The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-30-2017, 10:57 AM   #1
Pinchecharlie

What does this spring do?

Seems stupid but iam not totally understanding this set up. 65 column unknown if it's original or not. It's a 2 speed column shift so I assume a powerglide? Anyway like a dumba@# I cut the shaft to retro fit a better intermediate shaft/borgelson jointy set up and when I marked it for surgery forgot about this spring and clamp and NOW I think it may be to freaking short? The column is a pos and needs both bearings but I wasn't planning on buying a aftermarket column. I would if they didn't seem so unreasonably priced but maybe I should? I had planned to take the shaft in to be DD' d on the last inch .
So what exactly does this spring and clamp do?
Do I need it with a different shaft (intermediate)?
Should I blame my stupid wife for cutting the shaft to short?
Does the spring somehow control the slop in the steering wheel?
Does the spring allow for service at the steering gear box?
How many licks does it take to get to the center of a tootsie roll pop?
Measure twice cut once?
Thanks charlie
Attached Images

Pinchecharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 11:23 AM   #2
65chevysub

Re: What does this spring do?

If you end up replacing your column, consider a 72 pickup column. I have one and gained the tilt feature abd hazard lights. Also my original deluxe steering wheel fit on it. Not sure what trans you have but if you have a TH350 it is set up for that as well.
Just an option.
65chevysub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 11:33 AM   #3
Lugnutz65

That spring and clamp keep the steering shaft from pistoning up and down inside the steering sleeve. I think you can save things.

That spring can be cut shorter to give you a little more shaft.

I made a few changes to my steering column so I am familiar with what you are doing. However, I eliminated the 3 on the column linkages and shortened everything so my steering wheel would be closer to the dash.

It looks like you have enough shaft length to have a machine shop machine the end of the shaft to a DD shape. Then just bolt on the DD end of the U-joint. I bought one with a through bolt for added safety.
Attached Images

Want to know more about T5 transmissions? My website has a T5 Info Page and a Step by Step T5 rebuild.
Lugnutz65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 11:55 AM   #4
Pinchecharlie

Thanks guys! Lug nuts, when I put tension on the spring it makes the wheel turn rough like it's bound but if I leave it un sprung it lets the wheel pull up to much. Is there just a happy medium or do I have an adjustment at the top iam missing? Your set up was exactly what I had in mind it came out nice! Did you replace the bearings too? I just disassembled and re packed the lower and it still has a 1/16th slop. Just wondering if a new bearing was worth buying. The races in mine didn't look to bad but the wheel swims around in the column and thats what started this in the first place. Anyone have a magic sealed bearing they have sourced? Can you tell by the picture what exactly the column was made for? Thanks Charlie
Old 04-30-2017, 12:07 PM   #5
Lugnutz65

You can probably get away with cutting one or two turns off that spring to give you a little more length. The lower spring should not be compressed. Just snug.

I rebuilt my lower column bearing. Check your upper bearing to make sure it is seated properly. You should have no significant slop side to side or up/down once things are properly installed.

New upper and new lower bearings are available from vendors.
Attached Images

Want to know more about T5 transmissions? My website has a T5 Info Page and a Step by Step T5 rebuild.
Lugnutz65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 12:11 PM   #6
Wrenchbender Ret

The lower brg. should float on the shaft. The spring puts a preload on the brgs. & takes any slack out of the column. The lower brg. is usually froze to the shaft after all these years in a bad inviarnment . You probably need a lower brg. kit as you usually have to cut the sleeve off to get it out.
Wrenchbender Ret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 02:20 PM   #7
shp4man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrenchbender Ret View Post
The lower brg. should float on the shaft. The spring puts a preload on the brgs. & takes any slack out of the column. The lower brg. is usually froze to the shaft after all these years in a bad inviarnment . You probably need a lower brg. kit as you usually have to cut the sleeve off to get it out.
My truck needs a lower bearing. Do you have to completely remove the column and take off the wheel, turn signal plate and cover tube to replace it?
Thanks for any advice.
Old 04-30-2017, 04:54 PM   #8
Pinchecharlie

Wow absolutely great tech! Thank you!
I removed both bearings and ordered new ones. The lower one is odd as it has alot of room to wiggle around. Your right I think the spring oriented the bearing or as you said loads it. The upper I knew from reading was part of the plastic turn signal and must have been an aftermarket replacement because it looks like a nine year old Chinese kid made it with potmetal toaster parts. It easy has an 1/8 th inch slop in every direction. Poor design but it is what it is. I ordered another Chinese part before I realized it so well see if it's junk before I re order an nos one for 150 bucks. Either way it's better than a grand for a flamingididit column , at least right now? It'll take alot more anger and confusion to get there lol!

The lower bearing is in a aluminum housing that attaches to the steel "tube" part of the column in the engine bay. It is clamped with two bolts in a slot that from my minds eye allows it to rotate. If you go one direction it tightens the other it loosens correct? So it seems like a fine tune right?

I don't think you could get to the lower to remove it with the column in the truck unless you did what I did and cut your shaft. Maybe you could but it's a maybe. You would have to lift the shaft up as high through the upper bearing/ turn signal (or remove all that stuff) at the same time you would have to slide the lower bearing/ housing down the shaft to the rag joint.
NOPE CAN'T DO IT! The stock rag joint is welded on the shaft!
Only reason/way is if you cut it because your doing the power steering up grade thing! Sorry!!

Picture of curved slot and lower bearing housing. Seems like it raises and lowers as you turn it right (sorry iam dumb)
Other picture is upper bearing looks like a bearing for a kids toy ! Not that wrll thought out huh

Now I want to know too if you could service the lower without removing column lol! Maybe take off steering gear box and pass the shaft or under the fender?
Attached Images

Last edited by Pinchecharlie; 04-30-2017 at 05:05 PM.
Old 04-30-2017, 10:08 PM   #9
Wrenchbender Ret

That housing for the rear brg. adjusts the gearshift lever. After adjusting it you can slide on the lower brg. & snug it up with pressure on the spring & clamp. The steering wheel will need to be on & snugged down into position. My experience has been with the 67-72 columns but I think it works the same way.
Wrenchbender Ret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 10:13 AM   #10
Pinchecharlie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrenchbender Ret View Post
That housing for the rear brg. adjusts the gearshift lever. After adjusting it you can slide on the lower brg. & snug it up with pressure on the spring & clamp. The steering wheel will need to be on & snugged down into position. My experience has been with the 67-72 columns but I think it works the same way.
Ah thanks man! The curved slot right above that does the same I assume? I ordered a shop Manuel for 30 buck and got a big book of exploded views. I'll keep looking for a proper factory service Manuel. Thanks Charlie