The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-26-2017, 01:39 AM   #1
bigfunsixone

Basic Mod. Advice: Disc Brakes, Small Block, Etc.

Hey, total know-nothing about auto tech here.
Little backstory first, skip the first couple paragraphs if you want.
Got a '61 longbed fleetside C10 this summer. Wanted one for years, finally found a good deal on the year I wanted, got a bank loan, and got my truck. Love the thing. Figured this could be my gateway to wrenching on things. 236 I6, 5 speed manual with granny gear.
When I first got it, I thought I'd just keep it stock as possible and refurbish what I could afford to. Previous owner was a passionate young gearhead and did a ton of work on it. Rebuilt the engine and carb, new exhaust, new wiring harness, etcetera. Won't bore you with the details. Recently took it to my mechanic to get it a once-over and find out if I was an idiot for buying it. Happy to find out the frame is straight, no rust, and everything else is pretty damn good too.
He suggested I should save up and think about dropping a crate V8 in it, giving it some stance, front disc breaks, and some wider tires. I was content with my classic stock style, but now I can't get those mods out of my head. It would be badass. Especially the wider tires. Looks like a bodybuilder that skips leg day right now.
So my main questions are:
  • If I put a high horsepower (300-500) V8 in it, will I need a new transmission to handle it?
  • Will I also need a new rear axle and gearing to handle the extra power?
  • What do I need to change to get wider tires on it?
  • Brothers Trucks sells a front disc brake conversion kit with 2.5" drop spindles. Are such kits worth it or should I piece together higher quality parts?
If anybody took the time to actually read all that, I really appreciate it and I'd love some advice.
Thanks.
bigfunsixone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 07:08 AM   #2
PGSigns

Re: Basic Mod. Advice: Disc Brakes, Small Block, Etc.

There are lots of ways to get you the mods you want. A good small block with 300 hp will make the truck fun to drive and not kill a lot of parts. If you look into doing a motor swap think about putting a more modern trans in it. The first update anyone should do with these trucks is to split the brakes and get rid of the single pot master cylinder. Its a safety thing that really needs to be done.
Jimmy
1966 BBW long fleet Daily driver
1965 BBW short fleet Sold and going to a good home
1965 Suburban
2003 3500 Duramax
2005 Ultra Classic
PGSigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 10:03 AM   #3
vince1

There is a lot to be said for keeping it original because almost everyone puts in a V8. 235's must be getting rare so there is a cool factor there. Your truck though so do what you want. If upgrading be prepared to spend money and the more you spend the further you can go with it.

Dual brakes, collapsible steering shaft, almost a necessity from a safety standpoint. P.S is nice too.
vince1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 11:29 AM   #4
TJ's Chevy
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfunsixone View Post
Hey, total know-nothing about auto tech here.
Little backstory first, skip the first couple paragraphs if you want.
Got a '61 longbed fleetside C10 this summer. Wanted one for years, finally found a good deal on the year I wanted, got a bank loan, and got my truck. Love the thing. Figured this could be my gateway to wrenching on things. 236 I6, 5 speed manual with granny gear.
When I first got it, I thought I'd just keep it stock as possible and refurbish what I could afford to. Previous owner was a passionate young gearhead and did a ton of work on it. Rebuilt the engine and carb, new exhaust, new wiring harness, etcetera. Won't bore you with the details. Recently took it to my mechanic to get it a once-over and find out if I was an idiot for buying it. Happy to find out the frame is straight, no rust, and everything else is pretty damn good too.
He suggested I should save up and think about dropping a crate V8 in it, giving it some stance, front disc breaks, and some wider tires. I was content with my classic stock style, but now I can't get those mods out of my head. It would be badass. Especially the wider tires. Looks like a bodybuilder that skips leg day right now.
So my main questions are:
  • If I put a high horsepower (300-500) V8 in it, will I need a new transmission to handle it?
  • Will I also need a new rear axle and gearing to handle the extra power?
  • What do I need to change to get wider tires on it?
  • Brothers Trucks sells a front disc brake conversion kit with 2.5" drop spindles. Are such kits worth it or should I piece together higher quality parts?
If anybody took the time to actually read all that, I really appreciate it and I'd love some advice.
Thanks.
Any particular reason why you don't wanna hop up the 235 a bit? 6 cylinders can make some nice power to.
TJ's Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 01:25 PM   #5
Clyde65
1965 Chevy C10, 2005 4.8L/4l60

Welcome first off!

If $ is your #1 thought, you should maybe rethink your hobby choice.

Imo, it's your truck do what makes you happy. Disc brakes can be had with a donor, you can purchase drop spindles and springs for under $500 probably. All that would get you lower and safer for probably under $1k if you do the work.

Take things one thing at a time and save up some $ between upgrades and enjoy what you have completed. Good luck and keep us informed, pictures are needed ya know?

Rebuild of Clyde
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post8338184

69 Aristocrat Lo Liner build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post7561684

support our troops!
Clyde65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 01:55 PM   #6
vin63
It's Better With Nitro

Welcome and congrats! It sounds like you have a solid truck. Personally, on the safety side of things, I would update the brake hydraulic system, particularly if it still has the single cylinder master cylinder (or suicide cylinder as us old-timers often referred to them), to a dual cylinder unit. At that point I would upgrade to front disc brakes. Post some pics when you can.
Tubular front and rear suspension
Custom 6-piston front disc and 4-piston rear disc brakes
vin63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 03:52 PM   #7
forestb

The advanced search will be your best friend when looking for answers. All of these questions have been addressed in other threads and you will probably fined more thorough answers on other threads than people that will respond to this one. I am not saying this out of laziness but rather out of trying to find you the best information. You have to be logged in to use this function.

We live on pictures.
Attached Images

forestb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 09:46 PM   #8
rvrfoot

x2
rvrfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 01:23 AM   #9
'63GENIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ's Chevy View Post
Any particular reason why you don't wanna hop up the 235 a bit? 6 cylinders can make some nice power to.
This was going to be my first question. A hopped up 6 is way more unique to me and shows a ton of forethought has been put into the truck.

Really, the first thing that Id be looking at if it were mine would be the safety upgrades. Disc front brakes and split circuit hydraulics are a major improvement and IMO, mandatory. Rear disc, while cool looking aren't a real necessity. Gotta be able to stop at least as well and preferably better than it goes.

The collapsible shaft - another mandatory. You won't really see the benefit but the thought of being harpooned by my steering wheel without it gives me chills.

A good 3 point seatbelt set properly installed.

I read that you have a 5 speed w/ granny. What transmission do you have in it now? Is it overdrive?

One last thought. If I didn't need 5 - 600 ft lbs to pull the things that I tow and my truck had come with a 6, I would have built the 6. Maybe duals or FI - I tend to like being a little unique. Mine came with a 396 though. I initially thought about an LS swap and had bought an LQ4 to build.

Fast forward, after much reading and seeing that everyone was doing it, the LS parts were traded for a '97 fuel injected Big Block which I rebuilt mostly stock, retaining the factory FI system.
Not saying that its the only one out there or its exotic or that it was the easy way by any means but it does exactly what I need it to do and it fills the non cookie cutter requirement for me. People always ask me "got a small block in it?". My answer is always the same.... "yup".

In the end, build it the way you want it, thinking it through and making it yours but whatever you do, don't count out that 6 too quickly.

And get some pics up!

'63 k15 long step
Vortec 7.4 - L29 Blackbear tune, Five 0 Motorsports injectors, Chris Straub Cam, NV4500, divorced 205
52" front and 63" rear spring swap
D44 / 14bff - disc axles
Milemarker 9K and 10.5K hydraulic winches

63" & B52 Spring Install http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ng+swap+thread

NV4500 Reverse Build Thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=reverse+build

L29 - 7.4 Vortec Build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...&highlight=L29
'63GENIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 05:32 AM   #10
vince1

I wouldn't go too wild on the 235. They would run a lot of years at a max of 55 MPH but not handle the revs too well. The crank I would think has only four main bearings. I have seen two break, one in a 216 51 Chev farm truck, and another in a 223 Ford P/U.

For three point seat belt tips do a search here on DIY seat belt installation.
vince1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 11:38 AM   #11
TJ's Chevy
Post Whore

I've seen some 235's do 5000 rpm down a drag strip. lol

Cam, twin carbs. headers, and HEI is known to work nicely.
TJ's Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 03:31 PM   #12
shp4man

My truck still has drum brakes. They're adjusted and in good condition. Also the single line master cylinder. No power brakes or steering. The original steering column.
The original SM420 trans, a 250 engine. It does have a 3.73 rear end.
Oh, and seat belts. Nobody ever wore them back in the day, though.

I really enjoy driving it for those reasons. I have a modern truck for everyday use. To each his own.