The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-04-2017, 01:01 PM   #26
siggyfreud

Re: No Limit Fatbar - a bit frustrated at the moment

Update:

Spoke with NoLimit this AM. He didn't really have any measurements for a long-bed, as he said they changed enough that he wouldn't want to give me a measurement and end up wrong. I'm not sure what that's the case with longbeds but not short, but I guess I can understand the hesitation.

I'm going to clamp the front brackets on, get the bars on, and then set the rear as if the front brackets were welded, and ensure it all looks right. Then I'll tack it in.

As for the 4-link. He didn't say much about it other than if I send back the bad one they'd send me a new one. Hopefully they'll take a look at others before the go out, but I'm satisfied provided they're able to send me a new one in not too long of a turn-around.

I might use this opportunity to create some long-bed GMC instructions in case anyone runs into this issue in the future.
siggyfreud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 01:09 PM   #27
Mark T

I did have to modify the hump. I split it down the middle and flattened it out . Then I ran a bead down both on the inside and outside before grinding it down. It should be okay with that.
Mark T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 02:13 PM   #28
siggyfreud

Have you already installed your brackets? Any measurements you can share between the forward bracket and axle centerline? They should be about the same for me since it's only relative between axle CL and forward bracket, and not overall length of the frame.
Old 04-05-2017, 01:29 AM   #29
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Just to add a little info. The distance from the center of the differential to the end of the frame on a short bed is about 8" less than on a longbed.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 09:26 AM   #30
Mark T

It is 36" from the axle center line to the front edge of the bracket.
Old 04-05-2017, 09:27 AM   #31
siggyfreud

Awesome, thanks captain. I found it was 5.875 or so after moving the rear back about two inches, so that aligns with what I found!
Old 04-06-2017, 11:47 AM   #32
duallyjams

Just a side note my 66 GMC swb has the same dimples on the frame.

63 GMC V6 4speed carryall
65 chevy swb bbw V8 auto
68 K20 327/4 speed, buddy buckets
2002 GMC CC Dually Duramax

64 GMC lwb 3/4 V6 4speed SOLD
66 GMC swb bbw buddy buckets SOLD

IG duallyjams

The only thing that stays the same is constant change!
duallyjams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 12:40 PM   #33
siggyfreud

Quote:
Originally Posted by duallyjams View Post
Just a side note my 66 GMC swb has the same dimples on the frame.
Thanks for the info. I'm guessing they're mostly stuck with chevy frames then, or the shortbed dimples don't need to be removed, otherwise I'd think they'd have instructions on them.

Once I successfully install these I'm going to write-up install instructions for long-bed GMC owners, so this becomes an easier option for them as a way to move away from leaf springs.
Old 04-06-2017, 03:04 PM   #34
patrickk1

My experience with No-Limit was not great either. Ordered a whole front end and rear 3link. Told when parts would be shipped out. Parts shipped out over a month later than they were suppose to. Was never told that the spindles were out of stock. Waited 2-3 months for spindles. Practically destroyed the bushings putting the control arms on. Had to get another set of bushings (another 2-3month wait) and have them machined down because the front crossmember tweaked when they were welding it together. Anytime there was an issue, they were very adversarial. Yelled at me when I politely told them they may have shipped me the wrong rear tunnel hoop crossmember (they did ship me the wrong one). Hardly anything was "Bolt-on." In the end, I wish I would have just built a frontend and 3link from scratch. Instead, now I am just modifying there stuff.

1964 GMC pickup lwb ~ My newest build!
1937 Ford Coupe ~ Custom frame, LS1, quickchange
1950 Chevrolet 3100 ~ Bagged (Sold)
1931 Chrysler Roadster ~'32 Ford Frame, Channeled 8" (Originally a 60's show car)
1967 Chevelle ~ 454 Triple Black (Sold)
1964 Chevrolet Impala SS (Sold)
patrickk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 03:48 PM   #35
siggyfreud

Sorry to hear that Patrick. I'm excited to finish the 4 link, but I'll likely go with another brand when I consider my front end suspension modifications, even if the cost is higher. I'm sure there isn't any ill-intent on No Limit's part, I just get the impression from my experience and some other's feedback that selling and supporting these products is maybe a second priority to running the shop and doing custom work themselves. Or their used to other shops using their products, and aren't as eager or primed to support non-professions in doing so.

Last edited by siggyfreud; 04-06-2017 at 04:00 PM.
Old 04-11-2017, 04:14 PM   #36
siggyfreud

They shipped the new bar today, so they've been pretty responsive in getting me a replacement part. My damaged part arrived there today I believe as well. So even if my experience thus far has been mixed at least they were quick to help make it right.
Old 04-12-2017, 12:48 PM   #37
61K10

glad they got you a new piece. I had the same problem (different comp) after welding the threads weren't chased. Of course they said it was my fault at first.

my build is------------61K10 build
61K10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 05:20 PM   #38
Mark T

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickk1 View Post
My experience with No-Limit was not great either. Ordered a whole front end and rear 3link. Told when parts would be shipped out. Parts shipped out over a month later than they were suppose to. Was never told that the spindles were out of stock. Waited 2-3 months for spindles. Practically destroyed the bushings putting the control arms on. Had to get another set of bushings (another 2-3month wait) and have them machined down because the front crossmember tweaked when they were welding it together. Anytime there was an issue, they were very adversarial. Yelled at me when I politely told them they may have shipped me the wrong rear tunnel hoop crossmember (they did ship me the wrong one). Hardly anything was "Bolt-on." In the end, I wish I would have just built a frontend and 3link from scratch. Instead, now I am just modifying there stuff.
I am having the same problem with my lower arms. Did you have the bushings cut down? Neither side will fit. I took the sleeve out of the bushings and it was too long by its self.
Mark
Old 05-02-2017, 08:37 PM   #39
patrickk1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T View Post
I am having the same problem with my lower arms. Did you have the bushings cut down? Neither side will fit. I took the sleeve out of the bushings and it was too long by its self.
Mark
Since I had them send me extra bushings, I'm going to try sanding/grinding one down on a disc/belt sander. If I can't get it perfectly straight, I have a friend that I can have machine them down. I put my 64 GMC project on hold while I work on my 79.

1931 Chrysler Roadster ~'32 Ford Frame, Channeled 8" (Originally a 60's show car)
Old 05-02-2017, 09:48 PM   #40
Mark T

That's what I thought would be best too. They don't go overboard in support after the sale. Are your upper arms different too? I'm not sure which is right or left.
Thanks
Mark
Old 05-02-2017, 10:39 PM   #41
faribran

My son and I went thru very close to what Patrick (above) did....the parts did not fit as advertised "bolt in". We struggled with several connections.
If we called them, left a message, they rarely returned the call.
Old 05-02-2017, 10:59 PM   #42
Mark T

Quote:
Originally Posted by faribran View Post
My son and I went thru very close to what Patrick (above) did....the parts did not fit as advertised "bolt in". We struggled with several connections.
If we called them, left a message, they rarely returned the call.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-02-2017, 11:03 PM   #43
Mark T

Quote:
Posted via Mobile Device
It is a shame because everything looks well engineered. Just no support after the sale. And they update parts without changing the installation instructions. You are supposed to guess what they are thinking.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-03-2017, 08:13 AM   #44
patrickk1

Quote:
That's what I thought would be best too. They don't go overboard in support after the sale. Are your upper arms different too? I'm not sure which is right or left.
Thanks
Mark
They can go on either way based on your caster needs. See the link below. The link also shows that you may need to mod opening in the front crossmember for the lower control arm so that the suspensions cycles without interference when lowered.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=538248

If you bought the 3link, I would recommend you check which rear crossmember/driveshaft loop they sent you. If its the one they show in the picture on their website, it only works with stock ride height trucks. If you are lowering (let alone running shockwaves or airbags) the driveshaft will hit the crossmember. Simple way is to mock it up at ride height. My plan was to run my truck frame 5.5" off the ground at ride height. With the standard crossmember, the driveshaft hits their crossmember at ride height. He yelled at me when I brought it up to them. Before I placed my order with him, I called numerous times to talk to him and the person answering the phone said he would call me back. He never did. After weeks of hearing nothing, I placed my order. Given that I ordered the shockwaves, one would think that I wasn't driving the truck at ride height. He doesn't even show the two option for crossmembers on his website (the 3link wasn't even on his website when I ordered).

I am having to flip the crossmember over and reverse it so the hoop will be on top. I will have to cutoff the upper link bracket on the crossmember and re-weld it in the proper place (with link angles that are, in my opinion, better than what he had)