The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-17-2017, 12:59 PM   #1
Cris

63 Turn Signal Removal

I read the previous threads on turn signals but am having a problem with the last step, removing the return/switch mechanism. The steering wheel is off and I have removed the three screws that hold the mechanism. It is now loose, but I cannot remove it. It feels like wires are holding it in.

Does the steering wire harness plug into the mechanism?

Is it just a matter of feeding enough wire at the bottom of the column until you can pull out the mechanism and release the connector? Does the connector have a lock on it?

Before I went any further, I though I'd at least ask to see if someone has BTDT.

Also who makes the best replacement for the return/switch mechanism?

Thanks, Cris
Cris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 04:27 PM   #2
forestb

Re: 63 Turn Signal Removal

You probably need to remove the 2 screws that hold on the sleeve that is in between the dashboard and the part of the column that the turn signal mechanism is inside of. In my experience that is where the wires get pinched. I order to get the plug out though you will need to take the head off the column completely. I would get the acdelco brand if I were you. Once you get it make sure it matches the one you took out. there are some slight variations between years.
forestb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 05:11 PM   #3
Cris

I am starting to see the problem. The turn signal switch has a wire harness that goes to the connectors that sit under the dash? Here's a replacement part:

http://www.classicparts.com/1963-Tur.../#.WMw12dfyvDB

forestb, the under-dash connectors will not snake through the column. I have to disassemble the column to get the wires through?
Old 03-30-2017, 11:04 PM   #4
Cris

I thought I would follow up this thread after I finished the turn signal install on my 63 C10. Here's how I did it.

The turn signal mechanism on the 1963 includes a wiring harness with two mating connectors installed. The harness must be snaked through the column and the connectors mate under the dash. The connectors are too large to fit through the column. But, no need to disassemble the column. Here's the work around.

Remove the two hex headed screws underneath the column that hold the column cover. (This is a sheet metal "decorative" tube that covers the steering shaft and tube.) This gives you a little extra working room for sliding the wires through.

Next, remove the wires from the turn signal switch connectors. On these connectors, each wire has a spade terminal which is held into the connector body by a barb. You can see the barb by looking into the mating face of the connector. To release the barb, slide a small screwdriver in, depress the barb, and slide the terminal (and wire) out of the back of the connector body.

I then taped the ends of all the wires together in a tight, flat bundle. Then I fed a scrap piece of rigid wire through the column and taped it to the wire bundle. This was used to pull the wire bundle through the column.

Once the wires are through the column, simply reinsert them back into the connector bodies. You should hear a faint snap as the barbs engage. At this point reassemble all the parts in the order you removed them and you are back on the road.
Old 03-31-2017, 01:22 AM   #5
oem4me

Great info! Thanks for taking the time to post what you learned going through the process.
oem4me is offline   Reply With Quote