The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-27-2017, 10:13 PM   #1
reed62

62 Door weatherstrip

Hey all,
I installed my new LMC door weatherstrips on the truck last night. Tonight I went to hang the doors and the passenger side seems to close pretty good but needs more alignment. The drivers door feels like the weatherstrip is too fat and won't let the door latch come close enough to make contact and latch. Is this related to a thread I saw about using Honda Civic door seals? I also thought I may have put them in the wrong way. I used the skinny triangular shaped side over the pinch weld so the fatter portion of the weatherstrip sits on the outside half of the pinch weld.

Any advice is appreciated.
reed62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 10:24 PM   #2
vin63
It's Better With Nitro

Re: 62 Door weatherstrip

Yeah, if you can, get rid of that glue-on weatherstrip and either get the Honda Civic press-on, or better yet, go with the Precision part number: DWP 1113 60 door seal kit.
Tubular front and rear suspension
Custom 6-piston front disc and 4-piston rear disc brakes
vin63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 12:10 AM   #3
'63GENIII

Just did the doors on my '63. I did power windows at the same time so the doors came off for a few weeks. They shut horribly before "the treatment".

I used the precision press on kit, wing windows and felts. They fit nicely yet they are a little slow to compress. The doors shut with a firm pull now instead of having to slam them (sometimes multiple times).

One thing to look at that I didn't notice until I pulled the doors off was that the hinges were worn. I rebuilt them. The other surprising thing was that A pillar areas where both of the upper hinges mount were cracked and needed welding.

The drivers latch was pretty beat up as well so that got cleaned really well, greased and reinstalled. Its ok for now. I happened to find a NOS drivers latch on eBay for cheaper than a china repop. Haven't installed it yet bc I haven't had time but I think that will round it out nicely.

Ive heard nothing but great thing about the Honda seals but really didn't have time to go find them in a JY and from what I understand are unavailable at a dealer.

Point is, check all of your hardware, the new weatherstripping is most likely different in some way than your originals and there are some out there that are so different that they just flat out won't work. So many members here recommended Precision that I felt that they were the ones to use. The same recommendations are what made me steer clear of the LMC seals.

'63 k15 long step
Vortec 7.4 - L29 Blackbear tune, Five 0 Motorsports injectors, Chris Straub Cam, NV4500, divorced 205
52" front and 63" rear spring swap
D44 / 14bff - disc axles
Milemarker 9K and 10.5K hydraulic winches

63" & B52 Spring Install http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ng+swap+thread

NV4500 Reverse Build Thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=reverse+build

L29 - 7.4 Vortec Build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...&highlight=L29
'63GENIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 09:43 AM   #4
reed62

Quote:
Originally Posted by '63GENIII View Post
Just did the doors on my '63. I did power windows at the same time so the doors came off for a few weeks. They shut horribly before "the treatment".

I used the precision press on kit, wing windows and felts. They fit nicely yet they are a little slow to compress. The doors shut with a firm pull now instead of having to slam them (sometimes multiple times).

One thing to look at that I didn't notice until I pulled the doors off was that the hinges were worn. I rebuilt them. The other surprising thing was that A pillar areas where both of the upper hinges mount were cracked and needed welding.

The drivers latch was pretty beat up as well so that got cleaned really well, greased and reinstalled. Its ok for now. I happened to find a NOS drivers latch on eBay for cheaper than a china repop. Haven't installed it yet bc I haven't had time but I think that will round it out nicely.

Ive heard nothing but great thing about the Honda seals but really didn't have time to go find them in a JY and from what I understand are unavailable at a dealer.

Point is, check all of your hardware, the new weatherstripping is most likely different in some way than your originals and there are some out there that are so different that they just flat out won't work. So many members here recommended Precision that I felt that they were the ones to use. The same recommendations are what made me steer clear of the LMC seals.
Thanks for the reply 63GENIII...So I replaced the left lower hinge with a better hinge off another door...but it was a RH upper. From what I can tell the only difference is that if you swap sides the pivot pin head is on the bottom rather than the top. Not sure if I am getting any binding from it with it being on the "wrong" side. I am going to put the old hinge back on and see if there is any change. I had these doors aligned really well prior to paint. However, I did not have the latch installed at that time. My guess is that the weatherstrip is causing the problem. I had a similar issue on my old 1950 Ford F-3. The doors would not close without really ramming them shut and I didn't feel like doing that every time I drove it so I removed it all and went without any. I didn't have any problems with rattling and the doors shut nicely. I will also remove the weatherstrip from the drivers door and see if they will shut properly. If it does work I may look into the Honda solution. Right now its as if the latch isn't even reaching striker and there isn't any adjustment on those. Very annoying indeed.
Old 04-28-2017, 01:06 PM   #5
reed62

Quote:
Originally Posted by '63GENIII View Post

They are available from the dealer for $97 per side (my dealer in Denver) and also fit 2006-2011 but just the Civic coupe only....not sedans. I also saw a website called hondapartscheap and they are priced as $43.76 per side. My local yard has a 2007 Civic Coupe that I will visit this weekend....they only charge $7 for weatherstripping.

Last edited by reed62; 04-28-2017 at 01:08 PM. Reason: add new info