The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-24-2017, 10:39 AM   #1
tewels

73 to 72 bucket brackets

I bought a set of 73 Blazer buckets and the drivers side is too tall for my 72.
Years back in an earlier thread, someone had a solution. Got a set of
reproduction brackets for the passenger side and they are fine.
Thats when I noticed that the Driver side was too tall. It is my
understanding that the rear of the brackets are the same height,
but the front is an inch taller. I need a pair of 72 P/S bucket brackets or a
way to modify mine. Thx.
....tewels
tewels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 07:38 PM   #2
tewels

Re: 73 to 72 bucket brackets

I figured out how to make the drivers side 73 bucket fit in a 72. I found an old bench seat and removed the front/lower bracket(second photo). I drilled out the 2 rivets holding the brackets in the tracks. In order to do that I had to drill one 5/16" hole, opposite the rivets in order to drill them out. Careful to remove the roller mechanism, remembering how the came out. The front bracket on a bench seat looks identical to the 73 front buckets, but they are 1" shorter. I was looking for 8" height in front and about 6" in back, to match my new passenger side fixed brackets. The left photo, top mount is the right side of a 73 driver side bucket, the middle mount is the left side of a bench seat bracket and the lower mount is my new bracket with the new lower front. Notice the hole that I drilled just above the front lower bracket, in order to drill out the 2 rivets. Photo on the right, after putting a 5/16 x 3/4 bolt with locknut facing down, then reinstalled the 3 piece roller mechanism with a liberal amount of grease then installed the front 5/16 x 1/2 bolt with locknut facing up. I made a mistake drilling my access hole to large(about 3/4) on the middle(rusty) mount. When the roller hits the hole it doesn't glide over the hole smoothly, when drilling into my good bucket mount I only went to 5/16....seems better. Hope this helps someone later.....
tewels
Attached Images

tewels is offline   Reply With Quote