The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-25-2017, 08:06 AM   #1
Pinchecharlie

When you fail to plan you plan to fail

Ok so I just jumped right in the deep end...
I ordered 2.5 dropped spindles (arrived)
3 inch drop springs (waiting)
Swaped 73-87 control arms and brakes (waiting for bushings)

Now I read you can't adjust camber with the stock a arms with this much drop?
Also that it may be dangerously low and grab manhole covers and what not?
Before I carry in, I wanted to ask if this combo is worth installing. I don't have any money in the control arms yet sI I could buy tubular uppers if they won't align? Also I don't think the 73-87 upper shafts are compatible with the 65 mounting studs and wonder if I can get new ones in without pulling the motor? Leaped before I looked! Any one with a similar experience help would be appreciated! Thanks Charlie
Pinchecharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 10:15 AM   #2
scoot_mcgrute

Re: When you fail to plan you plan to fail

Totally worth installing, gives it a real aggressive stance and it's very drivable. I still have a couple alignment shims to pull out if needed but you're really only doing a 3" drop on the suspension so I don't see any issues getting it aligned at all.

I paired the 5.5" front drop with a 7" rear drop and absolutely love it
Old 04-25-2017, 10:28 AM   #3
Pinchecharlie

Yeah I love your truck. I was just going through your build thread earlier. So 2.5 dropped spindles +3 inch dropped springs in front = 3 inch drop? I wish that I wasn't so punch drunk (former boxer with less than stellar record)
How high off the ground are your lower control arms?
I'll finish your build soon. You used a complete crossmember swap and iam trying to swap into old crossmember. I wish I had used the crossmember too but didn't want to pull everything. I guess I'll drive out the upper mount bolts/studs and replace with the 73-87 style. Can't imagine I can just get the convex washers off on the truck can I? Thanks I really like your truck and actually was trying to emulate it lol!
Old 04-25-2017, 10:41 AM   #4
raggedjim

No, you will still get 5.5 total drop but the suspension geometry will only change with the drop springs. The spindles will not change the geometry of the suspension.

I'm almost positive the 73 up arms will fit on the 65 crossmember studs, but I haven't had a 65 in years.

I see 5.5 drops the way you are doing more than any other and most have no problems. It does bring the frame and lower a-arm closer to the asphalt, but good springs and shocks should keep them off the road except in the most extreme situations (really rough railroad tracks, etc.)

Good luck, Rg

'68 Short step - https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=849675
'69 ('70?) 2wd Blazer
'70 GMC Jimmy 2wd
'73 Firebird - https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=853203

Last edited by raggedjim; 04-25-2017 at 10:51 AM.
raggedjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 12:01 PM   #5
Pinchecharlie

Just worried I'll run out of mounting stud/bolt when it's shimmed for excessive camber? The 65 has a shorter stud and a different washer set up that uses a flat control arm shaft. The 73-87 had a beveled control arm shaft? Iam attaching pictures so you can see. Ism sure it's either" just fine" or " you ran out of bolt". Just thought it would be easier to change while it's apart lol! Thanks
Attached Images

Old 04-25-2017, 12:14 PM   #6
PGSigns

When I did mine I swapped the studs for a new set of 73 and up and used all the washers and shims from the donor. That gave a bit longer stud and nice clean threads.
Jimmy
1966 BBW long fleet Daily driver
1965 BBW short fleet Sold and going to a good home
1965 Suburban
2003 3500 Duramax
2005 Ultra Classic
PGSigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 12:29 PM   #7
Pinchecharlie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGSigns View Post
When I did mine I swapped the studs for a new set of 73 and up and used all the washers and shims from the donor. That gave a bit longer stud and nice clean threads.
Jimmy
how much drama is it to get them in and out? i cant get a hammer on the inside fame rail with motor in. or you think i could pull them through with a the threads/nut and a sleevy kinda thing, hum... iam tourchless for awhile and think red hot is probably in order? thanks for the help everyone, i am a tireless skeptic and second guesser!
Old 04-25-2017, 12:32 PM   #8
scoot_mcgrute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinchecharlie View Post
Yeah I love your truck. I was just going through your build thread earlier. So 2.5 dropped spindles +3 inch dropped springs in front = 3 inch drop? I wish that I wasn't so punch drunk (former boxer with less than stellar record)
How high off the ground are your lower control arms?
I'll finish your build soon. You used a complete crossmember swap and iam trying to swap into old crossmember. I wish I had used the crossmember too but didn't want to pull everything. I guess I'll drive out the upper mount bolts/studs and replace with the 73-87 style. Can't imagine I can just get the convex washers off on the truck can I? Thanks I really like your truck and actually was trying to emulate it lol!
Thanks man!

Like stated above, you will get 5.5" of drop but the drop spindles simply move the pin up on the spindle so they don't affect the suspension or alignment at all.

I'll have to get a measurement for the control arms here shortly, it's currently on jack stands while I'm swapping the LS in it but I did have to buy a new jack to get under them so I'm guessing they are 3.5-4" off the ground.

I still have all the original 66 control arms and crossmember, I just added the CPP disc brake kit to my setup which gave me the 73-87 ball joints on the factory 66 control arms. You may need a couple other components to hook your steering and such up depending on what year the spindles are for.

I'm always down for talking trucks and helping out where I can
Old 04-25-2017, 05:28 PM   #9
aggie91
I'm just glad to be here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinchecharlie View Post
how much drama is it to get them in and out? i cant get a hammer on the inside fame rail with motor in. or you think i could pull them through with a the threads/nut and a sleevy kinda thing, hum... iam tourchless for awhile and think red hot is probably in order? thanks for the help everyone, i am a tireless skeptic and second guesser!
If you want to change the studs, they push through the clearance holes in the frame rails to get them out, then to seat the new ones, Just stack up some flat washers and use a 1/2-20 nut to pull them into place. No need to get a hammer in between the engine and the frame rail.

1965 Chevy Stepside(Grandpa's Old Blue) and (July 2015 Shop Build!)(2020, the Saga Continues)
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=372424

The LST Challenge:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post7812257

Korbin's 1st Square: "Sunburn"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=418618

1985 GMC Sierra: "White Trash", Korbin's 2nd now...
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=632305

Henry - 1984 Chevrolet, Owen's 1st Square
aggie91 is offline   Reply With Quote