The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-28-2015, 09:46 AM   #1
dpetteng

Gas Caps

I have a 1972 C10 fleetside and the gas cap is loose. From research I think it is the wrong cap but which cap is correct? Locking preferably?

Confused between EEC and non-EEC etc.
dpetteng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 11:50 AM   #2
TexasLS1

Re: Gas Caps

You likely have EEC being that your truck is a '72. To confirm, check the upper driver's side corner of the tank near the filler neck - there will be 2 fittings connected by a 3" piece of rubber hose. Also, there will be a steel line and rubber hoses behind the seat in the corner of the pass side (the steel line runs up the "B" pillar and loops back down to the tank). If you have all of these, your tank is EEC.

To throw you a curveball - if your tank is NOT original, it may still have EEC but need a different cap. I put a new Spectra tank in my '72, but ended up having to use a '71 fuel cap. I have no idea why they used a larger diameter filler neck on a new repro 1972 tank, but a new or old '72 cap would not fit it. Hope this helps!!
TexasLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 11:59 AM   #3
TexasLS1

One question I just thought of - is the cap loose because the thin, crappy rubber gasket cracks or is too thin to seal when the cap is tightened?

I've had to cut my own gasket in the past from a thicker sheet of Buna and that worked very well for a long time - and no spills when I'd take a right turn with a full tank of gas haha! The rubber in new gas caps never last long for me. I guess it's typical of dry fuels nowadays and poor quality of replacement parts?

Last edited by TexasLS1; 09-28-2015 at 12:00 PM. Reason: learning to spell
Old 09-28-2015, 12:13 PM   #4
dpetteng

I think it is loose because its the wrong cap. I looked at the drivers corner of the tank and it had the filler neck and a thinner pipe next to it. Does this mean it is EEC??
Old 09-28-2015, 01:18 PM   #5
TexasLS1

Sounds like you do, yes. Non-EEC tanks do not have the small fittings next to the filler neck. I don't have a pic of the filler neck side here at work, but here's the pass side of my truck -
Attached Images

Old 09-28-2015, 01:31 PM   #6
Davidf

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasLS1 View Post
One question I just thought of - is the cap loose because the thin, crappy rubber gasket cracks or is too thin to seal when the cap is tightened?

I've had to cut my own gasket in the past from a thicker sheet of Buna and that worked very well for a long time - and no spills when I'd take a right turn with a full tank of gas haha! The rubber in new gas caps never last long for me. I guess it's typical of dry fuels nowadays and poor quality of replacement parts?
Haha, I had to do the same thing. Basically doubled up the gasket with EPDM (rubber) roofing material.
Davidf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 08:38 AM   #7
dpetteng

So I checked and my tank is the same as the picture above so I am assuming its an EEC tank.

So does anyone know where I can get a locking cap that will suit this?

Dave
Old 09-29-2015, 02:00 PM   #8
TexasLS1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpetteng View Post
So I checked and my tank is the same as the picture above so I am assuming its an EEC tank.

So does anyone know where I can get a locking cap that will suit this?

Dave
You should be able to get a new cap at any local parts store, as well as ordering from LMC, GMCPauls, Brothers, etc. You might take your original with you (if you go to a local parts house) in case your tank has ever been changed. '71 cap diameter is slightly larger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidf View Post
Haha, I had to do the same thing. Basically doubled up the gasket with EPDM (rubber) roofing material.
Haha good call on the EPDM! I hate that frustrating AND helpless feeling when you're turning right but watching fuel pour down the side of the truck!
Old 05-02-2017, 07:08 PM   #9
iriereggaeman

realizing it has been a couple years since the last post here...

Can you tell if this is an EEC tank?

a couple pictures from my '72 Suburban. I have 3 tubes going to/from the filler cap area:
Name:  IMG_4026.jpg
Views: 464
Size:  44.7 KB

Here's a wider view, also showing the 3 steel tubes
Name:  IMG_4027.jpg
Views: 455
Size:  47.5 KB

and a pic of my gas tube: (a little shy if 2 1/4" on the outside, 1 5/8" on the inside diameter)
Name:  IMG_4029.jpg
Views: 462
Size:  47.2 KB

Thanks for any help!
iriereggaeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 08:03 PM   #10
TexasLS1

Hmmm I've never gotten to mess with a suburban so I can't tell you for sure, but my p/u has 3 lines gong up through the cab floor to the tank, so I assume yours is EEC? 2 lines will run up to the sending unit, and one line will run to the right side of the tank, opposite of the filler neck (there should be roughly a 3/8" fitting there at the top right that the 3rd line eventually connects to).

Do you have any pics of the tank and or sending unit?
Old 05-04-2017, 09:38 PM   #11
iriereggaeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasLS1 View Post
Hmmm I've never gotten to mess with a suburban so I can't tell you for sure, but my p/u has 3 lines gong up through the cab floor to the tank, so I assume yours is EEC? 2 lines will run up to the sending unit, and one line will run to the right side of the tank, opposite of the filler neck (there should be roughly a 3/8" fitting there at the top right that the 3rd line eventually connects to).

Do you have any pics of the tank and or sending unit?
Thanks for the reply TexasLS1! I did get an answer on this thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...2&goto=newpost
iriereggaeman is offline   Reply With Quote