The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-11-2017, 10:17 AM   #1
flipper58

LS3 Connect and Cruise-AC mounting question

Need some input. I just got the LS3 Connect and Cruise for my 71. I purchased the Dirty Dingo slider engine mounts, which I now discovered will not work with the low mount Delco AC unit that came with the front drive assembly. Options as I see them are:

1) go with high mount AC bracket and (hopefully) use the Delco unit;

2) stick with low mount, but go with new Sanden compressor and mounting bracket that works with the DD mounts; or

3) use other adjustable engine mounts that work with the Delco AC unit.

Any input would be much appreciated, along with any other options.

Thanks,

Phil
flipper58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 11:19 AM   #2
darrellyates

Re: LS3 Connect and Cruise-AC mounting question

I've actually done both. I did a 5.3 swap and used the low mount factory (Denso) compressor on a 5.3 with Vintage Air for the rest of the build. Worked good, or so I thought.

My new truck has a 6.2 that came with the low mount compressor as well. According to Vintage Air, the factory compressor doesn't build as much pressure as the Sanden Compressor they recommend. When thinking back, the factory style compressor did work really well when moving, not so much at low speeds or around town. I used a high-mount relocation kit and the Sanden compressor from Vintage Air with the new build.

Either way will work. Depends on if you have a factory AC truck, or are using aftermarket AC. If going with aftermarket AC, use what they recommend. I would think you would have the same pressure issue with a new low-mount compressor and the original factory style condenser/evaporator, but I'm not an expert. You can get mounts to use any compressor you want with the serpentine belt set up.
darrellyates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 11:45 AM   #3
solidaxel

Dirtydingo mounts A/C & engine Sanden comp on my 78
factory evap and upgraded condenser for 134, it will get to 32* in the summer and a black truck toboot
Attached Images

53 TuTone Extended Cab 350 4-Spd 3:08 (SOLD)
53 Chevy Moldy pearl green ZZ-4 4L60E 9" 3:25
55 GMC 1st Black Mll (ZZ4) ZZ6 TKO 600 5 sp 3:73
62 Solidaxle Corvette Roman Red (327
340hp 4spd 3:36) C4 & C5 suspension tube chassis
LS 3 4L70E
65 Corvette Coupe 327 350hp 4spd 4:11
78 Black Silverado SWB (350/350) 5.3 & 4L60E 3:42
2000 S-Type 3.0 (wife cruiser)
2003 GMC SCSB 5.3 4L60E 3:42
solidaxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 03:33 PM   #4
flipper58

Thanks gents. Much appreciated. I had forgotten about the Vintage Air recommendation, which is what I will be installing. I am leaning toward the Dirty Dingo bracket and the Sanden compressor.
Phil
Old 04-11-2017, 03:39 PM   #5
darrellyates

Just one more comment.... Vintage Air sold me the bracket with compressor. It wasn't expensive, some plate aluminum and spacers. Easy to use, and came with the extra idler pulley. Likely the easiest way, not sure if it's the least expensive. Wish I could remember the name on the bracket, but the truck's up on the lift today. I got it from Vintage Air though. Works on LS1, 2 and 3 if memory serves me. Good Luck!!!
Old 04-11-2017, 03:44 PM   #6
darrellyates

I've posted this before, but here is a picture of the front of the engine prior to front end assembly...
Attached Images

Old 04-11-2017, 03:45 PM   #7
darrellyates

Just one more comment.... Vintage Air sold me the bracket with compressor. It wasn't expensive, some plate aluminum and spacers. Easy to use, and came with the extra idler pulley. Likely the easiest way, not sure if it's the least expensive. Wish I could remember the name on the bracket, but the truck's up on the lift today. I got it from Vintage Air though. Works on LS1, 2 and 3 if memory serves me. Good Luck!!!
Old 04-12-2017, 11:09 AM   #8
flipper58

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrellyates View Post
Thanks again and thanks for the photo. How do you like the high mount? Any issues with accessibility under the hood for other work, etc.? I think that is the route I will likely go as I would prefer to keep the DD sliders.
Old 04-12-2017, 11:11 AM   #9
flipper58

Quote:
Originally Posted by solidaxel View Post
Dirtydingo mounts A/C & engine Sanden comp on my 78
factory evap and upgraded condenser for 134, it will get to 32* in the summer and a black truck toboot
Same question for you on the high mount, Solid. Any issue with access with the high mount?
Old 04-12-2017, 11:17 AM   #10
darrellyates

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipper58 View Post
Thanks again and thanks for the photo. How do you like the high mount? Any issues with accessibility under the hood for other work, etc.? I think that is the route I will likely go as I would prefer to keep the DD sliders.
No problems with the high mount. Accessibility is great for hooking up the lines. Still trying to figure out what I'm going to do with the heater lines, I hate the look of the Vintage Air hot water controller... So I'm thinking about that.

But the high mount is out of the way of everything else. The mount I got lined up perfectly with the other pulleys, no complaints at all.

Thanks!
Old 04-12-2017, 11:38 AM   #11
cooperhw

I faced the same thing and used Dirty Dingo mounts that come with a new compressor. Best mounts/brackets I have ever used. Top shelf.

I know mine is on an El Camino, but same issue with the frame rail right where the compressor wants to live.
Attached Images

cooperhw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 12:35 PM   #12
solidaxel

No problem with the A/C brackets at all.
What I liked most was the slider motor mounts, as I was able to align up the driveshaft within 1/8" of the existing seal marks on the yoke. changed the trans linkage bracket and the shift rod was in the same position for the 4L60E, and clearance from the firewall to valve cover on PS
53 TuTone Extended Cab 350 4-Spd 3:08 (SOLD)
53 Chevy Moldy pearl green ZZ-4 4L60E 9" 3:25
55 GMC 1st Black Mll (ZZ4) ZZ6 TKO 600 5 sp 3:73
62 Solidaxle Corvette Roman Red (327
340hp 4spd 3:36) C4 & C5 suspension tube chassis
LS 3 4L70E
65 Corvette Coupe 327 350hp 4spd 4:11
78 Black Silverado SWB (350/350) 5.3 & 4L60E 3:42
2000 S-Type 3.0 (wife cruiser)
2003 GMC SCSB 5.3 4L60E 3:42
solidaxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 08:11 AM   #13
flipper58

Thanks again guys. I plan on going with the DD high mount and Sanden compressor.
Phil
Old 04-20-2017, 11:58 PM   #14
lownfast
Gettinlow & Goinfast

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrellyates View Post
I've actually done both. I did a 5.3 swap and used the low mount factory (Denso) compressor on a 5.3 with Vintage Air for the rest of the build. Worked good, or so I thought.

My new truck has a 6.2 that came with the low mount compressor as well. According to Vintage Air, the factory compressor doesn't build as much pressure as the Sanden Compressor they recommend. When thinking back, the factory style compressor did work really well when moving, not so much at low speeds or around town. I used a high-mount relocation kit and the Sanden compressor from Vintage Air with the new build.

Either way will work. Depends on if you have a factory AC truck, or are using aftermarket AC. If going with aftermarket AC, use what they recommend. I would think you would have the same pressure issue with a new low-mount compressor and the original factory style condenser/evaporator, but I'm not an expert. You can get mounts to use any compressor you want with the serpentine belt set up.

Just for future reference, loss of cool air why sitting still is usually caused by reduced air flow across the condenser. A good rule of thumb is 3000 cfm or higher of air flow for best results. I've used low mount delco compressors w/ vintage air, with great success after upping my cfm to this level.
70' Chevelle #EvilAnnie Lsx/4L80/S475 turbo-
85' C20 crew, 5.3/6L90/S475 turbo-
68' C10 5.3/4L60/Level 2 coil overs
Facebook- Protouringtexasdotcom
Instagram- @Protouringtexas
lownfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 01:27 PM   #15
davepl

Since you did the LS3 "Connect & Cruise" and I did the LS3 e-Rod, the next step down, they're similar setups. I wound up going Concept One, but am not running AC so I have a pulley in that location. I was clear that I'd like to be able to add AC in the future, so went with a setup that can accommodate that.
Attached Images

davepl is offline   Reply With Quote