The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-02-2017, 09:35 PM   #1
67farmtruck

Repeat Clog in Fuel Filter - Clean or Replace Tank?

67 C10 hasn't been driven for several years. I got it running but I only get 5-10 miles before the fuel filter is clogged and needs replaced.

I assume the tank is full of crud. Is it worthwhile to clean and seal it, or should I just replace it?
67farmtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 10:00 PM   #2
SCC1086

Re: Repeat Clog in Fuel Filter - Clean or Replace Tank?

I wonder if I've got a similar issue. Mine will crank, run, then slowly choke down. I've filled the tank to rule out running on empty. My issue started after I drove up the hill my street is on. It did it one time, now as soon as I get on the slightest incline the truck will start to lurch and choke out.
SCC1086 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 10:21 PM   #3
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
I empty the gas out of them, take the sender out, put some soap and water in them, slosh it around and dump it out then pressure wash the crap out of the inside. (so to speak) After you have that done blow it out with a long air nozzle, and put a couple of cans of Heat in it to absorb the moisture. I have had pretty good luck doing this.

Put a new sock filter on the end of the pickup tube and a new inline filter on it and see what happens. If you are running a Q-jet there is also a filter in the carb inlet. It picks up the really fine stuff that an inline filter won't catch. You will need to replace it too.

You will still get some sediment in the filter but that should take care of most of it.....

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 10:43 PM   #4
Wrenchbender Ret

On these models that have a new tank available reasonable I just replace it. It is worth the piece of mind that you won't get stranded somewhere. I sure wouldn't use those coatings. The stuff can come loose & you really have a mess.
Wrenchbender Ret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 10:45 PM   #5
saxart

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockDoc View Post
-
I empty the gas out of them, take the sender out, put some soap and water in them, slosh it around and dump it out then pressure wash the crap out of the inside. (so to speak) After you have that done blow it out with a long air nozzle, and put a couple of cans of Heat in it to absorb the moisture. I have had pretty good luck doing this.

Put a new sock filter on the end of the pickup tube and a new inline filter on it and see what happens. If you are running a Q-jet there is also a filter in the carb inlet. It picks up the really fine stuff that an inline filter won't catch. You will need to replace it too.

You will still get some sediment in the filter but that should take care of most of it.....

LockDoc
This is almost word-for-word for what I was going to say, except I don't do the "blow it out out with a long air nozzle, and put a couple of cans of Heat in it to absorb the moisture."

I just set it in the sun for a couple days...