T. Sorry product, sorrier customer service.
TheRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 05:35 PM   #28
i82much

When I buy an EFI product, I buy it on a new vehicle, OEM engineered. I spend every day on a laptop, that's the last place I want to spend time on my hobbies. There were plenty of times I smelled like gas getting my carburetor dialed in, but it beat the heck out of sitting in front of a computer.

I like old trucks because they are old trucks!
i82much is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 07:00 PM   #29
Ctimrun

I'm interested in hearing more about the Holley Sniper EFI system.
Ctimrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 07:09 PM   #30
52napco

The Fi Tech is decent but.......its made in China so if you have an issue no replacement parts at Auto zone and the base kit does not control spark. Also a frame mounted pump will not live!!! You have to get that pump submerged in gasoline!
The Howell kit is all over the counter stuff and a much better option IMOLA.
WIth all this said a quadrajet is the most reliable best running carb when tuned properly.
Time and time again people toss the quadrajet and put a new Edelbrock on which is the worst
Mistake you could ever make on our trucks.
52napco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 09:40 PM   #31
46stude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie Makeit View Post
we endured 10-12 (or less) mpg and less than desirable performance in comparison to the present alternatives.
Huh. My old '84 C10 w/ a 305/TH350/600 cfm Edelbrock got about 14 on average. My '01 Silverado w/ a 5.3/4L60e/EFI gets about 15 on average.
46stude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 10:06 PM   #32
HO455
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72chevyplow View Post
I just wanted to update this I had my carb rebuilt, and installed the newer hei distributor and the truck ran flawlessly all winter. started as good as most newer trucks, and kept my driveway open. Guess I overreacted to a simple problem.
Glad to hear you didn't have to spend $5000 to fix the problem. Thanks for the follow up posting.
If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 10:59 PM   #33
HO455
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie Makeit View Post
we endured 10-12 (or less) mpg and less than desirable performance in comparison to the present alternatives.
The improvements in performance and efficiency we enjoy today can only be attributed to EFI so much. Today's engines enjoy a far higher level of quality control and the engineering that has gone into the combustion process is truly light years ahead of GMs engines of the sixties. When the only concerns were, will it last through the warranty period and how much money will we make. When it comes right down to it an engine that is up to temperature with a sophisticated carburetor like a Quadrajet will get the job done. CAFE related issues like, the manufacturer being liable to ensure the vehicle meets emission standards throughout the warranty period, cold startup emissions and fuel evaporation were things that killed the carburetor. Not its ability to meter fuel correctly. And if you look into it closely you will see that most of the gains in MPG over the last decade have to do with transmission technology and the marriage of the engine to the transmission. Don't get me wrong I realize that 500 HP V6 turbo engines on daily drivers were impossible not that long ago and I am impressed that any one can go down a get 600 plus HP vehicle if they want and drive it to work in stop and go traffic. But those engines are not in the same category as a LT or early LS swap. In my world a carbed 2000 LS1 swapped in is an easy and affordable way to go. Add an overdrive tranny and enjoy life. (And don't forget to install the wide band O2 guage. I'm not a complete caveman)
If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 07:29 AM   #34
52napco

The above post is spot on however......the quadrajet carbs I've had restored by Bob Stone are great ,pump the gas 2 times on cold start and they never miss a beat. With this said tuning an engine with a carb and points is fast becoming a lost art and there are few that can actually do this. My 21 year old son was in awe when I blew the dust off my Snap On dwell meter last year and when I pulled the distributor out to and moved it a tooth when the vacuum advance
Was hitting the intake he was in shock. He's grown up around my LS Swapped datsuns and camaros and had only watched us tune them with a laptop and HP Tuners lol.
My point being as older guys like myself and Bob stone die off our hobby is in trouble.
52napco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 08:42 AM   #35
i82much

well keep kicking then will ya?
i82much is offline   Reply With Quote